Jon Houghton
Australia
flag msg tools
If you read the newsletter, there are two examples of what some of the airship abilities could be. The passive example is Ferry, where as long as the airship is over a lake, units can move onto and through this territory. However, this is essentially useless to factions who already have a lake crossing ability, so I feel like this disadvantages them by giving them a useless ability. Thought on this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Dawson
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhoughto123 wrote:
If you read the newsletter, there are two examples of what some of the airship abilities could be. The passive example is Ferry, where as long as the airship is over a lake, units can move onto and through this territory. However, this is essentially useless to factions who already have a lake crossing ability, so I feel like this disadvantages them by giving them a useless ability. Thought on this?

Those factions nevertheless need to build a specific mech to gain a similar ability. You are right (maybe?) that this gives a slight boost to others BUT:
1) we do not know how you build your airship
2) how much expensive they are
I guess there are passive abilities that recall all factions's abilities in some way
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kinne
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhoughto123 wrote:

The way I read the newsletter, the active and passive abilities were catered to the faction. So I doubt a faction with a lake ability will have the Ferry airship ability.

I thought the airships' abilities are like mech abilities - which are different for the factions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Dawson
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oliverkinne wrote:
jhoughto123 wrote:

The way I read the newsletter, the active and passive abilities were catered to the faction. So I doubt a faction with a lake ability will have the Ferry airship ability.

I thought the airships' abilities are like mech abilities - which are different for the factions.

No. The OP is right.
In the newsletter clearly states that passive+active airship abilities are the same for all factions once revealed at the start of a game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mighty Jack
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blackholexan wrote:
[q="jhoughto123"]
I guess there are passive abilities that recall all factions's abilities in some way

1. The newsletter states, "Each player starts with their airship on their home base, so they can start moving out of their home area right away."

Also, they way I read it, there is a deck of passive and aggressive cards and, "2 airship tiles are randomly paired at the beginning of the game. Each player's airship miniature has those abilities."

What I don't know is does each player use the same 2 general cards, or does each player get 2 different cards from everyone else. I think I prefer the later.

Also, "...as well as the core ability that airships are free to move onto any territory (land or water) and across rivers." Does this mean that you can move your ship regardless of your movement points of the land units, or are they just unrestricted by terrain but use a movement point from the pool?

Interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Houghton
Australia
flag msg tools
blackholexan wrote:
jhoughto123 wrote:

Those factions nevertheless need to build a specific mech to gain a similar ability. You are right (maybe?) that this gives a slight boost to others BUT:

It says each factions starts with their airship on their home base, so it's in play right from the start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Peterson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
This is better than just being able to move your mechs/character onto a lake in my mind because now workers can move onto and off of the lake without the assistance of a mech. So while similar it is different and potentially more versatile for all factions. Also not having to build a mech to unlock lakes opens up more options for different mech deployment as mentioned earlier! Right now my only question is what they'll be able to carry...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Huss
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MightyJack wrote:
blackholexan wrote:
[q="jhoughto123"]

1. The newsletter states, "Each player starts with their airship on their home base, so they can start moving out of their home area right away."

Also, they way I read it, there is a deck of passive and aggressive cards and, "2 airship tiles are randomly paired at the beginning of the game. Each player's airship miniature has those abilities."

What I don't know is does each player use the same 2 general cards, or does each player get 2 different cards from everyone else. I think I prefer the later.

Also, "...as well as the core ability that airships are free to move onto any territory (land or water) and across rivers." Does this mean that you can move your ship regardless of your movement points of the land units, or are they just unrestricted by terrain but use a movement point from the pool?

Interesting.

