Popular Tags: [View All]
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most movies and stories have a structure to them, a beginning, a middle, and an end. There is usually a hook and a climax at some point. It is rare that a movie or story is all high energy all the time. Most of them build up over time.

What game can you recommend that definitely has a sense of building up to a climax and offers a memorable experience? I'm looking for a game that consistently delivers such an experience rather than one that might do so when the stars align just right.

Examples of games that deliver such an experience:

Mage Knight Board Game - You explore the world battling it out over several days and top it off by conquering cities.

Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game - The decks are structured in such a way that the tension builds up over the 3 acts.

Chaos in the Old World - When played with a group that knows what they are doing, each game is amazingly balanced and close till the end. Perfect game for 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Atlantis Rising is my favorite game largely for this very reason. Rarely have I played it where people weren't super-tense (sometimes standing and cheering) at the end of a game. The relief of winning or the sorrow from losing is palpable every time.

You can't help but feel the tension ramping up as the island disappears in front of you, and the ability to gather needed resources seemingly dwindles away. Piece-by-piece the board shrinks, desperation sets in, and your best-laid plans crumble.

Sadly it's OoP, but if you can find a reasonably-priced copy, I highly recommend you snatch it up.

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Twilight Imperium, the times that I've played it there was an in-game rush at the end. Especially when playing with 6-8 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost every game of Axis and Allies I have ever played built up to one or two large battles between huge armies. This is especially true in the "Pacific" theater ones where navies would converge around Japan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ruby
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Viticulture Essential Edition definitely starts slow, and grows in intensity as the game continues, with the last round seeing everyone trying to squeeze out every possible point to finish ahead of the pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DUDES ON A MAP
Kemet
Wallenstein (second edition) / Shogun

EUROS
Brass
Puerto Rico
Agricola
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nestor Ivanor
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic Legacy: Season 1

It's like movie. Just simply amazing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Most deckbuilding game as you grow in power during the game, but mostly

Aeon's End
You start small, and so does your foe. Along the game you build an economy, open breaches through which you channel your spells, and build your inner power through charges. From slinging one 1-damage spell per turn at most you build into a powerful character able to deal 20 damage or more per turn (Kadir, Jian)
Your opponent grows at the same time, hitting harder, calling stronger minions.
Most of the time, the endgame is extremely tense and both you and the city you defend are on your knees or dead by the end of the game!

A truly satisfying experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.