Heave Ho!» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Even a Mucho Macho Nessie Couldn't Save Me rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chris carleton
bon accord
flag msg tools
What're you looking at!
Heave Ho is a fun game, although by no means deep and rather luck dependent. It is entertaining if your in the mood for that kind of game. We have played it about a half a dozen times and are enjoying it as an amusing diversion.

Me: Glenfiddich
Penny: Bowemores

Round 1:

We play with the team building, in which you hurriedly decide which cards in your deck you want for yourself and which you want to give your opponent. Some of the choices are six of one and half a dozen of the other, but some make a difference. My wife usually gets finished before I do, and this round was no exception.

Penny got the jump on me right from the first. Like a tug of war, countering momentum can be difficult. I played a Rope Breaks card (our game is all in German, so I don't know if I have the proper names for these cards) to get the rope going in my direction, but Penny played an Adrenaline Rush, sabotaged my team, and finished me off while I sought reinforcements.

Me: 0
Penny: 1

Round 2:

Surprisingly, I won the team building, so I took advantage of this and played the Adrenaline Rush to pull it further on my side. Penny managed to get it back on her side and was ahead, but I played a Weak Wins and got the rope going in my direction again.

I played Nessie, which Penny then pulled to her side, and I then gave her the boot. Two Heave-Hos later, I won the barrel.

Me: 1

Round 3:

I won the team building yet again, and then proceeded to get hammered by two Heave Hos as the barrel was now on her side. She then played Nessie, hoping to finish me off, but my score was so much lower with the addition of Nessie, that I played Weak Wins and got the barrel to my end!

Me: 2

Round 4:

Penny clobbered me in the team building and got to sort out my last four cards. Penny also got off to an early lead, but I managed to pull the barrel back to my side with Weak Wins, only to have it pulled right back by a Heave Ho and an Adrenaline rush.

Then there was a long stand off with the barrel close to Penny's end, and we got down to a few cards. Penny had been holding on to Nessie, but wasn't sure if the Nessie Loses card was out. Finally she played Nessie and won the barrel.

Penny: 2

Round 5:

This is what it all came down to. I won the team building and we started off pulling the barrel back and forth a few times.

Then I played the Dirty Trick card. Unfortunately nothing in my wife's hand was terribly tempting, so I settled for Mucho Macho, played it and booted out a large Scots woman on her side of the board. I then played Nessie, but it was immediately covered.

The balanced shifted to Penny's side. I played Weak Wins, but it didn't help--she was unstoppable.

Final Score

Penny: 3

This is a pretty fast and furious game because you can play on your opponent's side to sabotage him, as well as build you own side of the tug of war. It can be pretty hard to reverse the situation when you are being dragged to defeat, but it can be fun trying.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.