Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
endofturn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was taught this online from someone -- I asked them and no one at the table knew.

Player 1 was drinking a drink it was a mead card and due to whatever what happening they had the option to split it. They split it with me. This would have killed me.

I played a sometimes ignore drink card on the mead.

Player 1 played an I don't think so on my sometimes card.

Player 2 played an I don't think so on Player 1's I don't think so.

This all resolved and Player 1 took their split of the alcohol and I ignored mine.

During all of this time I had an Anytime card that would have forced Player 1 to pay 1 coin to the inn.

Could I have played that card in response to his I don't think so card, killing him before his drink or anything else took effect?

Neither of the more experienced players knew if this was possible (I ended up playing my Anytime later on during Player 2's turn).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben de Kemp
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only if you played the Anytime card before the Drink Drinks phase actually began.

As per the rule book, if someone runs out of gold, they don't immediately lose, but instead all other played cards are carried out, and then he gets a final chance to save himself.

So, if instead of playing your Ignore, you played the Anytime card, you would actually end up both being eliminated. You because you drank the mead, him because he's now broke.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Waller
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy answer: Yes you could have made Player 1 pay 1 Gold to the Inn, but that wouldn't make Player 1 immediately lose the game.

Long answer: There's a quasi-stack in RDI. The important thing to know is that no player can be eliminated until all card effects have been resolved. So in your example, even if you stripped the 1 Gold from Player 1, if you still died to your drink, they would be around to get a share of your gold and thus not lose. Therefore, the correct play for you (if you wanted to eliminate Player 1 without risk of getting a drink) would have been to make them Tip the Wench BEFORE they revealed a Drink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bullen
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Can you clarify a question about the timing and the way the stack for Red Dragon Inn works?

The way I understand how it works is that whenever a player plays a card, or a card resolves, any other player can respond with applicable sometimes and (non-relevant) anytime cards. When a player responds to a card being played that card would resolve first then the original card would resolve.

The stack would function by a "Last in first out" order.

Example: players A, B, and C are at 20 fortitude
Player A plays an action card "each other player loses 1 fortitude"
In response player B plays an anytime card on C "Another player gains 2 fortitude and pays you 2 gold"

The way I understand the stack resolving:
First:
Player C would gain 2 fortitude (staying at 20 fortitude) then pay Player B 2 gold.
Then:
Players B and C would lose 1 fortitude.

Would this be correct? If not any further explanation on the stack in Red Dragon Inn would be appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben de Kemp
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeb92 wrote:
Can you clarify a question about the timing and the way the stack for Red Dragon Inn works?

The way I understand how it works is that whenever a player plays a card, or a card resolves, any other player can respond with applicable sometimes and (non-relevant) anytime cards. When a player responds to a card being played that card would resolve first then the original card would resolve.

In response player B plays an anytime card on C "Another player gains 2 fortitude and pays you 2 gold"

First:
Player C would gain 2 fortitude (staying at 20 fortitude) then pay Player B 2 gold.
Then:

Would this be correct? If not any further explanation on the stack in Red Dragon Inn would be appreciated!

It's an interesting example because Player B is playing a card that isn't really a direct response to Player A's card (it doesn't counter or modify it in any way).

In that sense, I wouldn't look at it as an actual response to the first card, but just another card being played. As such, I would actually let player A's card resolve first, and THEN let player B's card resolve, as if they were simply two events played in sequence.

EDIT: Sam's response below should be considered the definitive one Makes sense to me. A response is still a response, whether it directly affects the card played or not, and should get resolution priority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Waller
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeb92 wrote:

First:
Then:

Your resolution is correct. The RDI stack/order of resolution is indeed last-in-first-out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Po Jambles
msg tools
alright here is a question.
Player 1 ignored a drink that would've killed him.
Player 2 plays Wench thinks you should quit playing with the drinks.
Can player 1 let that resolve and then play another ignore Drink? or is it once a stack is resolved that's it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben de Kemp
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pojambles wrote:
alright here is a question.
Player 1 ignored a drink that would've killed him.
Player 2 plays Wench thinks you should quit playing with the drinks.
Can player 1 let that resolve and then play another ignore Drink? or is it once a stack is resolved that's it?

Yes he can. From the RDI5 Rulebook:

"If a player plays a response to a card and that response resolves, each player (in turn order, as above) has another opportunity to respond to the original card. If no player does, the original card resolves."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Po Jambles
msg tools
Alright, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.