Recommend
9 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Terraforming Mars» Forums » General

Subject: Renaming the game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Radgoski
United States
Gouldsboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb


After picking this up 2 weeks ago, we have played Terraforming Mars 5 times in total. (with the help of a local Convention in Scranton PA called MepaCon) and I have concluded I must rename my personal copy "Colin Terraforms Mars" since my son won all three games he played!

All kidding aside, I've been really pleased with the game play of this game. We played with player counts of 3, 4 & 5. We have played with basic corps, advanced corps. We've played with the basic cards and advanced cards. We've played with Non-Drafting of cards and drafting.

Results

Each of the 5 games were extremely close between most of the players. (a few times we had players fall behind, but the competition for first was within 1 or 2 points.

The game does not increase in time with additional players. Frankly, our longest game was the first one with 3 players, attributed mostly to learning the game, but we had new players in each of the following 4 games as well. Its clear that with more players, you reach the end game conditions quicker - but that is offset by additional players making total game time equal.

Getting your engine going isn't as important as having presence on the map... Cities and lots of forests are so important - all of our winners had great presence on the map.

My son won two times without generating a lot of Mega Credits. In fact, he reported he didn't have production of anything over 2 in those two games. (He focused on cities on the map...)

The additional cards are good - not required, but good.

Two times, a negative victory point card was the difference in winning and losing the game. Hey, it seemed a good idea at the time...

One time, we had to go to the tie breaker to proclaim the winner.

Milestones are super critical, followed by Awards... But we all wish these would change game to game. (We have heard the expansion has a different map with different awards/milestones...too bad they didn't think of that in the original release ala Terra Mystica's bonus tiles)

Overall - we love the game. With the biggest complaint being the player boards should have been indented (ala Scythe [and that can be corrected by third party offerings]) we are very happy and don't have any 'fatigue' from playing the game so often in a two week period....
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkobla Conn wrote:
we are very happy and don't have any 'fatigue' from playing the game so often in a two week period....
After six months and 30 or so plays, the fatigue is starting to wear me down. I'm so worn out on this game that I don't think I could play it more than twice in a day.

(And that's about how much I want to play it... so not much fatigue at all!)
22 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience with play time has been the same as well. I've only played 3-5 player, but each game seems to take about the same amount of time. I could see a two player game maybe going a little longer as the pressure to grab as many TR points wouldn't be as great so the end of the game might be slightly delayed, but that would be more situational than anything...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Champagne
United States
Mobile
AL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally, increasing the number of players won't increase the play time, but it does increase the risk of getting infiltrated by a slow player.

I've found that people who play slow will play this game VERY slow. Particularly if they are new, they will build up a very large hand of cards and then repeatedly examine their ever increasing options.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Neufeld
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JorduSpeaks wrote:
Normally, increasing the number of players won't increase the play time, but it does increase the risk of getting infiltrated by a slow player.

I've found that people who play slow will play this game VERY slow. Particularly if they are new, they will build up a very large hand of cards and then repeatedly examine their ever increasing options.


Doesn't the cost-to-purchase dissuade them from buying too many cards before they go "I need to actually USE some of these" ?

Also, discarding for cash is a Standard Project.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Champagne
United States
Mobile
AL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ProphetOfCod wrote:
JorduSpeaks wrote:
Normally, increasing the number of players won't increase the play time, but it does increase the risk of getting infiltrated by a slow player.

I've found that people who play slow will play this game VERY slow. Particularly if they are new, they will build up a very large hand of cards and then repeatedly examine their ever increasing options.


Doesn't the cost-to-purchase dissuade them from buying too many cards before they go "I need to actually USE some of these" ?

Also, discarding for cash is a Standard Project.


One would think so, but it seems that the default setting for a lot of people is "buy all the cards now, so I have what I need later." Then, when they don't have money to actually play the cards they bought, they have more decisions later as cards just sort of build up in their hands. Then, the option to discard cards for cash leads them to carefully reexamine each and every card they bought every single time they run out of money.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Radgoski
United States
Gouldsboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This hasn't been an issue with us. *most* of our players do a good job of evaluating requirements and cost. The average purchases for first round is about 4 and 2 for each subsequent, but there are those moans of "I gotta buy all 4" that I've heard (and said)...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
champalaune christ
France
echirolles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rich, how old is your son ?

In France, our retailers will sell the game in French , I pre-order it,

I would like to know if you have some advices to share to play with my two boys ( 11 et 13 ) and my wife to have fun et a good play ?

My two boys are easy to play games but is is the first time I will introduce them to deck-building ?

chris from France
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Baumann
United States
Norcross
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really relieved to hear that increasing the player count doesn't lengthen the game. The only person I have played this game with so far is my husband and our game went pretty long. His one comment was he couldn't see playing it with 4 or 5 as it would take forever.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Radgoski
United States
Gouldsboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
champalaune wrote:
Rich, how old is your son ?

In France, our retailers will sell the game in French , I pre-order it,

I would like to know if you have some advices to share to play with my two boys ( 11 et 13 ) and my wife to have fun et a good play ?

My two boys are easy to play games but is is the first time I will introduce them to deck-building ?

chris from France


Chris

My sons are 24 and 21 now and its the 21 year old who won three times. (for the record, the older lad won once and I won once).

I started playing games with the lads a long time ago - games like Hi Ho Cherrio, Labrynth, Elvenland and Amazonas plus other age appropriate games as they grew.

As far as advice - find games that use symbols instead of reading early on and try to figure out what theme your lads like. (My lads hate the vitaculture theme, for example) Do they like Space? Is it Giant Monsters, Do they like armies? Theme is important.

The next bit is type of game. Son 1 likes Engine building and Civ type games. Lad 2 likes Deck Builders and high player interaction. If you are just starting, focus on easy games utilizing some common styles. Avoid ones that have a bunch of things going on at the same time.

Eventually, you'll figure out what the boys like...but don't give up on them or games. I have games the lads didn't like years ago, but now do because they can appreciate the game more now.

Games we played alot of

Settlers of Catan
History of the World
Kingsburg
The Hobbit (by Knizia)
Pirate's Cove
Libertalia
7 Wonders
Tikal
Aladdins Dragons
Elvenland (might be called Elvenroads now)
Condoterri

Best of Luck!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Radgoski
United States
Gouldsboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arbaumann wrote:
I'm really relieved to hear that increasing the player count doesn't lengthen the game. The only person I have played this game with so far is my husband and our game went pretty long. His one comment was he couldn't see playing it with 4 or 5 as it would take forever.


The key is that with more players playing, the goals don't change. So more players are grabbing the points for Terraforming or raising the Temp and thus the game completes faster. It's counter intuitive and doesn't work for most games, but for Terraforming Mars, it does. We've completed 4 and 5 player games in about 2 hours. (just under once and just over once)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.