Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: The Black Market - Draft Printing available! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Folks,

After far, far too long, I'm very pleased to share the initial draft printing of THE BLACK MARKET at:

http://www.printerstudio.com/products/playingcard/design/dn_...

This is a pretty pricey project, since it's considerably more than the 54 cards that ACES & EIGHTS was.

It includes:

* 15 new Bounties
* Mister Black, a new Contact with 40 Jobs
* 30 Supply Cards for existing decks
* The Black Market, a new 45-card Supply Deck
* 7 new leaders
* 8 revised leaders and Crew with the "Ruthless" keyword added
* A few House Rules cards, including a Black Market Access Card

This is a 162-card "deck," but there are currently 13 open spots for you to customize to your own preferences. (These will be filled in when the project become final.)

Please note that this is a DRAFT version of the project, and most cards will be marked as such. A final version, complete with rules booklet, will be available later in the year. I'm running this version for playtesting purposes, and to see how the cards look.

(For those looking forward to my future projects, I've used my 13 extra cards to print a few sample cards from SyFy's Friday Knights, so that will probably be up next.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becky Rose
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks really interesting and I look forward to the final draft.

Could I just check, this is your third expansion per se:
Local Color
Aces & Eights
and now Black Market

It is making me curious about what expansions to check out and have printed, but perhaps that is a different thread.

Are the rules card images available anywhere, as they're hard to read on the printer studio preview panel and I am interested in seeing how you have integrated these decks, especially the new contact given there is no location on the board. (Or am I just missing this because I'm new around here).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both the supply deck and the contact are shadow entities. They exist 'everywhere' if you have the right connections. If I'm not mistaken, they're 'located' at every Supply planet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rowley
United Kingdom
Stafford
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarbuck wrote:
Both the supply deck and the contact are shadow entities. They exist 'everywhere' if you have the right connections. If I'm not mistaken, they're 'located' at every Supply planet.

And future ones too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rowley
United Kingdom
Stafford
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one MEGA expansion! You certainly have excelled with this one. Due to postage costs I'll be waiting for the finished version.

I notice a few of things...

The face side of the Jobs comes up with "low resolution" on the Printer Studio page. Is that right?

The Rigged Pulse Beacon has "ignore Alliance Ships's effects" is that a grammatical or spelling mistake?

The Black Market "entry" card is the same both sides. Is that right or should the "rear" be a "YCTtSFM"?

Other than that, I'm looking forward to the real thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
UpStarter wrote:
This is one MEGA expansion! You certainly have excelled with this one. Due to postage costs I'll be waiting for the finished version.

Yeah, this one's gonna cost more than A&E for sure... Fortunately, I don't drink, don't smoke, don't go to too many expensive restaurants, so I don't feel guilty about spending some extra coin on my hobbies.

Heck, this week, I order The Big Damn Crate.

UpStarter wrote:
The face side of the Jobs comes up with "low resolution" on the Printer Studio page. Is that right?

Good question. The last samples had the same tag, but they looked okay. I think it's the size of the print, but I'm not sure. This is why I always do test printings.

UpStarter wrote:

The Rigged Pulse Beacon has "ignore Alliance Ships's effects" is that a grammatical or spelling mistake?

Typo. Boo.

UpStarter wrote:

The Black Market "entry" card is the same both sides. Is that right or should the "rear" be a "YCTtSFM"?

That was intentional. I view this as comparable to the NPC ship event cards. The Corvette one is double-sided.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BeckyRose wrote:
This looks really interesting and I look forward to the final draft.

Could I just check, this is your third expansion per se:
Local Color
Aces & Eights
and now Black Market

It is making me curious about what expansions to check out and have printed, but perhaps that is a different thread.

Those are my printable ones. I have an number of other things I'm working on, but Local Color and A&E are the only "final" ones with printer links.

Oh, wait, I also did a bunch of Disney-themed cards for my daughter and put up the "FantasyLand" deck.

