Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

Century: Spice Road» Forums » General

Subject: So... no more Crystal Golems? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

I was very interested in Crystal Golems, in large part because of the fantasy theme. My kids initially enjoyed Splendor, but after a few plays, the "theme" turned them away, so it sits on the shelf -- it's now just "that rock game."

After seeing Crystal Golems and noting mechanical similarities to Splendor, but possibly better, this was easily an auto-buy for me. Yes, I understand the mechanics for Spice Road are the same, but, for instance, my kids ask to play DC Deck Builder, more because of the theme than mechanics -- "Dad, I LOVE this picture!" or "Doomsday is gonna smash this guy! *insert sound effect as card is slapped down*"

That said, I'm not going to try to convince them to move from rocks to spices -- talk about a sad downgrade, with a euro game market already flooded with spice trade. (Though on the flipside, there are lots of fantasy games too, so maybe they thought spices would make the game look more... prestigious? *shrug*)

If they're trying to distinguish this game from Splendor, sticking with the fantasy theme does that far better than spices, so it feels like an odd choice. Or maybe they are purposefully trying to rival Splendor? Anyway, for me, this went from insta-buy to no-buy, but very possibly I'm in the minority.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Tom Casual of Orange Nebula
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I 1000% percent agree.

However I think polls and general community comments do confirm that we are indeed in the minority. Not ALONE but def in the minority
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Remember also that this is first game of a trilogy of games that will someone all be tied together, and presumably be able to be combined together ...

so that there's that too. Perhaps this theme fits better into whatever they have planned in that regard.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Octavius
Canada
Chilliwack
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they scrapped releasing 2 versions of the game because it's a waste of resources. No one is going to buy both copies, so they are just competing with themselves for no good reason.

Spice trading won out as it is a more popular theme globally. Europe is a much bigger market than North America, and they tend to prefer more realistic themes to fantasy.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander K
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I wasn't necessarily going to buy the Crystal Golem version, but I was really excited about the idea of people getting to pick a theme that fit them.

As I read your post, I really came to the conclusion that I strongly agree with you on the Crystal Golem, and I think it's a shame it won't be available as there are already comparisons to Splendor, and this may not help in differentiating between the two games.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Bieri
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen in recent interviews and such that as all the Golem version art still exists they are not counting the idea of releasing that version later out. It may depend on sales or such. However if I buy Spice Road now I'll be bummed if Golem version (which I prefer too) comes out later making me regret being in on this game earlier.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering that slightly different themes are coming later, I don't really see much reason to buy now. Wait to see how the future releases differ, since it sounds like they're not all the same thing just re-themed. Especially if they might release a non-generic theme, just doesn't seem like it matters if you buy it now?

The Caravan release was weird enough, but Century seems even weirder, I really don't understand the logic. Maybe it'll be more clear when the other releases come out?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I got to play the proto at Origins last year and really liked it. I'll be buying it regardless of theme. It's a good design.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Huynh
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Montag451 wrote:
Considering that slightly different themes are coming later, I don't really see much reason to buy now. Wait to see how the future releases differ, since it sounds like they're not all the same thing just re-themed. Especially if they might release a non-generic theme, just doesn't seem like it matters if you buy it now?

The Caravan release was weird enough, but Century seems even weirder, I really don't understand the logic. Maybe it'll be more clear when the other releases come out?


The other releases in the Century line will be different, not just re-themes, there will be different mechanisms and there will be a way to crossover between games. They are not just re-themed.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
katanan wrote:
Montag451 wrote:
Considering that slightly different themes are coming later, I don't really see much reason to buy now. Wait to see how the future releases differ, since it sounds like they're not all the same thing just re-themed. Especially if they might release a non-generic theme, just doesn't seem like it matters if you buy it now?

The Caravan release was weird enough, but Century seems even weirder, I really don't understand the logic. Maybe it'll be more clear when the other releases come out?


The other releases in the Century line will be different, not just re-themes, there will be different mechanisms and there will be a way to crossover between games. They are not just re-themed.


Huh. That seems particularly odd. So even if I were considering "Spice Road", why would I get it, knowing upcoming ones are adding more? I'm not understanding this model, but oh well. Though maybe it'll benefit me if they later release a Crystal Golems, as it'll have tweaks/fixes from what is basically version 1.0, and it might include extra mechanics from these other games. Interesting. Although by then, possibly other games will have stepped into this area to appease my family, at which point I'll no longer care. *shrug*
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
JYoder wrote:
katanan wrote:
Montag451 wrote:
Considering that slightly different themes are coming later, I don't really see much reason to buy now. Wait to see how the future releases differ, since it sounds like they're not all the same thing just re-themed. Especially if they might release a non-generic theme, just doesn't seem like it matters if you buy it now?

The Caravan release was weird enough, but Century seems even weirder, I really don't understand the logic. Maybe it'll be more clear when the other releases come out?


The other releases in the Century line will be different, not just re-themes, there will be different mechanisms and there will be a way to crossover between games. They are not just re-themed.


Huh. That seems particularly odd. So even if I were considering "Spice Road", why would I get it, knowing upcoming ones are adding more? I'm not understanding this model, but oh well. Though maybe it'll benefit me if they later release a Crystal Golems, as it'll have tweaks/fixes from what is basically version 1.0, and it might include extra mechanics from these other games. Interesting. Although by then, possibly other games will have stepped into this area to appease my family, at which point I'll no longer care. *shrug*


There are releasing 3 separate and complete games, all covering different eras and all involving trading. Apparently, these games will also be able to be combined in some way that has yet to be revealed.

So, if you might want the ability to combine the games, you'd need all of them to do that. If that doesn't interest you, and Spice Road doesn't either, then you might want to wait till the next one to decide ...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Osterloh
United States
Concord
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to read through them, see this thread and the comments on this blog post for discussion of cancelling the Golem version, including responses from the designer and publisher.

I am also in the camp that I was looking forward to the golem version more. I would love to see this game do well enough that they realease it (as they have hinted), but I don't want to buy the same game twice to see that happen. Maybe I buy Century, then give it to a friend if they release the golem version...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aljoša Vizovišek
Slovenia
Žalec
Savinjska
flag msg tools
mbmb
Maybe they'll use the golem theme in some other game in the Century line. One can hope, right?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emerson @NazcaGames
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not allowed to say anything...

cool
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel C
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nazcagames wrote:
I'm not allowed to say anything...

cool


Yay, there's hope.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emerson @NazcaGames
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ZeWildStar wrote:
nazcagames wrote:
I'm not allowed to say anything...

cool


Yay, there's hope.


I said nothing.... whistle
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Bieri
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nazcagames wrote:
I'm not allowed to say anything...

cool


Do you know who Snoke is too? How about Rey's parents?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Goncalves
Portugal
Lisboa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
They just anounced it in their Facebook page!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Bieri
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mrranch wrote:
I've seen in recent interviews and such that as all the Golem version art still exists they are not counting the idea of releasing that version later out. It may depend on sales or such. However if I buy Spice Road now I'll be bummed if Golem version (which I prefer too) comes out later making me regret being in on this game earlier.


I am now quoting myself...

I am bummed as past-me had predicted I would be
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
flag msg tools
mb
GusG4Real wrote:
They just anounced it in their Facebook page!

Also:
We Heard You! Century: Golem edition releasing at GenCon 2017
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GusG4Real wrote:
They just anounced it in their Facebook page!



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.