8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Conan vs DOOM vs The Others rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Germany
flag msg tools
Hi,

I am on the fence of deciding between those three games. How much do they differ, especially in terms of complexity (easy to teach) and immersion (does the theme shine through? does it tell a story depending on player actions?)

Just curious what you think

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Control Denied
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Iceskaarj wrote:
Hi,

I am on the fence of deciding between those three games. How much do they differ, especially in terms of complexity (easy to teach) and immersion (does the theme shine through? does it tell a story depending on player actions?)

Just curious what you think

Thanks in advance!

Haven't played the other (being Conan and The Others), but I picked up DOOM.

Complexity: The big reason why I picked up DOOM. The gameplay of these kinds of games are very appealing to gamers, but often are very complicated to learn. DOOM is very simple, but has a decent amount of strategy (not huge, but there are various kit-combination that you can play and plenty of different classes to play).

Immersion: DOOM captures the feeling of the new video game very well. There's not so much a story, but they incorporated the glory kill mechanism (melee finish) that pushes up the aggression and turns gameplay into a frag-fest. Turn order is random (so one side can get multiple turns in a row) which can potentially cause blowouts, which might be a "story" if you like. Also there are big power spikes mid-game when Marines pick up special weapons (like the Chainsaw) or when the overlord spawns large creatures (like the Cyberdemon) that might also be "story" moments as well. But story, in the ordinary sense, is absent from DOOM.

I would recommend DOOM if you are expecting to play with newish gamers where The Others and Conan might be too intimidating or if you want a game that is just a frag-fest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruud
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord - Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played doom, but own both the Others and Conan.

Both are not too hard to teach. I think conan is a little easier, because it plays a lot like a regular dungeon crawler. The Others is more of a chess-feel, sacrifcing your guy when the sitaution demands it. You really are puzzling to spend your 'resources' optimally.
Conan is way more freeform.

I do think that Conan's crystal management system is very elegant and well thought out of. Of the two, Conan is my favorite.

My experience with games like DOOM (from Imperial Assault and Descent) si that it feels a bit more mechanical. But in any case it's probably more rules dense than either the Others or Conan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own The Others but haven't played it yet. I am completely unfamiliar with the other 2.

However, I've done my homework on The Others so can offer some information.

- It does not have a built-in coherent story.
- It is a 1 versus many game with 1 player playing as one of the sins and all other players playing as the heroes.
- Based on looks and hearsay, The Others is a game that definitely draws you in as a player. Thematically and artistically it looks awesome! This is particularly true if you like miniatures. There's also a bunch of additional content so if you like the game there is plenty more to buy in order to play as different sins and/or heroes.

Conan does have a lot more material coming out this year though so it's going to catch up to The Others very quickly in terms of available content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Musgrove
United States
Royse City
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own or have played all 3. I have also own Doom V1, IA, and Descent V1.
All 3 (Doom, The Others, and Conan) all play similar. Yes, the mechanics are all slightly different but they all have the 1 vs many feel. The many feels like a coop game, and the 1 seems more like a vs game.

I would go with the theme that is most appealing. Space marines killing monsters, fantasy Conan killing stuff, or man’s last hope trying to stop the end of the world. Look at all three sets of minis. Whichever one looks the coolest get that and enjoy.

With all of them you will need to buy at least one extra set of dice.

All that being said here are some differences.

The Others
A lot harder on the players. If the players want to win, often they will have a problem with this game.
No campaign

Conan
Conan is the hero. The other are more for support.
The Crystal mechanic is clever
Its the Conan universe. If you don't like scantily or less dressed women in the game you may have an issue with this one.

Doom
Probably the cleanest play of the FFG games. FFG has been doing these games for a long time and they have really refined it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Having owned all three, I agree with the above. Though in my personal opinion the others is the better game of the three. Doom is a simplified version of imperial assault, descent etc, it's fun, but the others felt like a simpler more dynamic game, I don't even really like the theme, it's just more original. Though even that has its problems, mostly fostered by the cmon kickstarter format, though they are minor.

Conan has the best overlord system in my opinion, and perhaps has the greatest fun factor; though there are limited scenarios, rule books issues, miniatures that arent used in scenarios, and up and coming batman game with the same mechanics, the whole theme/ sexism issue so I jumped ship on it once I'd played through the lot. Fun while it lasted though.

Another game in this style is the turtles game shadows of the past - which is most comparable to Conan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Locrian wrote:
Conan has the best overlord system in my opinion, and perhaps has the greatest fun factor; though there are limited scenarios, rule books issues, miniatures that arent used in scenarios, and up and coming batman game with the same mechanics, the whole theme/ sexism issue so I jumped ship on it once I'd played through the lot. Fun while it lasted though.

Just for the record. The three big Conan expansions (Nordheim, Khitai, Stygia) will be out this year. And they have promised several web-published scenarios that utilize all the miniatures that they have put out (one or two scenarios are out so far).

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
Many thanks for your responses... I decided to go with Doom, since it looks like the most finished product out of the three and also the most fun, that can be played by casual gamers, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.