Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
38 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

878: Vikings – Invasions of England» Forums » General

Subject: Which game should I back: 878: Vikings Invade England or Rising Sun? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert P
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both games look great (but in a different way)
Both games have a similar game structure as far as "dudes on a map"
Assuming I could only back one game (money is a slight issue), which should it be?

(btw I'm posting this same question in the Rising Sun forum as well....not sure where the proper place to ask this question is, plus I don't want to get TOO biased of answers)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I think Rising Sun. You will never get the KS exclusives if you don't KS it. 878 might have some minor KS exclusives, but you will be able to get the game 99% complete at retail later if you choose to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Speicher
United States
Potomac Falls
VIRGINIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigsixer wrote:
Honestly, I think Rising Sun. You will never get the KS exclusives if you don't KS it. 878 might have some minor KS exclusives, but you will be able to get the game 99% complete at retail later if you choose to.

i'd check out mare nostrum for comparisions, limited exclusives.

Not sure how long they'll be made:
https://academygames.com/games/mare-nostrum/product/mare-nos...

and you'll end up paying more after retail for the big map and such. slightly different you can get the 878 content afterwards, but it'll be more costly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jwspiker wrote:
Bigsixer wrote:

i'd check out mare nostrum for comparisions, limited exclusives.

Not sure how long they'll be made:
https://academygames.com/games/mare-nostrum/product/mare-nos...

and you'll end up paying more after retail for the big map and such. slightly different you can get the 878 content afterwards, but it'll be more costly.

Single minis for Blood Rage that were KS exclusives are going for $60+ on EB right now. I don't expect that level but if Rising Sun is a good game, there will be a market for those KS Exclusive minis just like there is for BR and there will be no way to get them, other than eBay prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Nieuwkoop
Netherlands
Klundert
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big history fan, so 878 vikings it is cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
I like some room for maneuver in a game like this and the Rising Sun map looks like there's not much of that going on since there are only eight areas.

Having played a good bit of 1775 (a previous game using a similar system), I'm pretty sure what to expect with 878. Rising Sun has lots of detailed minis if that's what you are after, but reading the rules, nothing really grabs me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
Find the money somehow and grab both, that is what I did
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Moore
England
Birmingham
flag msg tools
designer
badge
'This War Without an Enemy'
mbmbmbmbmb
I was also considering both games. In the end, I've just gone for Vikings, because it is fairly historical, I know roughly what sort of game it is (I've played 1775) and I'm sure I'll get it on the table. Although I'm partial to Japanese history, especially the Sengoku Period, Rising Sun seems to be a fantasy set in a very vaguely-defined historical era. The miniatures look great, but will have no effect whatsoever on game play, and it is the quality of the game that counts most for me. If I just want something that looks good then I'll buy a 54mm diorama and paint it myself - beats unpainted plastic figures any day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
878 is more historical and Rising Sun is lurid fantasy. Matter of taste. Both are very abstract.

I backed 878 but have to admit what I really am waiting for is Pendragon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Hurman
Australia
Oxley
Australian Capital Territory
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Based on your post, I don't think anyone will know which game you will like more (though they may give opinions which game they themselves like more).

For that reason, you're mostly getting responses that are about exclusives and resale value. I agree with others in that regard, Rising Sun will give you more exclusive stuff (and probably more $ worth of non-exclusive stuff too) and will have higher resale value. I think some of the exclusives in Rising Sun (stackable fortresses, extra clan) are more useful than a lot of what you usually get too (473 extra monster minis).

I'm personally backing 878 because I've been interested in the game system for a while, I think I may enjoy it more and i think it adds more variety to my collection than Rising Sun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I canceled my Rising Sun pledge when 878 came up. I'm a huge fan of the stuff Academy Games produces, and have a very high opinion of the system behind this game, having played and loved 1775.

Eric Lang is an amazing designer too, so you really can't go wrong either way. Like others have mentioned, you could probably recoup your entire pledge cost by just ebaying some of the exclusives down the line, if gaming money gets tight. Probably could recoup the cost AND get enough cash to buy 878 at retail later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
robnixilis wrote:

These games are very very very different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert P
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
Like others have mentioned, you could probably recoup your entire pledge cost by just ebaying some of the exclusives down the line, if gaming money gets tight. Probably could recoup the cost AND get enough cash to buy 878 at retail later.

This is a good idea, however, I think part of the reason Blood Rage exclusives sell for so much is because that campaign funded under 1 million dollars. Rising Sun will most likely break 4 million dollars and has many more people backing it, leading me to believe that the Kickstarter exclusives may be less valuable (as far as eBay prices go) compared to Blood Rage.

