Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zed Z
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This has probably already been suggested, but I'll throw it out there, because there are probably many flaws with it, and I need suggestions to fine tune it. My suggestion is to use the catapult tiles when placed normally during your turn, to destroy a nearby tile removing it from the play area and putting it back in the supply, and returning any meeples on the destroyed tile back to the owner. This makes much more sense for a "catapult" theme, than what you're supposed to do. Here are the main problems I've found with removing tiles from the board.
1. Especially near the beginning of the game, removing tiles can orphan other tiles so they are no longer connected to the rest of the board. Therefore, removing certain tiles should not be allowed. Or just allow the orphaned pieces remain orphaned and if you're able to reconnect the two sections of the layout together on a later turn, you get bonus points.
2. Removing river tiles, or other "starting" tiles makes them easy to identify if put back in the supply (unless you have the bag). Also if you redraw the destroyed river tile, do you have to try and put it back, or can you put it anywhere it will fit on the board?
3. If you destroy the tile where the dragon is and it's taken off the board, and all of the volcanoes have already been played, then the dragon can never come back in play (unless you destroy a volcano tile with the catapult later), potentially voiding any dragon tiles left in the supply.
4. Barns and castles sit on more than one tile, but if part of the tile base for a barn or castle is removed, then you'll have to return the barns and castle meeples to the owners.
5. Removing tiles allows for the opportunity of cities, roads, and monasteries to be scored more than once. You could remove part of a completed city, and then a player on a subsequent turn could complete the city again and place their meeple in it to score.
6. What do you do with the destroyed tower pieces on a destroyed tower tile. They can't really be returned, so are they just discarded?
7. I'm not sure how to limit the range of the catapult, maybe with a die roll?

There are probably a dozen other issues with removing tiles that will have to be addressed, and I'm sure this mechanism has probably been discussed on a carcassonne forum in the past, but I couldn't find anything recent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.