Subject: New Files for the Reprint rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmb
The new files for the base game reprint are all done. I posted them on CSW so that we could have visibility to them immediately.

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/.1dd4dd60/2112

Everything is basically the same. Some of the technology cost changes implemented in the expansions have been walked back into the base game. There have been some clarifications in the rules.

Feel free to post if you spot any errors, but it is going to the printer soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Love
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jim,

Are the game rules as posted different to the GMT 'September 2011' version?

I wonder if there will be a 'game upgrade kit' available to purchase just the key upgraded components, i.e, the game rules and play book, for those who bought the base game years ago?

Regards,
Greg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
No, 2011 was version 1.1. This is version 1.2. Like I said, it is just a couple of clarifications - and some backed in technology cost changes.

I'm happy to say that the costs of the ships have never changed. The costs we put on each of the ships when the game first went to print - they have survived and been proved by a lot of games since then. The technology, however, has come down a little in cost (the later ones, anyway) compared to what was first released.

With the changes being so minor, I do not expect any kind of upgrade kit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Love
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim Krohn wrote:
No, 2011 was version 1.1. This is version 1.2. Like I said, it is just a couple of clarifications - and some backed in technology cost changes.

I'm happy to say that the costs of the ships have never changed. The costs we put on each of the ships when the game first went to print - they have survived and been proved by a lot of games since then. The technology, however, has come down a little in cost (the later ones, anyway) compared to what was first released.

All good, thanks.
So when will we see this game on Ipad or PC? (hint hint..)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Don't hint to me...bug GMT. I know I do.

Of course, if it came out on ipad or a tablet, all my game design would cease for awhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Love
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point, there should be a 'bug me for ___' button on the GMT website.

No offense intended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lange
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim Krohn wrote:

Perhaps instead of an upgrade kit we could have updated (replacement) parts included with the upcoming expansion upon release?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Ramus
msg tools
designer
Ora et Labora
badge
In Saecula Saeculorum
mbmbmbmbmb
michaelangelo wrote:
Jim Krohn wrote:

Perhaps instead of an upgrade kit we could have updated (replacement) parts included with the upcoming expansion upon release?

What? Replacement? Isn't it easier to just download and print them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Whitney
msg tools
In the production recording page I noticed an error. In the basic technology progression section it says "At Value" in the second column. Also, in the advanced technology progression section it says "At Start Value". Two other things, in version 1.1's production pad it says "At Start" in both columns, and in Close Encounter's production pad it just says "Start" in both columns.

Another thing I noticed is that this new version's production pad has the tech costs in parentheses like in version 1.1, but Close Encounters uses subscripts.

Some additional changes I recommend are to clarify that the raider's retreat before battle ability applies to both when the raider is the attacker or the defender, and that the Class A and +1 damage ability also applies when the raider is the attacker or the defender. The titles of sections 12.1.3 and 12.1.4 kind of imply that those abilities only apply when you are the defender and the attacker respectively, but I've been told that they both work for both attack and defense.

Another change I recommend is for the player reference card. In the notes column of the shipyard row it might be a good idea to add a note that shipyards can't help build units the same economic phase that they are built.

Another thing, as Close Encounters hasn't had any tech cost changes but you reduced the cost of a few of the basic technologies and many of the advanced technologies to both the base game and Close Encounters in this new base game version 1.2 (such as Fighter 2 going down from 30 to 25, and Fighter 3 from 40 to 25, and also Attack 3 from 40 (in the base game) or 30 (in Close Encounters) to 25) do you recommend that players lower the tech cost's when playing Close Encounters to the version 1.2 prices?

One other thing, do you know what type of paper/material the production recording sheets and the player reference cards are made from?

Thank you for all the work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Good catch on the At Value. This was not on my version. I will follow up.

Yes, I do recommend playing CE with the lower tech values. The lowering of the costs on the later techs has come about because I found myself getting into a rut where I was very happy as a player to max out at BC/Attack 2/Defense 2 - even on larger maps.

While going to BB/DN is never going to be the right move on a small map, I wanted to make it more of a possibility on the larger ones.

These lower Tech Costs will be seen in Replicators also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Whitney
msg tools
Another thing I noticed is that you added movement 7 from Close Encounters to 1.2 which does exactly what the previous movement techs do (add more movement) but you didn't add mine sweep 3 which similarly does almost exactly what the previous mine sweep techs do (which is grant more sweeps). This is probably intentional, but I thought I'd point it out just in case.

Something else I thought of is that since you recommend lowering the Close Encounter tech prices to the 1.2 amounts and that would mean lowering ship size 6 from 25 CP to 20 CP have you considered whether the price of ship size 7 (which unlocks Titans) should remain the same (at 30 CP) or be lowered (maybe down to 25 CP)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Yes, I have thought of that, but we decided to keep ship level 7 at 30. The jump to Titan is significant enough that, once you get to 6, you are almost certainly heading to 7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Buelna
msg tools
Will the reprint of Space Empires 4x contain the terrain hex tiles? I already pre-ordered the game but want to know if I should get the Replicators expansion or if I would be doubling up on hex tiles. Thank you in advance wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
No. This reprint is basically the same as the last reprint.

Replicators add 4 major components to the game:

1. 120 large hex tiles for permanent terrain.

2. Resource Deck - cards that can be used as an event or for CP.

3. Replicators - a faction that plays completely differently. It can be used as an opponent in any game or as a fifth player.

4. New ship types and terrain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Knapp
United Kingdom
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds cool, I'm just starting to get into the game and wondered where the full size hex terrain came from... Do you have a sample picture of how they will look?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
It's coming.....

It is all done. We are putting together a series of GMT blog posts...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Cruz
msg tools
badge
The Ultimate Kwisatz Haderach?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just bought both the base game and the Close Encounters expansion. Before I get started, were there any changes to the Close Encounters rulebook, Close Encounters player aid card, and Close Encounters production pad? I'd like to know what do I need to get printed in order to play the 1.2 version of the game + expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
i have not gone back to update all the files in CE yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fernandez
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it true that GMT are going to do an early reprint this Summer 2017 when the game is at 300 ish on the P500 ? or instead will I have to wait 2 years or so until it reaches 500 pre-orders ? I've just placed an order on P500 btw as it's my only hope, I have the expansion but not the original base game !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Upshaw
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dfernand wrote:
Is it true that GMT are going to do an early reprint this Summer 2017 when the game is at 300 ish on the P500 ? or instead will I have to wait 2 years or so until it reaches 500 pre-orders ? I've just placed an order on P500 btw as it's my only hope, I have the expansion but not the original base game !

Speaking as the Developer for Close Encounters and Replicators here. Jim has informed me that the Space Empires 1.2 has been sent to the printers. Current plan for the Replicators Rulebook is to list all of the changes/clarifications that have have been made to the 1.1 version of the Space Empires Rules. Which means at this point that there will be a couple of entries for the 1.2 Version as well, because there were still a couple of things we missed on the last go through and the playtesters came up with some new questions right after we signed off on the 1.2 Version of the Rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fernandez
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks for the prompt reply, I hope my P500 order made yesterday makes it into the print run and I receive it that way. I pre-ordered your Replicators expansion also on the P500. So currently I'm just a guy with only 1 SE expansion at the moment (Close Encounters) but the best things come to those who wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.