Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Race summaries rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Howard
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Hello everyone, I'm getting ready to host my first game of TI this Saturday (no, it's not that kind of thread; I've read all the advice!), and it'll be the first game for all of us. I've got a good group of gamer folks coming who are excited about the game, but they're not the type to research rules or stats ahead of time.

I'm already going to be doing the pre-built galaxy and some other time-saving tips, but I am planning to let everyone pick their race that day at the start of the game, and I was hoping some of the veterans might be able to do a quick list of one-line summaries for each race. Something to quickly give a new player a sense of this race's overall character and emphasis, like:

Hacan - Big on trading and negotiation (this is me guessing from what I've seen on their race sheet).

We're just doing base game for now, so could anyone provide some capsule summaries of each race for me? I looked all through the forum and files and didn't see anything exactly like that; apologies if I overlooked it elsewhere.

Thanks, everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Sol - Good at producing GFs and spreading out
Naalu - Psychic snakes that always get to go first and can avoid battle when needed
Yssaril - Sneaky spy race, action card kings, and can skip actions to delay their moves.
L1z1x - Powerful juggernaut race, strong military.
Letnev - Strong production, with abilities that aren't always easy to use.
N'orr - Strong at military, with low early-game ability to spread out.
Xxcha - Diplomats, weak at spreading out in the early game.
Mentak - Pirates, good at ambushes against small fleets.
Jol-Nar - Scholars, excellent at getting tech, and while they are weaker militarily, their techs often make up for it.

And of course, Hacan, good traders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
m Vlad
Romania
flag msg tools
mb
I would love to hear your short summary about the expansion races as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As you wish

Shattered Empire:
- Winnu: Good well-rounded abilities, able to spread thinner due to protection against Local Unrest, and can get technologies a bit easier.
- Muaat: Another juggernaut-style race, they need to be careful early to protect their war sun, because if it goes boom before they have established, they will have a hard time catching up.
- Yin: Great at invasions, especially against smaller forces. Good at eeking out a few more resources (or influence) as needed for key situations.
- Saar: Nomadic race, don't need to worry about their home system, but you gotta keep their docks safe.

Shards of the Throne:
- Nekro Virus: Very attack-oriented, can get lots of techs that way. A wildcard in the political arena with their ability to mess things up. Warmongers.
- Ghosts: Can be difficult for new players, can really control wormhole movement, especially if the Nexus is in play. With the flagship, gotta worry about them amassing a fleet at home.
- Arborec: Another one that may be tough for new players, can produce a lot of units if left unchecked, but if their GFs are limited then they can be controlled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
And of course, Hacan, good traders

And/or economic bullies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
m Vlad
Romania
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
Heya Chad,

Just some advice but I think it is a big mistake to get a group of complete noobies to sit down and try to play TI3 with no rules prep ahead of time. While it might work it can also go horribly wrong.

If your friends are not the type to read rules, send them a video or 2 about the game to watch, it will go a long way to smooth out the bumps in your first game. I recommend either

Tom Vasel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTcxQS-S82k

Or the 32 minute rules video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muB1zGDGVzk

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FRM Vicious
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Personally I believe every description of the Yssaril should contain the term "Space Gollums"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Howard
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thanks for the help, everyone. First game was great! Took about 6 hours for 4 players, using just base game with the distant suns variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rollyn wrote:
Thanks for the help, everyone. First game was great! Took about 6 hours for 4 players, using just base game with the distant suns variant.

Not a bad play time for a first game (or, really, even for a NON-first game!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Clark
United States
High Point
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rollyn wrote:

I played in a 4 player game 2 Saturdays back and won by dumb luck. They all thought the Mentak were no threat and they were right! My best planet outside my HS had 3 resources and the rest were all 1 pointers. I had the L1Z1X on my right and the Sardakk N'orr on my left. They spent all their time fighting the Universitis across from me. There was one battle with 4 Warsuns, several DN, and I don't know how many fighters. They destroyed each other! The L1Z1X walked in and claimed Mecatol Rex afterwards, but didn't get any VP.

Everyone had played before, we only used the base game, and sometimes we were over cautious, but it took 8 turns and lasted 9 hours. We drew the Game Over card at the start of turn 9. Also, I was not fond of playing with 2 Strategy cards each.

Which races were you playing and which race won? TI3 players want to know!!
Cudos on finishing in 6 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Howard
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
I drew two races for each player at random, and let the player choose a race after using the summaries from this thread. We ended up with Yssaril (me), Hacan, Jol-Nar, and Mentak. We used the preset FFG 4-player map.

We were all feeling out the game since it was our first time. Early on the Political card was played that makes all the technology bonus icons on the planets count for any color no matter what the color of the one on that planet happened to be. Combined with the fact that we had every strategy card drawn every round (with 4 players), this made it a high technology game. Pretty much everyone bought a tech every round.

The domain counters were a lot of fun; I'm really glad we used them. I drew hostile locals almost every time, and everyone else got peaceful annexations.

The score stayed pretty close together most of the game and progressed steadily. Almost everyone was able to score an objective each round (especially the tech ones), but only one person scored their secret objective (the only one that wasn't Mecatol Rex-based, we learned later).

Mecatol Rex wasn't controlled until about round 4 by Jol Nar, and the biggest combat of the game came from the Mentak fleet coming to take it over shortly afterwards with War Suns and Dreadnoughts on both sides.

Finally, in Round 7 there were 3 of us at 9 points and one at 7. Ultimately the Jol Nar player won the final point due entirely to play order; all three of us at 9 would have scored the 10th point that round. The Hacan player at 7 points snagged Initiative and the Jol Nar player was seated to his left and grabbed Diplomacy. We all pretty much understood during the round that it was the last one and that he was going to score in the Status phase.

Everyone really enjoyed themselves and were delighted at the possibilities in the game (one guy is a big Eclipse player and yet he still saw the positive distinctions between the two). I think it'll hit the table again with this group sometime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.