Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Inis» Forums » Rules

Subject: Pretender token question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Coan
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Hi,

Say I meet one win condition (ex. present in 6 territories) and then take a pretender token on next turn. Later in the season other players drive me back to 5 territories and then Season ends with nobody reaching win conditions.

1. Do I keep the pretender token for next season and just try to reach win conditions again?

2. I assume nobody wins even if players have pretender tokens and no win conditions.

Sorry, was a bit confused.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The pretender token is just a way to announce you are about to win, giving the other players a chance to stop you or win themselves. You don't keep it between rounds unless you still meet the condition, and didn't win.

No one can win with a pretender token alone, you still need to meet a win condition.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Coan
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
So are you saying, at the moment my win condition is removed, I put back my pretender token?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Clarke
United Kingdom
Nantwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
scoan wrote:
So are you saying, at the moment my win condition is removed, I put back my pretender token?


No. The rules say, "This token is kept until the Assembly phase, even if at a later point the player no longer meets any victory conditions."

So you keep the token until the next Assembly phase. At this point, you will either:

1. Win the game
2. Still have at least one win condition but not win the game (e.g. if another player also has the same number of win conditions) in which case you will replace the Pretender token back where you took it from, or...
3. No longer have any win conditions, in which case you will replace the Pretender token back where you took it from.

(edited to correct earlier error)
2 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
scoan wrote:
So are you saying, at the moment my win condition is removed, I put back my pretender token?


You keep it until the Assembly phase.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Geery
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules page 7:
Quote:
The player must meet at least one victory condition and cannot already have a Pretender token. He takes a Pretender token from the supply and places it in front of him. This token is kept until the Assembly phase, even if at a later point the player no longer meets any victory conditions.


This would lead me to believe that the pretender tokens from the previous season are returned to the supply in the Assembly phase when victory is not achieved and play continues.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Clarke
United Kingdom
Nantwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Otherish wrote:
...the pretender tokens from the previous season are returned to the supply in the Assembly phase when victory is not achieved and play continues.


Apologies, you are correct, Assembly rules p.6:

"2. Check for Victory
Check to see if a player has won. Victory conditions are explained further on page 10. Players return all Pretender tokens to the supply, if they had some."

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Coan
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Thanks so much. That makes sense.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Starr
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm thinking about buying this game but this is the piece that I'm not sure about.

The way I'm reading it is when you take the pretender token, you're skipping your next turn. So it makes sense as a catchup mechanic, but that's pretty brutal for anyone in the lead.

Doesn't this mean that the first person to take a pretender token will generally lose? That seems frustrating and is a big reason why I get annoyed with games like Catan or Munchkin (or Mario Kart meeple) where if you're in first you're actually losing.

How has it played out for you all? Is it actually balanced? If not, are there any variants to let the player with the pretender token return it at some price (like discarding 3 green cards or something)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Clarke
United Kingdom
Nantwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshuaStarr wrote:
So I'm thinking about buying this game but this is the piece that I'm not sure about.

The way I'm reading it is when you take the pretender token, you're skipping your next turn. So it makes sense as a catchup mechanic, but that's pretty brutal for anyone in the lead.

Doesn't this mean that the first person to take a pretender token will generally lose? That seems frustrating and is a big reason why I get annoyed with games like Catan or Munchkin (or Mario Kart meeple) where if you're in first you're actually losing.

How has it played out for you all? Is it actually balanced? If not, are there any variants to let the player with the pretender token return it at some price (like discarding 3 green cards or something)


Hi Joshua No, it doesn't work like that. You are taking the token instead of playing a card at that specific moment, but you can continue to play cards after taking the token or, better still, wait until you have played all of your cards before taking the token as your last (in effect, an extra) action. It's not a catchup mechanic, but it does announce to the other players that you are in a winning position. However, if they have been paying attention they should know that already.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Starr
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh! Okay, I thought it meant you are skipping playing all cards for that round. That sounds much more interesting then. Will continue planning to purchase then
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Clarke
United Kingdom
Nantwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshuaStarr wrote:
Oh! Okay, I thought it meant you are skipping playing all cards for that round. That sounds much more interesting then. Will continue planning to purchase then


Yes indeed, I don't think you'll regret it
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.