Subject: PnP With Double Sided Hexes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mango Dragon
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm currently working on a board game where our main mechanic is laying down hexes to create a dynamic board (or rather, a track, as this is a racing game). The other side has parts players can add to their vehicles, as well as effects they can use on the road or on other racers.

If we wanted to generate a print and play version either for playtesting or selling, that would either require printing correctly double sided on the same sheet of paper, or cutting up twice as many hexes and gluing them together. Both of these seem difficult, almost inaccessible. Are there games that have done this and have some idea I'm not thinking of or is this logistically not worth it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely doable. Magic Realm has a print-and-play version fans made, which has quite a few double-sided hexes. I've also designed print-and-play games with double-sided hexes. Those who are interested will make them, don't worry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Herr
United States
Palos Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely it's doable. I would go the two separate sheets route and glue them to a chipboard core. Check the DIY forum, there are several good methods for getting both sheets to line up correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are wanting something straightforward for playtesting purposes, you can simulate the topology of hexes perfectly using rectangular cards, which are far easier to make.

Example...

+-----+-----+
| | |
+--+--+--+--+--+--+
| | | |
+--+--+--+--+--+--+
| | |
+-----+-----+

It may not be what you want to do, but I find doing this very useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Or just print two hexes next to each other (front and back of the same hex) with good bleed around the cut line. The cut line only needs to be on one of them. Print, fold, glue, cut. Done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mango Dragon
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you all for the suggestions so far. I especially like the idea of printing front and back side by side, but all of those could work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.