What do people think about that idea?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hedekar
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
robnixilis wrote:
cbs42 wrote:
Like others have mentioned, you could probably recoup your entire pledge cost by just ebaying some of the exclusives down the line, if gaming money gets tight. Probably could recoup the cost AND get enough cash to buy 878 at retail later.

This is a good idea, however, I think part of the reason Blood Rage exclusives sell for so much is because that campaign funded under 1 million dollars. Rising Sun will most likely break 4 million dollars and has many more people backing it, leading me to believe that the Kickstarter exclusives may be less valuable (as far as eBay prices go) compared to Blood Rage.

What do people think about that idea?

I agree, so far 25,300 (and growing) backers on RS, there was <10,000 for Blood Rage. I'd bet a large market for the KS exclusive blood rage minis is those extra 15,000 backers that now also want RS. Additionally, RS has sooooooooo many extras that I feel a bunch of people will be employing this strategy after playing with them once or twice. Possibly this will even flood a shallow market. Additionally, BR only had a handful of extras, making a completionist actually willing to buy those couple extra bits, but RS has soooooo many that the market of completionists may be much smaller. This is all hypothetical though.

The concept of backing a game with the purpose of later selling the KS exclusive components seems like a gamble I wouldn't undertake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael MS
Australia
DUBBO
NSW
flag msg tools
Check my instagram @feeltheboardgame and Youtube @Feeltheboard
badge
Ouch, my nose.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you need to really thing about theme and mechanics. Historical games are my weak point, so i backed Vikings.

For me, Rising Sun is another Blood rage with different miniatures and some japanese historical background (More fantasy than history). Beautifull, probably a great game, but, not my thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jools Thomas
Japan
Takarazuka
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also bare in mind there was an early bird for 878 which you've now missed so you'd be paying $5 more than most people. Head on over to RS is what I'd do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Densham
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robnixilis wrote:
Both games look great (but in a different way)
Assuming I could only back one game (money is a slight issue), which should it be?

(btw I'm posting this same question in the Rising Sun forum as well....not sure where the proper place to ask this question is, plus I don't want to get TOO biased of answers)

One more thing...

You'll get 878 this year. If you do intend to sell it, you'll be able to play the heck out of it by the time Rising Sun arrives.

Just sayin...

Tim (who might be biased (nope, I AM biased))
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Richardsville
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I considered backing Rising Sun but I'm really fed up with Kickstarter exclusives. So much so that if a game starts adding a ton of exclusives, I'll just pass. I don't like being manipulated into buying something. My game collection has reached the point that hardly any of my games get the playtime I feel they should so I don't really need to add more to it. I don't enjoy trying to sell things on eBay either so I don't buy games to turn a profit. Lastly I didn't really like a lot of the art in Risibg Sun. It's just a bit to gory for me. I'm very impressed with the way Academy Games is running this kickstarter. I feel like I'm going to get a quality game and I'm not being made to feel like I'm going to be screwed if I don't buy it right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
trakes wrote:
I considered backing Rising Sun but I'm really fed up with Kickstarter exclusives. So much so that if a game starts adding a ton of exclusives, I'll just pass. I don't like being manipulated into buying something. My game collection has reached the point that hardly any of my games get the playtime I feel they should so I don't really need to add more to it. I don't enjoy trying to sell things on eBay either so I don't buy games to turn a profit. Lastly I didn't really like a lot of the art in Risibg Sun. It's just a bit to gory for me. I'm very impressed with the way Academy Games is running this kickstarter. I feel like I'm going to get a quality game and I'm not being made to feel like I'm going to be screwed if I don't by it right now.

Yes me too absolutely, and it's affected my view of 878 a little too. But only a little. And I'm not complaining. Honest. I'm currently backing Rising Sun, with no desire to even consider opening it. Every new lump of silly pointy plastic just gives me the impression that the game itself is less and less important or any good. Which doesn't make that much sense, but it's all about feelz...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stevenson
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This reply is on the basis of a quick look at your collection. You already own Blood Rage and currently rate it 6. Assuming that you rate using something approximating the approved scale that means that you think it is fine, but it isn't amongst your top games.

My understanding of Rising Sun is that it is similar to Blood Rage. It might be much better, but depending on what criteria you applied to rate Blood Rage a 6 you may find Rising Sun provides only a similar level of enjoyment. If Rising Sun addresses any of the particular issues you may have had with Blood Rage that caused you to not fall in love with it, it might be perfect for you. But you don't have anything that I would consider directly comparable to 878 in your collection at the moment, so it has more unknown potential to be a 9 or 10 for you instead of a 6.

