Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the first scenario of what will be a 3-part campaign.

This scenario takes place entirely within the museum. The next scenario will begin in Egypt.

I'd suggest this would be appropriate to Investigators with 6-12xp. If you have less than that I would add 3 extra turns to Agenda 2a.

Files are below. They're rendered as PNG and JPG files. (JPG files being smaller).

For the cards which get pulled from the core set, the sets which they can be found in are here.

Enjoy! Let me know what you think!

Scenario 1: PNG Files

Scenario 1: JPG Files

Scenario 2: PNGs(folder)
Scenario 2: JPGs (folder)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Of the Sphinx and Sands: A Print & Play Scenario
They look good!

I may not get chance to print & play this for a while, but may I ask (for my filing system) is Of the Sphinx and Sands the name of the scenario or the campaign?

EDIT: And it's a minor/presentation thing, but I think it's worth me mentioning that many people prefer double sided cards to have the fold on the bottom edge rather than along the long side. It makes it easier to just fold and sleeve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Prebble
United Kingdom
Herne Bay
Coastal Leisure Town
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks good, thanks for doing this.
Can I add - double sided pdfs would be most welcome, but it’s your project, your choice, I'm grateful you made this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JudgementDave wrote:
They look good!

I may not get chance to print & play this for a while, but may I ask (for my filing system) is Of the Sphinx and Sands the name of the scenario or the campaign?

EDIT: And it's a minor/presentation thing, but I think it's worth me mentioning that many people prefer double sided cards to have the fold on the bottom edge rather than along the long side. It makes it easier to just fold and sleeve.

Name of the campaign. Name of the scenario is Eye on the Prize.

Funny on the side thing. I read in a different scenario's thread that people preferred to fold on the long side.as being more stable. It's definitely designed to print and fold along that edge. If there's other people that ask for the fold on the bottom, I can do it that way, too, though. But I don't see myself doing double-sided PDFs, sorry. First not sure how I'd line up front and back. And second I used GIMP to do the layouts and export and it doesn't have a PDF option. PNGs & JPGs is best I'll do.

Forgot to say the debt I owe to whoever created the templates in Strange Eons. They're awesome. I wouldn't even have attempted this without it. As an aside I'll say that all but 1 or 2 of the images are real photos that I ran through cartoonize as a processor then adjusted tint, light, and color. The sphinx picture above started as just a tourist's picture. Worked pretty well, I think.

Oh, and all of the cards pulled from the game come wholly from the core set. So no expansions needed to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluis Salvador
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi:
Nice work. I'll give you feedback when I'll play it.
Nevertheless, an observation: Page 10 is in low res and undersized. Can you fix it, please?
Kind regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lluis61 wrote:
Hi:
Nevertheless, an observation: Page 10 is in low res and undersized. Can you fix it, please?
Kind regards

Well spotted!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lluis61 wrote:
Hi:
Kind regards

Thanks. Will fix later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lluis61 wrote:
Hi:
Kind regards

Should be fixed now.

Updated pages 1, 5, and 10 to add 1 Assassin to the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluis Salvador
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone given this a try yet?

I've started on the second scenario, taking place on the streets of Cairo. It's a little similar to the Cairo scenes in Raiders of the Lost Ark with cultists instead of Nazis.

All the locations are actual places; you can scroll down the link to see 3 cards in-progress.

http://imgur.com/a/Ubu6G

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vaughan-Johnston
Canada
flag msg tools
Have not had a chance to play it yet, but will certainly let you know when I do. About to receive a first shipment from a website that makes 'pro quality' cards, and once I confirm that I did alignments right and all that, was planning on getting your first scenario professionally printed out. The cards look great, so I wanted to give them the 'royal treatment'! Anyway, will keep you posted on how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. modest

I'm glad you enjoy them. I probably spend 1-3 hours on the images for each card. Sometimes a little longer. Depends on how easy it is to find a picture that is something along the lines of what I'm looking for and if I finish one and then have to start over because it doesn't work for whatever reason. Then the cartoon'ing and color/tint and fitting to the card frame after that.

I made some more last night. This is 2 of the encounter cards for the streets of Cairo. I think they both came out pretty well. http://imgur.com/a/BeGzU

But the heart of the game, obviously, is in the mechanics. So eager to hear what you think of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihnea Cateanu
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks really good. No promises, but I just printed it and I hope I`ll get it played tonight. Will get back with my impressions.

In the meantime, I combined the files into a single PDF, mind if I link to it here so people can get it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, sure. Do whatever you want with it. I put it out there for people to use and enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihnea Cateanu
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I finally played it. Short version: really nice, professional, well done job. Congrats!thumbsup Longer version, see my post on SGOYT here (complete with bad photos).

I didn`t want to spoil stuff there, but I`ll go into more detail here:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
What I liked most was the thematic integration of the idea of slowly sifting through piles of garbage in the Artifact Room for the Eye of Horus. I got frustrated having to spend 2 actions to lower the shroud value while I had more important stuff to do like kill monsters. In the end I only managed to lower it 4 times (to 6 - I played 2 investigators) and the doom was 1 step from triggering. So I pumped all I had into an investigate action, ended with 9 investigation, drew a -2, yes baby!

Overall it felt a bit easier than most scenarios, but then again I had more experience than you recommend (both characters had 15 XP). Really looking forward to the next 2 chapters.

One small suggestion though: it would be great if, when you refer to encounter cards needed, you could put the name of the encounter set from which they are part of and/or the symbol there on the setup card. Makes setup easier.

