Subject: Programmed Action fans where you at? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johan Dahlberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Ever since my days playing RoboRally this has been by far my most loved game mechanic because of the way things can go utterly, horribly wrong :) Anyone share my love?

Three questions for you:

1. What's your favorite programmed action/movement board or card game and why? I'm looking for inspiration to what my next purchase should be.

2. Do you know any clever use of this game mechanic? Doesn't have to be a *good* game, but one where the mechanic is used in new/different way.

3. If you could design any game using this as a main mechanic, what are some crazy ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mechs vs. Minions would be my vote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
Roll for it
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
1+2. Mechs vs. Minions is my current favorite. It is a cooperative game and so far has been super fun.

The programing doesn't change from turn to turn (well, it does, but mostly it stays the same). You start by programing two slots out of six, then you program one more slot each turn. Those cards don't move, though you can overwrite them later. One thing that is interesting is you can increase the power of a slot by playing similar cards on top.

Damage, of course, messes with your programming. Either it will overwrite a slot with some bad programming (Turn a to a random direction, for example) or it will rearrange slots in your program.

Very nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Cohen
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3 - A heist game. Like Ocean's 11, where everyone has their part of the plan (the programmed action), and then has to adapt to changing situations and unforeseen circumstances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GleamingTerrier wrote:
3 - A heist game. Like Ocean's 11, where everyone has their part of the plan (the programmed action), and then has to adapt to changing situations and unforeseen circumstances.

That sounds like so much fun. I'd definitely be interested in playing that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Mechs and Minions would be my vote.

This game fired RoboRally for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jozii wrote:
2. Do you know any clever use of this game mechanic? Doesn't have to be a *good* game, but one where the mechanic is used in new/different way.

I'm not sure how much peeps will argue with me on this, but I think Gravwell: Escape from the 9th Dimension qualifies for programmed movement done in a different and cool way.

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Very OOP these days, but I really think my favorite with this mechanic: Swashbuckler and Adventurer.
(same system, first one is hand-to-hand pirate-era melee, second one is gripping appendage -to- gripping appendage sci-fi melee)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I enjoyed RoboRally back in the day, and its miniatures were perhaps the only miniatures I ever painted!

FWIW currently RAMbots replaced it for me (simpler more elegant rules and consistently shorter play time). RAMbots came out about the same time and uses Looney pyramids on an 8x8 board.

I enjoyed WarpWar with its simultaneous combat orders, but alas people I played it with in recent years thought it was too much paperwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Sorry I'm late! I ended up accidentally going past this thread and had to wait a turn to come back.

Lords of Xidit is a programming game which has been a recent hit with my playgroup.

Two programming games that I'd really like to try are Magic Realm and Mechs vs. Minions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AquaSphere anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sao123 wrote:
AquaSphere anyone?
While I like the game, it doesn't really fit the "plan your move and watch everything go horribly awry" mechanism that the OP is looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
sao123 wrote:
AquaSphere anyone?
While I like the game, it doesn't really fit the "plan your move and watch everything go horribly awry" mechanism that the OP is looking for.

so sorry... it seemed like a good fit.
AquaSphere has the same amount of pre-programming actions as
Star Wars: Armada or Sails of Glory.

OP did say preprogrammed actions, not just program and move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Xidit is really fun and has a great, unique scoring system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
goosarino strangeprawn
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
I wear overtext now.
badge
Overtext is cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Omigosh Space Alert, wonderful ridiculous vicious idiotic Space Alert

What's not to love in a game where two people getting jammed in the lift door and someone else forgetting to shoogle the computer mouse to stop the screensaver coming on leads to everyone getting eaten by a space octopus?

But can I convince other people to play it? Can I arse...

(edits: apparently I've given up proofreading for Lent)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
Roll for it
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
Ninja-ed, because I wrote a detailed response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2 I've played recently are:
Mechs vs. Minions
Colt Express

I think Mechs vs Minions is the best. Mixing programmed action with cooperative is really good. Many people don't enjoy competitive games where the luck factor is too high, but they don't mind more of a luck factor in a cooperative game.

As long as the luck of movement programming doesn't kill you straight away - that is what people complain about in Galaxy Trucker. Getting their ship split in half just because a killer asteroid hits the same unprotected spot 3 times out of sheer luck.

Colt Express is also fun, and while it is competitive, it is so light-hearted that you don't really mind if you win or lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Fuss
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mechs vs. Minions followed closely by The Dragon & Flagon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
+100 for Lords of Xidit. Awesome game! Programmed Movement, with Area Control...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mansfield
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I vastly prefer Galaxy Trucker over Mechs vs. Minions and RoboRally. In Galaxy Trucker, the chaos can affect just one player or all players, and there's more of a "personal" feel to building your own spaceship and making some decisions about which goods to grab and where to place them. And just reading that utterly fine rule book was a blast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough (will trade by mail)
TN
flag msg tools
badge
I like Galaxy Trucker a lot, but I'm struggling to understand how it could be categorized as having "programmed action".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kirkroberts wrote:
I like Galaxy Trucker a lot, but I'm struggling to understand how it could be categorized as having "programmed action".

I was thinking the same thing.

~V

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Carpenter
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would add my vote to Colt Express. This does have the enjoyable chaos factor of Robo Rally whilst being quicker to play.

A more serious game which has preprogrammed moves is Kings of Air and Steam which is a great game. Rather than chaos, though, it has more of a "Oh gods! My opponent has swung their airship round to get those things that I want and they'll get there first!" feeling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RoboRally has to be my favorite and longest-played for programmed action.

I've been getting up to speed on some Hamblen classics I missed out on back in the day; I really enjoy Magic Realm and am finally learning Gunslinger. Another classic I've enjoyed over the years is Wooden Ships & Iron Men.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
Roll for it
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
Two that I enjoyed, but I find aged somewhat poorly are Yaquinto's Swashbuckler and sequel Adventurer.

I'd forgotten that Magic Realm has programmed actions. I wouldn't recommend it on that account -- if someone is really excited about programmed actions I don't think MR would scratch that itch -- but it was definitely an important part of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.