Dick Hunt
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know how the colored hexes work. I just don't understand how the water hexes without colored borders work. Is there anything special about them? They all have colored symbols in their centers.

Can ships land on them (by matching die symbols instead of matching die colors)? If so, how are they any different from the hexes with colored outlines?

But if not, do the borderless water hexes have some other property? For example, are you prevented from traveling to or through them?

Also, if you can't land on them, there's at least one city (I think it's the red one) you can't possibly reach because neither of the hexes on its piece has a border!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two sides to the tiles - those with colored borders, and those with only the symbol in the center. I recommend using the same side for all of the tiles within any given game (so either having all the tiles on the colored-border side, or all on the symbol-only side).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the game in front of me but I am looking at the online rule book and I don't see any water tiles without borders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey W

Bonney Lake
Washington
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DSHStratRat2 wrote:
I know how the colored hexes work. I just don't understand how the water hexes without colored borders work. Is there anything special about them? They all have colored symbols in their centers.

Can ships land on them (by matching die symbols instead of matching die colors)? If so, how are they any different from the hexes with colored outlines?

But if not, do the borderless water hexes have some other property? For example, are you prevented from traveling to or through them?

Also, if you can't land on them, there's at least one city (I think it's the red one) you can't possibly reach because neither of the hexes on its piece has a border!

You either set up the board with all color-bordered water hexes or flip them over and play with the colored symbols in the center. Don't mix them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Hunt
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CashLiam wrote:
You either set up the board with all color-bordered water hexes or flip them over and play with the colored symbols in the center. Don't mix them.

In other words, there's no difference. So what's the point of making them so visually different? Why not just let the symbols do all the work, and ditch the colored borders? Or vice versa, of course.

The game setup says that all tiles are functionally the same on both sides, and I can play them with either side up. It doesn't say they all have to be with/without borders. And if the bordered/unbordered water hexes work the same way, then why have both styles???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DSHStratRat2 wrote:
In other words, there's no difference. So what's the point of making them so visually different?

So that people who like the border can use that side, and people who don't like the border can use the other side. Everyone is happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Help with color blindness maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For completeness, this is at the top of page 3 in the rules:
Quote:
Note: The front and back of the tiles are functionally identical. Use whichever side you prefer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Davis
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DSHStratRat2 wrote:
...So what's the point of making them so visually different?

Given how close red and pink are in this game, we always play with the no-boarder side, requiring players to rely on the symbols instead. It cut way back on the 'is that pink or red' question. It also looks much less busy to me.

-Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MattDavisFLA wrote:
DSHStratRat2 wrote:
...So what's the point of making them so visually different?

Given how close red and pink are in this game, we always play with the no-boarder side, requiring players to rely on the symbols instead. It cut way back on the 'is that pink or red' question. It also looks much less busy to me.

-Matt

Unfortunately, the islands themselves still require the hex outline, and the red/pink islands are still hard to tell apart. When using the hex water side, I use those to tell which color is which.

Another point about the non hex water tiles, is that the icon can get covered by multiple ships occupying the space. But this doesn't really happen often, just something to consider.

I like using the non hex side, just looks smoother I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Pfefferle
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
The benefit of the bordered water tiles is that you can easily see a tile's color even with ships on them.

The benefit of the borderless water tiles is that it makes the map look prettier - but occassinaly you have to lift other players' ships to check a tile's color/symbol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Zeeb
Germany
flag msg tools
I just wanted to confirm what Andy, Steve and Markus said.

Both sides can have merits in recognizing the hexes. However, people tend to be condused when the sides are mixed.

As we could not decide, which version was better (and more pretty) till the very end, we decided to include both versions.

Martin
for H@llgames, translator of Delphi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.