Subject: Splitting Combats rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Killa Mini's
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, the rules state that you split combats... One on One or groups. My question is with Groups??

I'm curious as to the understanding as groups. Does that mean I could have 3 walkers as a Group roll Vs a 2 man Survivor Group. I state this way as to say I would then roll all dice at once.
IE.. 3 Walker Group Vs Rick and Carl Group.

So Rick and Carl Roll a White Die+ White(weapon) and a Red Die.
The Walkers roll 6 Dice accounting for Outnumbering Rule.

The reason I ask is as a Group, you have alot more options and possibilities of successes as you combine your dice.

When your outnumbered it might not exactly be beneficial. However, if you outnumber the walkers, the major benefit being able to mitigate one persons poor roll vs a walker ( had they been one on one).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick McBrearty
New Zealand
flag msg tools
The split combat has been handled relatively elegantly by the rulebook. I need to refer to it frequently to make sure I am getting it right but this is what I understand from your question.

Rick and Carl are in a combat with 3 walkers. Do the walkers benefit from outnumbering? Looking at the rules on pg 25, the walkers do benefit from outnumbering. Both Rick and Carl are the same faction. You roll up the total of Rick and Carl's dice and compare that to the 6 dice the 3 wakers will roll.

I think double teaming a walker is an excellent strategy as well as finishing off prone models.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DaveB
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now thats confusing or we've been playing all wrong!

ref rules
P19 top right, Split combats says "This must result in a melee with only one model on one side or both of the sides" So Rick and Carl fight separately, one against one and the other v two outnumbered?

p25 Multiple Melee is for 3 sided fights and doesn't apply here?

Where is the group split rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gábor Both
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 22 explains it pretty clearly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DaveB
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I mean't was where is the rule that lets a split result in a group fighting a group?

p22 is 3 way fight again, not the OPs situation.

I think that if there is a group fighting a group you need to split further until one side is an individual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gábor Both
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think p22 is pretty clear, but another explanation is on the back: "Split combats so that only one model is on one or both sides. All models must fight."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DaveB
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So we're agreed, a melee cannot be a group v a group.

Exception being two opposing survivors fighting, both of whom may be "supported" by Zs depending on how the initiative player splits it.

So back to the OPs situation, Rick and Carl cannot team up against more than one Z.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick McBrearty
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Agreed! If I go back to reading the whole of the Melee Phase from pg 21, what everyone has said makes much more sense. I stand corrected but I am grateful for that. I want to play the game as correctly as possible after all!
I think I have a bit too much 40K influencing my understanding of melee!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DaveB
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah - too many games. Half the time, I read threads like this and think is that another I've got wrong!
Whats more annoying is when it is, and the game becomes less enjoyable. House rules rule - or not, but possibly....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.