Subject: 1 Scythe upgrade rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Douglas Klipfel
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you could have only 1 of the upgrades from the base game of Scythe what would it be? for example: bigger board, components (oil/food/etc), or expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansion. Always gameplay first for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Sombrero
msg tools
mb
Definitely bigger board - with all tue resources on the map the hexes tend to get really crowded and sometimes the situation might be confusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Klipfel
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered the upgraded components, looks like I made the wrong choice..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve w
United States
milwaukee
wi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
invaders from afar. you want those extra player mats and factions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Upgrade resources. I've seen the wooden ones and I'm SO happy I Kickstarted the Collector's Edition!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a KS backers and I only have the expansion.

The regular board barely fits on my table as is. Expanded board would be a waste, even though I have seen the big board and it is glorious.

Resources? Sure they are nice, but the wooden ones are perfectly fine for me.

Metal Coins (separate from resources, IMO) are just like the resources, nice, but the cardboard in the box is pretty swell.

Getting more content for a game is always my preference when it comes to spending $ on something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Bush
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
01101111 01101110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01100001 01101110 01100100 00100000 01111010 01100101 01110010 01101111 01100101 01110011
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'm one of the few who actually like the standard resources better than the upgrades. The colors just really pop on the board (especially the food). So neat and clean-looking.

For me, it would be the bigger board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
Canada
Whitby
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don Sombrero wrote:
Definitely bigger board - with all tue resources on the map the hexes tend to get really crowded and sometimes the situation might be confusing.

This only applies if you have a table big enough for the larger board. My (quite large) dining room table doesn't have enough room for both the game board and the player boards to be used comfortably.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Windship2Mars wrote:
I ordered the upgraded components, looks like I made the wrong choice..

Nonsense. There's no such thing, unless you personally aren't happy with your decision. Some people want additional gameplay, but other people are perfectly happy with the game as is, but like the look and feel of better components. What you do is up to you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the upgraded components are amazing personally...it's a solid choice:-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lopez DeVinaspre
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really consider expansions "upgrades." If you are throwing them in there, then I agree with Tristan: expansion first. Maybe not "always" for me (some games' expansions aren't that great), but definitely for Scythe. I love Invaders, and The Wind Gambit looks like a perfect expansion.

As for components, I Kickstarted the base edition and regretted it after falling in love with the game. That said, I have little interest in the board extension, only because I don't have good table space for it. I got the metal coins already, because they were a good price on Miniature Market, and I threw them in with another shipment, so I didn't have to pay more for shipping. At $30 (MSRP), I'd probably prefer the resources to the coins, but I've never used the resources, so I can't say for sure. I am happy with the coins, and still want the resources, but $30 is really my ceiling for that purchase, and shipping costs always drive that up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If expansions are considered upgrades then definitely get Invaders - and then go out and grab the board extension because you're going to run out of room quickly. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Stewart
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fevered ego wrote:
I think I'm one of the few who actually like the standard resources better than the upgrades. The colors just really pop on the board (especially the food). So neat and clean-looking.

For me, it would be the bigger board.

This is my position as well. The realistic-looking resources are visually indistinct and don't fit as thematically, absent fully-painted minis.

I would definitely take the metal coins as an add-in, followed shortly by Invaders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Anderson
United States
Springville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although the resources are amazing, and the bigger board is convenient... the expansion allows six of my gamer buddies and I to play which is everything.

As soon as I get some spending cash I'm going to get me those resources and board though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
badge
There Can Be Only One! The Wrong One!
mbmbmbmbmb
You will probably end up buying everything ..... or is that just me? gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Goertz
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
NA NA NA NA . . .
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had to choose 1 upgrade it would be painted minis.

I don't consider myself versed enough to do a proper paint job on the mechs and characters so this would be a great "pie-in-the-sky" upgrade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Wrong One wrote:
You will probably end up buying everything ..... or is that just me? gulp

Nope! I'm unqualified to answer the question. I did not decide: I got everything! Including the book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Van Verth
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A similar thread: What extras should I get?.

I ended up only getting the expansion for now. I'll probably pick up the extra player dials at some point, just to have a matched set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus T.
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It depends.

Is your table big enough? Otherwise skip the extension board.

Do you always play max 5 players? Then skip the Invaders expansion, unless you have already played through the 5 base factions enough to want 2 new factions with different abilities.

I enjoy the realistic ressources and the sound and weight of the metal coins, but to me, these two upgrades would be the one to skip if I had to. Luckily, I didn't have to

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the extras are nice-to-haves. The great beauty of Scythe is that it doesn't NEED any of them. Buy whatever you fancy. You're unlikely to be disappointed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Klipfel
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seghillian wrote:
All of the extras are nice-to-haves. The great beauty of Scythe is that it doesn't NEED any of them. Buy whatever you fancy. You're unlikely to be disappointed.

I hope that you are right. The upgraded resource tokens should arrive in the mail today. If they look great I will no doubt enjoy them.

I have not ordered the game board, only because the table we currently play on would not be able to handle it. I kick started the Duchess game table, I believe it is 3ft by 5ft. Does anyone know if that would be big enough to comfortably play with the board extension?

I forgot about the coins, no doubt I would love them. I currently have the metal coins from SeaFall. I have found several games that they transition into nicely. Any reason those would not work for Scythe?

The expansion is the big question for me. Will I miss having the 2 other factions? Do they fit in the main box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Windship2Mars wrote:
I have not ordered the game board, only because the table we currently play on would not be able to handle it. I kick started the Duchess game table, I believe it is 3ft by 5ft. Does anyone know if that would be big enough to comfortably play with the board extension?

I'm waiting for both my Duchess table and the board extension. It'll be a little while until I have both, but I can try to remember to let you know how it works. I know it'll fit, but I wouldn't be surprised if we end up putting the player mats on the rails/outside part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Senior
msg tools
I bought retail as i didn't see the Kickstarter. The order i upgraded is:
1. Base game, board extension, coins - haven't used the extension yet as I don't have room at home but will use it at my local club. Didn't bother punching out the card coins, used metal from the start.
2. Card packs 1-4. Considered these the first essential upgrade: more play options
3. Extra dials. It just didn't feel right playing with another faction's dial, like using stolen tech.
4. Second Automa deck. I love the Automa and am a masochist.
5. Seven player expansion. I'm actually waiting to buy this from my local store. Keeps them in business.
6. Coins and dials for 6&7th factions.
7. I'm not fussed about the resources as I don't think they look that good but have only seen pictures. They are also insanely expensive on secondary market.
8. Anything else that is ever produced for the game because I must have it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Klipfel
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Metropolis Games wrote:
I bought retail as i didn't see the Kickstarter. The order i upgraded is:
1. Base game, board extension, coins - haven't used the extension yet as I don't have room at home but will use it at my local club. Didn't bother punching out the card coins, used metal from the start.
2. Card packs 1-4. Considered these the first essential upgrade: more play options
3. Extra dials. It just didn't feel right playing with another faction's dial, like using stolen tech.
4. Second Automa deck. I love the Automa and am a masochist.
5. Seven player expansion. I'm actually waiting to buy this from my local store. Keeps them in business.
6. Coins and dials for 6&7th factions.
7. I'm not fussed about the resources as I don't think they look that good but have only seen pictures. They are also insanely expensive on secondary market.
8. Anything else that is ever produced for the game because I must have it!

Well I started with the resources. I haven't played a game with them, so I'll have to see if it enhances the game play theme for me. How nice are the metal coins? I recently received Rum & Bones Second Tide and hands down the metal coins were the coolest component of the game for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.