5 Posts

Forbidden Stars» Forums » Variants

Subject: The "nerv WAAAGH!" variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fax Gerat
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WAAAGH is too strong IMHO. Orcs have got a lot of dice and HP already, can easily deal a lot of damage and with WAAAGH they can also easily win any moral battle. WAAAGH! is OP (especially if compared to Sevenmathers excellent expansion).

I know that you might argue that you "simply" have to beat orcs in spacefight. Well, thats much harder than you might think. For one they get a lot of reinforcement-tokens (they even start with one) and can use those reinforcement-tokens together with Gretchin to easily kill your ships. And secondly their ships have got a lot of HP and one HardBoys plus two times WAAAAGH! will win every battle!

So I suggest a slight nerv to WAAAAGH! Only 2 Moralicons and a general abbility which goes like this: Either rally a unit or gain 1[M].

What do you guys think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fax Gerat
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orcs have also got the best order upgrade (werk fasta) and the best Event (How we gitz here?). And Orc Rocks is also pretty OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven mathers
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
Its funny because WAAGH is not a card that I have seen much of at my table. SOG and Biker Nobs seems much more appealing, but when you look at it closely, its a very tough card to beat if you are lucky enough to have 2 in your hand.

In a way, it is like the Orks version of Ambush. It has been made very OP because it is a left-field strategy for that faction, so just by holding it, you are playing mind games with your opponent, even if you dont play it.

Thinking about it now, when faced with an Ork WAAGH, you have to combat it with guns, same as when facing tyranids.

He buys WAAGH, you buy your most offensive card. the threat of him playing WAAAGH means you cannot afford to be defensive. You have to be prepared to take casualties in order to inflict more than you receive.

I think if you are the Orks and you have a large army (which is tough to beat anyway) and 2 WAAGH cards, there is almost nothing any faction can do. Your only recourse is to screen space defensively to slow down the tide, and to treat 'everybody dies' in space as a win for you. He plays gretchin, you play all your guns.

It may be that the Orks are designed to be unbeatable on the ground if you let them gather in masses. Im OK with that as long as its strategically feasible to beat them overall by avoiding that situation as much as possible. Which is really cool ,because it makes playing them or against them so much more interesting and nuanced than smashing evenly matched armies into one another, head to head all the time.

Things I can think of (which may be easier to say than to put into practice)

- low skull planets are your friends. You cant stop the Orks advancing thru space everywhere, so prioritise defending access to high skull planets - let them land on low skull planets and fight them there.

- Orks need Boyz for dice and card effects. Boyz cost money. Like the Nids, make them defend their resource base or they run out of steam, even if it costs you the opportunity to increase your own resources - a low resource game on both sides favours the Orks opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fax Gerat
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry man, but if you are not playing orcs with WAAAGH you aint seen nothing yet.

WAAAGH rallies your 4 HP Nobs, your Boyz give you dice and guntokens with WAAAGH. WAAAGH is by far the strongest CL0 card of all the races (getting Sea of Green as well further improves WAAAGH). Your ideas sound like someone who hasnt really fought a proper orcplayer yet, sorry.

Orc used to be the strongest race in the original set on our table with winning around 33% of the games. Orc completely trashes all the new races.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
warim tatarin
Germany
flag msg tools
maerlyn wrote:
Sorry man, but if you are not playing orcs with WAAAGH you aint seen nothing yet.

WAAAGH rallies your 4 HP Nobs, your Boyz give you dice and guntokens with WAAAGH. WAAAGH is by far the strongest CL0 card of all the races (getting Sea of Green as well further improves WAAAGH). Your ideas sound like someone who hasnt really fought a proper orcplayer yet, sorry.

Orc used to be the strongest race in the original set on our table with winning around 33% of the games. Orc completely trashes all the new races.

I completely agree with your statement

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.