Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
there is this line in the rules:
The players keep their chips in plain view on the table near them so the others know their color and how many chips they have remaining.

So can you run out of chips? We played a 3-player game last night where I was running pretty low on chips the last few rounds. The wine I sold gave me chips to select regions with and then I used those again to buy vineyards.

Based on that line it looks like you can. Were we not suppose to play all regions with 3 players? It seems that we can take out the last region and not change the balance too much since it has all the types.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Can you run out of vineyard chips?
taraba (#26983),

I propose anyone that can do so good as to run out of chips shall instantly be declared the winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
taraba (#26983),

All regions are playable with 3 players. If you ever manage to run out of chips use the chips of a spare color.

In a 5 (and probably 4) player game its not possible to run out of chips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there are 103 locations on the board and each player has 40 chips. If you use one for each reagion, one for the windrose and two for selecting your region, then there are 28-31 chips left for each player. With three players, you can't cover the board with what's remaining. This is the situation we saw. Two players were running out of chips. I lost vineyards to recover chips from the variety locations and at the final round the other player took chips off of his variety locations to mark vineyards.

My main problem is that one line in the rules. But I can't find anything that says if you should use a different color or run out of chips. Why do players need to see how many I have remaining if I have an unlimited amount?

I think the boards too big for 3 players anyways, so I'll probably play without the last region in the next 3 player game. I think that'll solve both these problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[i]taraba wrote:
Why do players need to see how many I have remaining if I have an unlimited amount?[i]

It doesn't matter if your chips are hidden or not since the other players can always count the chips you have on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Osvalds
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
taraba (#26983),
I am inclined to beleive that you CANNOT be limited on vineyard chips. Otherwise, you would stop playing when they all go into play and just hold for a victory. Chips are also used to represent which variety of grape in each region you produce. (as shown in pic on back of box, You place a chip in one of the boxes by each region on the board over the white circle). Would it mean that out of two "maxed-out" players, victory goes to the one in fewer regions? (that doesn't make sense).

For the sake of preserving what I feel to be an EXCELLENT game, I would say ignore that particular line in the rulebook...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.