Bill has done a Star Wars-themed deck, Dave some law and order-themed stuff, ReverendKilljoy has a concept similar to The Black Market called The Silk Road, and Scarbuck has a Three Amigos-themed set. I think those are the main expansions available at PrinterStudio and/or Artscow.

Can anyone think of anything I'm forgetting?

I've tried to make everything available, so in addition to the cards, I have a recommended site for printing ship cards, and also official proxy ships for my new ones (so far, all from the game Shadowstar Corsairs, used with permission of the game designer, Ryan Wolfe, who, himself, is a Firefly fan).

BeckyRose wrote:

Are the rules card images available anywhere, as they're hard to read on the printer studio preview panel and I am interested in seeing how you have integrated these decks, especially the new contact given there is no location on the board. (Or am I just missing this because I'm new around here).

THE BLACK MARKET is my most ambitious project to date and will include a number of new rules. These include, but are not limited to:

* The Black Market itself. The Black Market includes a Supply Deck and a new Contact, Mister Black. The Black Market is "everywhere and nowhere." It can be accessed via any Supply Planet (with the idea that these are the locations that have enough infrastructure to mask the presence of the Black Market), but there may be ramifications for looking for it:

* The TONG keyword, representing folks who are part of the organized crime underworld:

* "Wanted" Gear and Ship Upgrades, primarily available at the Black Market:

* Persons of Interest, or "Wanted" Leaders:

* And, of course, Ruthless Crew, sort of my signature, original custom.

Additionally, there will be other rules, such as guidelines for capturing and transporting Reavers, but most of these are related to Jobs.

One major house rule not currently represented by a card is "Bad Blood," which is the opposite of Solid. It will not be possible to make enemies of Contacts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the Ruthless Crew card, I think the first line of "Bored Now..." is supposed to be "When you Complete..."

With regard to Wanted Gear. What about Ship Upgrades or Gear that protect Fugitives or Contraband? Would they be able to hide that super illegal nuclear powered gatling cannon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becky Rose
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
Good question. The last samples had the same tag, but they looked okay. I think it's the size of the print, but I'm not sure. This is why I always do test printings.

I use makeplayingcards.com which I think is the same company (the card designer is the same software - it is an uglier site but doesn't have any of the non-card noise going on) and you get the low resolution tag when you upload an image below their recommended size, which I think is 1100 x 850 or thereabouts for the poker sized cards that Firefly uses.

I like your interpretation of the ruthless crew, I am tempted to use that in the Miranda deck too - unless you would prefer to keep it as your signature ruling?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becky Rose
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qwek wrote:
Bill has done a Star Wars-themed deck, Dave some law and order-themed stuff, ReverendKilljoy has a concept similar to The Black Market called The Silk Road, and Scarbuck has a Three Amigos-themed set. I think those are the main expansions available at PrinterStudio and/or Artscow.

These are quite hard to find as a newbie. I only found Local Color because I saw it in the files section. And Artscow wanted to charge me something daft like $85 for delivery to the UK!

So I made my pdf viewer full screen, zoomed in, did a screenshot of every card and cut it out of the pdf, put a hastily put together and arguably too narrow border around them as the makeplayingcards.com tool showed cutlines over the text, and ordered them from there. Bit of an ordeal, but they just looked so pretty!

I guess to find the others I would search through the forums. Maybe we could collate a forum post with the finished community expansions and sticky it to help newcomers to the wonderful world of homebrew?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BeckyRose wrote:
gwek wrote:

I use makeplayingcards.com which I think is the same company (the card designer is the same software - it is an uglier site but doesn't have any of the non-card noise going on) and you get the low resolution tag when you upload an image below their recommended size, which I think is 1100 x 850 or thereabouts for the poker sized cards that Firefly uses.

I like your interpretation of the ruthless crew, I am tempted to use that in the Miranda deck too - unless you would prefer to keep it as your signature ruling?

Feel free to use Ruthless! My stuff is out there for folks to use! (Keep in mind, though, that this is a draft version that may change during playtesting of THE BLACK MARKET).