Caveats: I am not interested in Rising Sun, and I've backed 878. The real world historical trappings are what I dig about 878. I tried to approach this query by providing disinterested advice based on your existing collection and ratings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rosie_187 wrote:
This reply is on the basis of a quick look at your collection. You already own Blood Rage and currently rate it 6. Assuming that you rate using something approximating the approved scale that means that you think it is fine, but it isn't amongst your top games.

My understanding of Rising Sun is that it is similar to Blood Rage.
Whilst they look the same, Rising Sun is far more about player negotiation / allegiances. Diplomacy style. Which is also really unlike Blood rage. Whilst there is conflict and area control... that's also in 878....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also in the middle. Although the games are very different.

878 Vikings is more a classic, build your army and conquer the land type of game. More armies and you will probably win most battles. You can have some battle cards and upgrades but basically it's far more realistic. You feel much more like a general looking over a battlefield in 878 (or Mare Nostrum, one of my favourite games) than in Blood Rage/Rising Sun. Generally I like this type of game a bit better.
Graphics wise I find it disappointing, though. The board, the minis and the cards look a bit amateurish and most definitely won't win any design prizes.

Rising Sun (and Blood Rage) are far more abstract, conceptual games. In a way more artifical. You don't have to have a lot of troops on the board because battle cards (BR) or coins and Ronin (RS) can quickly tip the balance. It also feels more chaotic and dynamic as one turn you can have a lot on the board, the next it may be empty. You can win by many other means than just conquest: you can actually get points by losing (Loki tactic/Seppuku + minstels + virtues) and by doing other things than having a military supremacy.
Graphics wise they are very pretty games with very high quality miniatures and artwork.

If 878 had CMON quality art components it would be a no brainer to me but as it is now I find it lacking what graphical immersion is concerned. While if you look at the average KS game, there are so many incredibly talented artists that can make absolutely gorgeous illustrations - but it seems Academy decided to save greatly on expenses in the graphical department. Which imo is a great shame. Yes I know it's a personal thing and some people would find a game on a black and white board and meeples just as enjoyable. But not me.
Things like KS exclusives don't really interest me. If I go for a game, I go (almost) all-in anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Fattimiei
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

878 was the first game I pledged in KS. Rising Sun was my second a few days later.

I think I will play 878 more than RS, because even if I love Blood rage, in my collection a game like 878 is missing, (I just hope playing time written on the board is true, because I don't want another wonderful but endless game like War Of the Ring!).

If I had to chose and the project' financing was at risk or some very important component was waiting to be unlocked, I would pledge for 878 first, but since both game are already been financed, if I have to choose only one now, no doubt I would pledge for RS, 'cause the KS exclusive are not even comparable and they won't come back.
Also, if possible, I would pledge for both at base game only over pledging for one game only but with extras!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert P
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teowulff wrote:

If 878 had CMON quality art components it would be a no brainer to me but as it is now I find it lacking what graphical immersion is concerned. While if you look at the average KS game, there are so many incredibly talented artists that can make absolutely gorgeous illustrations - but it seems Academy decided to save greatly on expenses in the graphical department. Which imo is a great shame. Yes I know it's a personal thing and some people would find a game on a black and white board and meeples just as enjoyable. But not me.

This has been a big issue with me in being on the fence --878 seems more like a game I would get played more often, but the illustrations are a bit lacklustre compared to Rising Sun....

Honestly, the cards and map look fine in 878....they're not GREAT, but they are good enough and don't look bad.

The box art for 878 however...
I think they should've just steered away from depicting a person on the box, given the artist's abilities. I think just an image of Viking Ships in the water and the shore of England on the horizon would've been fine. As it is now, that Viking on the box cover is sort of dumb looking. Just my opinion of course.

I suppose at the end of the day it should be [mostly] about the gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robnixilis wrote:
Teowulff wrote:

This has been a big issue with me in being on the fence --878 seems more like a game I would get played more often, but the illustrations are a bit lacklustre compared to Rising Sun....

Honestly, the cards and map look fine in 878....they're not GREAT, but they are good enough and don't look bad.

The box art for 878 however...
I think they should've just steered away from depicting a person on the box, given the artist's abilities. I think just an image of Viking Ships in the water and the shore of England on the horizon would've been fine. As it is now, that Viking on the box cover is sort of dumb looking. Just my opinion of course.

I suppose at the end of the day it should be [mostly] about the gameplay.

Yes. Yes it should be. Funny how these conversations (to my knowledge) didn't happen with 1812 / 1775 / 1754... i.e when there wasn't a bandwagon theme and minis on it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.