Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
P Santos
United States
LAS VEGAS
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
The KS page says 13+yo. The rulebook says 13+yo. I read the rulebook, looks simple enough (except for the Fable and Friend card interactions), and wondered why 13+yo, instead of 10yo (8yo might be a stretch). There has to be a reason why the designers chose 13+. Would like to know why.

Also, the retail price when it comes out. Read a post somewhere, it'll be $50. Really? That expensive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
US regulations about minimum ages for different types of product testing are the most likely reasons for the age range given. Once you go below 13, the tests start getting crazy expensive. Toddler toys and games are even worse. While I appreciate the intent behind the law, the unintended consequences have hurt many small toy and game makers by pricing them out of the market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Small plastic pieces = choking hazards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P Santos
United States
LAS VEGAS
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
anomander64 wrote:

Choking hazards for 12yo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ppsantos wrote:
anomander64 wrote:

Choking hazards for 12yo?

Do you remember the whole "Johnny's Toys" segments from SNL Classic episodes? "Johnny's Bag O Glass, Johnny Switchblade, etc." They were way ahead of their time on the whole "Toys are dangerous" bandwagon...

And it's worth a watch if you get a chance and haven't seen it.

(And again - I get it. Lead paint, poor quality control, parts that break easily, and similar in toys for tots are not good things. I still think the regulation went too far.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P Santos
United States
LAS VEGAS
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
glookose wrote:
Yes the rules below age 13 do get a bit restrictive.

The price point we think is very competitive when you look at the amount of content that is going into the box.

The amount of content is also increasing almost daily as we burn through more and more stretch goals on Kickstarter.

All of those things that are being added in are at no extra cost to the consumer - they just become possible as the Kickstarter grows through economy of scale.

We are trying as hard as we know how to make the box be full of content and the experience of playing be rich and rewarding.

We are also subsidizing a big chunk of the shipping costs, to make it as easy as possible on people in the face of steadily rising shipping costs in the US and around the world, to support us and help the game grow on Kickstarter.

No matter the additional contents, the core gameplay remains the same: gather and build. Player won't get a significantly different play experience. I just don't think the additional contents past a certain level (troll mini, for example, esp when the troll wasn't drawn) adds anything more, except increase the cost.

Speaking of price, I'm realizing this is way too expensive for me, considering other similar games available. For the price of $50, I could buy two games that I've wanted (Takenoko $30 and Jaipur $20). Not really sure, additional contents would not make Grimm not outlasts its welcome (as basically a gather-and-build game, plus hundreds of fable/friends cards). You could only put so much icing on the cake.

Sadly, I was considering this for its beautiful artwork, but with the price, I'll stay on the sidelines. New games come out very often nowadays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.