Is MakePlayingCards any cheaper than PrintStudio?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BeckyRose wrote:
qwek wrote:

These are quite hard to find as a newbie. I only found Local Color because I saw it in the files section. And Artscow wanted to charge me something daft like $85 for delivery to the UK!

So I made my pdf viewer full screen, zoomed in, did a screenshot of every card and cut it out of the pdf, put a hastily put together and arguably too narrow border around them as the makeplayingcards.com tool showed cutlines over the text, and ordered them from there. Bit of an ordeal, but they just looked so pretty!

I guess to find the others I would search through the forums. Maybe we could collate a forum post with the finished community expansions and sticky it to help newcomers to the wonderful world of homebrew?

There's a LOT out there, both in the forums and in the files (where, by the way, you could have found files for Local Color, too).

Here are a few resources.

1) This thread collects many fan-made ship cards and supplemental material (such as Drive Cores):

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1666143/fan-made-ship-c...

2) This thread has most of the print-able projects:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/24087783#24087783

3) I collect and update my projects every few months. The last update was in late December, so I'm due to update soon:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1686869/whats-gwek-been...

If you're interested in seeing some of my stuff together, I ordered and put together a few complete copies of ACES & EIGHTS and collateral material during the Christmas season. You can find pics here:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1692402/aces-eights-whi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rowley
United Kingdom
Stafford
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BeckyRose wrote:
qwek wrote:

I just checked this out and was quoted $25.98 for either "The silk Road" or "Local Color". If you order both together on the same order it costs $33.98 + $16.98 = $50.96 and there is at the moment -35%!

I am not on commission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a compilation out there in the Variants folder. Can't find it right now. Gwek usually does some compilations of his work like this:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1686869/whats-gwek-been-201...

If you can find the thread in the Variants folder, the links are usually on the last page to where it's listed for printing. I just updated the 2 below to include the final printing location in the first post.

This is the one for The Three Amigos deck. https://boardgamegeek.com/article/20066320#20066320

Full disclosure, it needs some work to bring it up to the current standards and correct a few things I deem errors now. That work is in progress here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1728971/three-amigos-v11

This is the Magnum PI deck: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23789141#23789141

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becky Rose
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well $25 for shipping still doesn't pass my scrouge mcScrougeface test, so I still prefer to use make playing cards. In answer to Gwek on if MPC are cheaper than PrinterStudio, I think they are the same company with the same prices. It's just MPC is just cards and what I found first, it has my order history in - which is getting quite long from all my various game creations!

Thank you for the various links, pay day is looming so I'll check some out.

I've had a bit of an idea about what to do after Miranda, and it's quite a big project. Something I've not done before... but Miranda first, THEN I'll tackle the biggest component in the box (and make it smaller and bigger at the same time).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rowley
United Kingdom
Stafford
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I didn't make it clear, $25.98 was the all-inclusive price. It was $16.99 for the pack and $8.99 for postage.

Quick exchange rate for the total comes out at £20.93 which is not too bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UpStarter wrote:
I think I didn't make it clear, $25.98 was the all-inclusive price. It was $16.99 for the pack and $8.99 for postage.

Quick exchange rate for the total comes out at £20.93 which is not too bad.

+1 on the affordability of artscow and printerstudio here too. If you set up a wishlist and wait for one of the many regular deals, you can get stuff pretty cheaply IMHO. Especially if you get a few decks. For the upcoming community stuff, maybe us UK based gamers should get a bulk order and repost in the UK. Done this for other games and it is even cheaper.

Anyhow. Becky - welcome to the madness and awesomeness of community Firefly cards!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
(For those looking forward to my future projects, I've used my 13 extra cards to print a few sample cards from SyFy's Friday Knights, so that will probably be up next.)

