Popular Tags: [View All]
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My game examples are limited because my knowledge of board games are limited so please offer more examples of the different types I listed. Thanks!

Poll
1. How much do you like non-2 player games with player elimination? (Such as Diplomacy, Risk, Monopoly...)
Like them
Somewhat like them
Neutral (eh,...)
Somewhat not like them
Not like them
I won't play them at all
2. How much do you like 2-player only (non-cooperative) games? (Such as Chess, Checkers, Go...)
Like them
Somewhat like them
Neutral (eh,...)
Somewhat not like them
Not like them
I won't play them at all
3. How much do you like cooperative games? (Such as Pandemic, Eldritch Horror, Police Precinct,...)
Like them
Somewhat like them
Neutral (eh,...)
Somewhat not like them
Not like them
I won't play them at all
4. How much do you like games with additional VP's added up during final scoring? (Such as Lords of Waterdeep, Clank!, Puerto Rico,...)
Like them
Somewhat like them
Neutral (eh,...)
Somewhat not like them
Not like them
I won't play them at all
5. How much do you like games where there is no additional end of game scoring, you get what you earned during the game? (Such as Kingsburg, Adventure Land - Scenrario 1, Dominion,...)
Like them
Somewhat like them
Neutral (eh,...)
Somewhat not like them
Not like them
I won't play them at all
      98 answers
Poll created by killerjoe1962
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Voted "like them" on all but the first! I mean, they're games, so...generally I like 'em all! I'm not a big fan of player elimination, but some games handle it better than others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Whetstone
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind player elimination but I generally have thick skin.

I know I'm in the minority around here but I really dislike the general way of games today where you find some seemingly arbitrary stopping point and then change over to a handing out of the ribbons ceremony. It's such a dull way of ending a game. I like a game to be completed within itself and not outside the game by doing what feels like checking off marks on a survey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WetRock wrote:

I know I'm in the minority around here but I really dislike the general way of games today where you find some seemingly arbitrary stopping point and then change over to a handing out of the ribbons ceremony. It's such a dull way of ending a game. I like to game to be completed within itself and not outside the game by doing what feels like checking off marks on a survey.

I'm not sure I know what games you're talking about but I understand your sentiment for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Player elimination, for me the answer is, it depends. Cash and Guns would be a good example of player elimination that works well. You can get eliminated, but it's pretty rare that the resulting downtime is more than a few minutes, and being able to knock someone out actually adds to the gameplay.

Regarding some of the others, and at the risk of painting with too broad a brush, I'd say that people prefer games where you have a chance to win right up to the end, even if you've not played well, or have been unlucky. For that reason, many games either have a wide luck distribution, or an acceleration, where you can gain relatively more points later in the game. You might call it the double lightning round effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamer_Dog wrote:
Player elimination, for me the answer is, it depends. Cash and Guns would be a good example of player elimination that works well. You can get eliminated, but it's pretty rare that the resulting downtime is more than a few minutes, and being able to knock someone out actually adds to the gameplay.

Regarding some of the others, and at the risk of painting with too broad a brush, I'd say that people prefer games where you have a chance to win right up to the end, even if you've not played well, or have been unlucky. For that reason, many games either have a wide luck distribution, or an acceleration, where you can gain relatively more points later in the game. You might call it the double lightning round effect.

It took me quite a while to put this poll together and it was because I was trying to paint as broad a stoke as possible otherwise there would too many sub-categories as you have mentioned.

Thanks for participating!
thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DZ Woloshyn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
WetRock wrote:

I know I'm in the minority around here but I really dislike the general way of games today where you find some seemingly arbitrary stopping point and then change over to a handing out of the ribbons ceremony. It's such a dull way of ending a game. I like a game to be completed within itself and not outside the game by doing what feels like checking off marks on a survey.

Agreed.

Indeed, I prefer games in which the winner is determined by something other than points. For example: I lasted the longest, or arrived first, or produced the most of something, or achieved my/our goal(s) first/before-time-ran-out, or played all my cards first, or solved the puzzle fastest, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally prefer a non-VP win condition, and I think that "add up points at the end" is a rather unsatisfying way to end a game, but VPs (or the functional equivalent, like money earned, etc.) are the only successful way I've seen to adequately score the types of complex games I really enjoy, so I'm happy to add up VPs at the end and discover who won.

Pete (doesn't play those types of games for the "thrill" of them anyway)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, I like a "victory condition" ending like in Eldritch Horror, solve 3 mysteries and you win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
WetRock wrote:

For most people who dislike it, it has nothing to do with not having a thick skin. It's about eliminated players simply having to wait while the others finish the game.

Quote:
I know I'm in the minority around here but I really dislike the general way of games today where you find some seemingly arbitrary stopping point and then change over to a handing out of the ribbons ceremony.

I understand the feeling. I thought this was odd when I met the hobby, but I quickly got used to it, at least regarding Euros. When it comes to Ameritrash, it still feels weird to me when all the conflict just ends after a certain number of rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Hoiland
United States
Sidney
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer when games don't have an "end-game accounting phase" as to me it makes the win much less dramatic. On the other hand, my favorite games work this way so I guess it isn't a big deal to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.