5 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Daredevil Noir Hitting Rock Bottom rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Virtually Jason
msg tools
mb
Can you guys help me to understand how to use Daredevil Noir's rare card (Hitting Rock Bottom)? It costs 7 to buy it, and does 3 damage and has you discard a card from the top or bottom of your deck. If the card costs 0, you get +1 damage and do it again (stopping if your deck runs out). I don't think this card is very valuable, so I think I must be missing something.

It seems to me that you won't be buying that card until mid to late game, given that it'll take a while to get into the HQ and even if it shows up early, it's difficult to build up 7 recruit points. By that point, you've certainly got a lot of non-0 cost cards in your deck and you've probably managed to KO a decent number of your starting cards. Those two things taken together mean that you're unlikely to get more than 1 or 2 0-cost cards in a row. So, playing this card basically means that you've got a 3-5 damage card that allows you to move some low value cards off your deck and into discard. What's worse, it will always discard one of your valuable cards, and might end up doing that while only doing 3 damage. It just doesn't seem worth it to me.

Compare that to normal Daredevil's rare "The Man Without Fear" which costs 8 but does 7 damage + lets you draw cards from your deck as long as they're all your guessed number.

Even compare that to Daredevil Noir's 5 point uncommon "Discover the Bodies". It generates 3 recruit points, and if paired with a Covert card, allows you to Investigate for a 0 cost card and KO it.

Either of these cards seem vastly more useful to me, and one of them is cheaper. What am I missing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is intended to be played after a few other Investigate effects. You use those effects to put 0 cost cards on the bottom of your deck, so you know how many are there, then play this card to get an Attack boost from them. It will work best in decks where you haven't KO'd too many starter cards and you have other cards that let you investigate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like dontfeedthegreen said, use investigate effects first, you can stack all those zero costs that you reveal on the bottom. My friend last weekend was generating about 8-9 attack each time with this card. It's a bit counter-intuitive with his uncommon, but ends of working great if you haven't had the chance to KO many cards. Not the best rare in the set, but still pretty good.

Edit: After reading green's post again, I guess I didn't add too much except for anecdotal evidence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhochges wrote:
Like dontfeedthegreen said, use investigate effects first, you can stack all those zero costs that you reveal on the bottom. My friend last weekend was generating about 8-9 attack each time with this card. It's a bit counter-intuitive with his uncommon, but ends of working great if you haven't had the chance to KO many cards. Not the best rare in the set, but still pretty good.

Edit: After reading green's post again, I guess I didn't add too much except for anecdotal evidence.

Which is important. I don't have the set yet and could have been talking hogwash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virtually Jason
msg tools
mb
Thanks for the insight, guys. I hadn't figured out that trick of dropping the 0 point cards onto the bottom of the deck first to basically load up a big run for this card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.