Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Archipelago» Forums » General

Subject: Market with two rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Board Together
msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Finally got around to playing our first game and we really liked it, worked fine with two. Only issue was that the market wasn't used very much. Perhaps it was our play style or maybe we did something wrong. I was debating starting out with the items on the second row to ramp up the intensity, or maybe randomly just adding one or two extra items to it. Thoughts?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We've found that every game has played very differently. I'd suggest leaving it as is and playing a few more times.

There is a fear interplay between aspects that influence the market: exploring (and putting a resource there), seeking items so that resources are available in a crisis, the victory conditions and end conditions, etc.



3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
We've found that every game has played very differently. I'd suggest leaving it as is and playing a few more times.


Sound advice. There are a lot of moving parts in this game, some will be more active in some games and less so in others.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Together
msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Malacandra wrote:
We've found that every game has played very differently. I'd suggest leaving it as is and playing a few more times.

There is a fear interplay between aspects that influence the market: exploring (and putting a resource there), seeking items so that resources are available in a crisis, the victory conditions and end conditions, etc.




Yeah I wondered about that and we only played the short game but we never touched the foreign market.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HEEREN Xavier
Belgium
Liège
Lièe
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
BoardTogether wrote:
Malacandra wrote:
We've found that every game has played very differently. I'd suggest leaving it as is and playing a few more times.

There is a fear interplay between aspects that influence the market: exploring (and putting a resource there), seeking items so that resources are available in a crisis, the victory conditions and end conditions, etc.




Yeah I wondered about that and we only played the short game but we never touched the foreign market.


interior market is very useful to calm crisis, without it, it s quiet hard to finish the game without revolution

foreign market is a fast way to have money ... :)

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Together
msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
cmoipap wrote:
BoardTogether wrote:
Malacandra wrote:
We've found that every game has played very differently. I'd suggest leaving it as is and playing a few more times.

There is a fear interplay between aspects that influence the market: exploring (and putting a resource there), seeking items so that resources are available in a crisis, the victory conditions and end conditions, etc.




Yeah I wondered about that and we only played the short game but we never touched the foreign market.


interior market is very useful to calm crisis, without it, it s quiet hard to finish the game without revolution

foreign market is a fast way to have money ...



Does anything affect Foreign market during the game besides the players?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Foreign crises take cubes away from the foreign market. There are a few evolution cards that add/remove cubes from the domestic or foreign markets. That's all, I believe.

But mostly, the foreign market is the best place to sell cubes for money. In my games of Archipelago, I've found ports and the foreign market used very heavily. Pineapples and ports is considered the dominant strategy, that you want to build up if you get the right hexes.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Together
msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
tim_p wrote:
Foreign crises take cubes away from the foreign market. There are a few evolution cards that add/remove cubes from the domestic or foreign markets. That's all, I believe.

But mostly, the foreign market is the best place to sell cubes for money. In my games of Archipelago, I've found ports and the foreign market used very heavily. Pineapples and ports is considered the dominant strategy, that you want to build up if you get the right hexes.


With more players it seems it would be used more thus why I thought about adding some extra cubes to make it more dynamic.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardTogether wrote:
Finally got around to playing our first game and we really liked it, worked fine with two. Only issue was that the market wasn't used very much. Perhaps it was our play style or maybe we did something wrong. I was debating starting out with the items on the second row to ramp up the intensity, or maybe randomly just adding one or two extra items to it. Thoughts?


Did you play the short game? I always play the long game 2P and it's hard to imagine surviving the crisis cards without selling lots of food to the domestic market.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion, the short game is is very random, and not useful for anything more than a training game (and I'd still prefer Medium).

The Medium game is good, but the Long game is where it shines.

Certainly in Medium and Long, the markets will get a lot of use - the more successful players tending to build and use a port or market (mostly port) on the first turn, and use it every turn thereafter...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.