It's definitely 2 cards shared by everybody. With each person getting their own it could get crazy in terms of balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Neumann
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
'Thematic?'
badge
"Ugh", Hail sighs. "Dispatch these simpletons quickly. I am already bored with them."
mbmbmbmbmb
And it would be too complicated to know which player has which special ability...
7 factions * 5 (4mechs+1faction) abilities are already too complex for some players. But individual airships would/could be too complex for everybody.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamey said he conducted more than 700 playtests, I don't think you have any balance issues to worry about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve w
United States
milwaukee
wi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wind gambit playtester $0.02:

The Ferry card is only one of 6? 8? (who knows what will make it into the final release) of Passive abilities. There are that number again of Aggressive abilities and you randomly pull one Passive and one Aggressive at the start of play, and all players airships have both of the abilities. The airship is in play on your home location from the start of the game. There are some abilities that may be more or less useful to certain factions, but in the games that we played (especially wave 3) we never felt that any of the abilities were too overpowered or handicapped. I am very much looking forward to the release of this as the airship adds another layer of strategy and permutations for replay.

Again, this is just my input from three waves of playtesting and what makes it into the final box could be pared down from what I saw, or expanded, etc. Nothing I say should be taken as gospel to what the retail box will hold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Vitroler
Austria
Tirol
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Chester Steve wrote:
wind gambit playtester $0.02:

The Ferry card is only one of 6? 8? (who knows what will make it into the final release) of Passive abilities. There are that number again of Aggressive abilities and you randomly pull one Passive and one Aggressive at the start of play, and all players airships have both of the abilities. The airship is in play on your home location from the start of the game. There are some abilities that may be more or less useful to certain factions, but in the games that we played (especially wave 3) we never felt that any of the abilities were too overpowered or handicapped. I am very much looking forward to the release of this as the airship adds another layer of strategy and permutations for replay.

Again, this is just my input from three waves of playtesting and what makes it into the final box could be pared down from what I saw, or expanded, etc. Nothing I say should be taken as gospel to what the retail box will hold.

So did the lake factions never get the passive lake airship ability?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All factions get both the passive and the aggressive ability for their airship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihir Shah
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
All factions get both the passive and the aggressive ability for their airship.

What action makes the airships move, is it yet the move action or something new?

Also is there any cost associated with the airship movement or using one of its 2 abilities?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's still the Move action. Some specific abilities have costs or triggers to use, but by default there's no cost to use an airship ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihir Shah
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
It's still the Move action. Some specific abilities have costs or triggers to use, but by default there's no cost to use an airship ability.

Ok perfect.
How about combat, what are the rules towards airship combat?
I am assuming that characters would not be able to get into a combat with an airship, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Eberly
United States
Denver
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
jalwaaa wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:

Ok perfect.
How about combat, what are the rules towards airship combat?
I am assuming that characters would not be able to get into a combat with an airship, right?

Airships are not considered combat units, and do not battle. I think some of their abilities do alter the outcome of a combat on the same hex though. So unless an ability refers to combat, they are just bystanders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rodney is correct. It'll make sense next month when we release the typeset rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihir Shah
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Rodney is correct. It'll make sense next month when we release the typeset rulebook.

That is gr8, rulebook will surely get some clarity but for my gaming group and me, this info has helped a lot. For us, the airships would not make it to the scythe board too often as we love the base game just too much and would not want additional mechanics.

This may change but for now this gives the other guys in my group who paid a premium for the game to spend more right away and get the MR insert as based on this info they would not be putting airships in the box and resolution tiles can hopefully fit in with the other cards/tiles in the insert, that is unless you have made the resolution tiles a different size altogether?

If the resolution tiles are of another size then we will have to painfully wait till the MR and BT redesign their insert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The airship ability tiles and the resolution tiles are all slightly smaller than the big cards in Scythe (smaller by about 2mm).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihir Shah
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
The airship ability tiles and the resolution tiles are all slightly smaller than the big cards in Scythe (smaller by about 2mm).

Thank you, that really helps in insert selection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Chalmers
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Is it game breaking to only play with the Passive abilities and not the aggressive - I like to play Scythe non-aggressively as much as possible, I was even hoping there was a resolution card that prevented combat all together, haha, I am such a pacifist!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.