This is equally fantastic news. The day I play with the guys and gals from Killjoys and Dark Matter in the 'Verse is gonna be one swell day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Rather
msg tools
mbmbmb
Excellent stuff (as usual )! I do have a couple of reservations:

gwek wrote:

* The Black Market itself. The Black Market includes a Supply Deck and a new Contact, Mister Black. The Black Market is "everywhere and nowhere." It can be accessed via any Supply Planet (with the idea that these are the locations that have enough infrastructure to mask the presence of the Black Market), but there may be ramifications for looking for it:

I see that there are potential bad side effects (Warrants & killed Crew) but every attempt results in "Proceed". Are you sure you want to make accessing the Black Market automatically successful?

I can't see the Black Market staying in business very long if they aren't VERY particular about whom they let in. If you are negotiating contact and are clumsy enough to cause a Warrant or an Alliance Alert to be issued, I really don't think the underworld is going to want to deal with you. Similarly, if you "look in all the wrong places" and get into a fight which may kill a Black Market guard or lieutenant, are they really going to say "Oh well..." and let you in anyway?

Another issue is the time involved to find a Black Market rep and earning their trust. Remember that this is the game where you can't give your crew shore leave and buy a parasol in the same turn (that's not a complaint; merely an observation).

I agree that accessing the Black Market should be resolved before a Turn Action, since - if successful - it may be followed-up with both Buy and Deal actions with Mr. Black. However, if Black Market access should fail, the player should not be able to turn around and do their normal two Actions since they spent a lot of time trying to gain access. Either their turn should end, or they should lose one of their two Actions.

My 2¢

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In theory, I don't disagree with your suggestions (that The Black Market take time to enter and that there can be circumstances under which you fail to access to The Black Market). In practice, though, both of those things would, I believe, discourage folks from actually using The Black Market.

Full disclosure: Originally, it required an Action to enter The Black Market, and it was very possible to Botch and not be able to enter, but a few of us felt that this would simply discourage people from trying to use The Black Market.

I think playtesting my be required to determine where the best approach lies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So, with quite a few house rules and tweaks involved, I've decided that this one will need a full "manual." Very much a work in progress, at this point, but I figured I put it out there, so folks can start ripping it apart.

If anyone is interested in reviewing/proofing the Word doc, let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in for proofing. (Gets out copyeditor's pencil.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rowley
United Kingdom
Stafford
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spotted a couple of mistakes while just reading it through.

1st page:
New Leaders
... backed my muscle.

Should be "backed by muscle."

6th page:
Ruthless
... or thirst for vengeance make the trip over their own feet.

Should be "make them trip".

Looking good though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firedrake wrote:
Count me in for proofing. (Gets out copyeditor's pencil.)

I'll throw my eyes in as well...

Accessing the Black Market: 3rd paragraph "Once you are Solid with Mr. Black, you may enter the Black Market without penalty." Don't know if that's the best way to put it. That makes it sound like you still roll but don't get punished for rolling badly. Maybe something like "... you may enter the Black Market automatically." or "... you may enter the Black Market without needing to roll a die."

Also, I know it's been brought up before, and again just above, but maybe there should be a chance for failure to access the market. To me, rolling a 1 should always be a failure.

New Contact: Mr. Black: "...client list that includes minor criminals and those more reputable positions." you probably meant "...client list that includes minor criminals and those in more reputable positions."

Trouble You've Not Known: "... on your ship, discard a number equal to your roll." Probably could be idiot proofed a bit more... You're talking about Passenger and Fugitive tokens, right? Does the ones you lose include the Reaver tokens? If you have a Soldier, is the minimum you can lose 0 or is it to a minimum of 1?

Have to look at the last 3 pages later. Very cool. As usual, looking very "official" and all with the formatting and everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback, folks!

Scarbuck, a few thoughts:

1) As noted a little earlier, my concern with making access to The Black Market conditional is that it will discourage people from using it. Of course, you're always welcome to houserule that a 1 is always a failure, but that ain't the core mechanic.

The phrasing for the Reaver stuff is adapted from cards like Space Pox. Not sure if I've accurately translated it over, though.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.