One small correction/questions: the back of Agenda 2 refers to spawning a Cultist. By this you mean an Apprentice right?

And just to make sure (slight spoilers):

spawning the Golem at the end is basically just to give you the chance for 1 VP if you feel brave right? Or should it have spawned at the Artifact Room instead of its usual spawning place, if spawned by the Agenda card?

If anybody wants it, I put together a PDF with all the pages combined. It`s 124 MB, I took the higher quality PNG files and optimized the PDF (it was originally twice as large - could have gotten it smaller but the text was starting to appear a bit blocky).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ls7hkums4sqobiq/Of%20Sphinx%20and%...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it!! And thanks a lot for the feedback!

As an overall comment, I'll say it was supposed to be as you say, difficult but fair. At heart, an investigative race where time is the primary enemy moreso than combat. The other 2 scenarios will have different emphases as different settings bring out different obstacles. It's really just letting theme tell me what belongs to let people immerse in the story. Good point on the encounter sets. I'll add those in.

The back of Agenda 2b did envision an acolyte but it wouldn't be inconsistent with things to use the cultist of your choice. To answer your spoilers question.

The Golem will always spawn in the same place. That's where he belongs and fits: a statute coming alive in the statue hall. If you haven't progressed enough to get into the Egyptian Wing then he's an obstacle you have to get around. If you have then he's an additional VP you can go and try to collect. From a theme POV the cultists are pulling out all the stops to make life difficult.

As far as your detail comment

I tried to make the mechanics work into the story as much as possible. For me, that's what makes the scenarios work. As I've said elsewhere, the House Always Wins is the best scenario of any Arkham game I've played because of that reason. As things happen you can see how they make sense into what's going on so it feels like a story more than empty mechanics. And I've had the same pleasure in the other homemade scenarios from here that I've tried.

The game translation I envisioned for the different locations
Renaissance Room: you're stealing a painting. The more lore you know, the better gauge you are of stealing something valuable.
Medieval Room: You're grabbing a weapon out of the collection.
Greco-Roman: Reading the museum's description gives you a leg up on deciphering what's there.
Sarcophagus Room: The coffins are unwieldly. The more nimble are you,the easier it is to examine them without knocking them over.
Hieroglyhs: There's clutter everywhere. If you run out in haste, you trip/catch yourself on detrius.
Culture Room: Understanding all of the day-to-day life gives you a deeper insight, letting you take an extra clue.
Artifact Room: As you understood, you're moving junk/boxes/other artifacts that are clearly not what you're looking for to assist your more in-depth search.

I was definitely inspired by the other fan-made scenarios out there. I've probably played 3 or 4 of them at this point and all of them have been really enjoyable and very well done. And would recommend anyone to try any of them out there. They're a great way to get more mileage out of the purchase while waiting for FFG updates and additions. And without spending any more money other than paper or ink. And the person who put together the plug-in for Strange Eons is awesome.

I've put together a lot of the cards for the 2nd scenario, probably 80%. It will definitely be bigger and I'll reuse a number of the ones from the 1st scenario both for carryover theme and for people to get the most mileage out of their printings.

As an aside, this campaign draws inspiration, roughly, from Lovecraft's story Imprisoned With the Pharaohs which was published as a true narrative told by Harry Houdini. It will flow closer to that story the deeper into the campaign it gets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mihnea_1309 wrote:
One small suggestion though: it would be great if, when you refer to encounter cards needed, you could put the name of the encounter set from which they are part of and/or the symbol there on the setup card. Makes setup easier.

Added a reference cards with these to the OP. Good suggestion.

Thanks and appreciation to
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

whose work I got them from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vaughan-Johnston
Canada
flag msg tools
Whoo! Well, I finally finished playing this bad boy. I had ordered a pile of over 200 cards from a printing shop, and man was this ever worth the wait. So much nicer having thick, properly printed cards that are indistinguishable from 'official' encounter cards.

This scenario was a blast. I ended up taking notes as I went, with a slightly unusual pair of investigators, survivors from the Night of the Zealot campaign. They came in with a joblot of trauma and weaknesses, and I think it balanced fairly against the XP they'd acquired (16 each). It was doubly weird because one of the heroes was Ursula Downs, a fan-made character posted here in Variants. I think she is a strong investigator, maybe on the edge of overpowered because her ability lowers Shroud by 1 (which also helps co-investigators).

Scenario Thoughts Overall:

PROS:
+ Beautiful, beautiful location card art, buddy. They look absolutely perfect printed out.
+ I liked the whole Egyptian Rooms thing, with a separate clue set and the whole 'booby trap' type feel of the Hieroglyph room.
+ I liked that XP was hard to come by. I don't like being showered in XP. It should feel like a big deal when you get it.
+ Balance generally felt fair (Shroud, enemy scores). I think I got lucky at a few key points (i.e. pulled off a maximized "I've Got A Plan!" against the Golem).

CONS:
- I felt it was a little easy, mostly with respect to time. That being said, I was coming in with strong investigators. Still, I wasn't really pulling clues off the locations very quickly and didn't make it to Agenda 3.
- The final task was a bit too easy. I mean, I put all my eggs into one basket. But it didn't take much to get it to Shroud 8, and then one super-charged investigation can push a player to 10 or 12 for a final draw without too much agony. I could easily have wasted a couple turns drawing a pile of more resources + cards. And Hyperawareness (a staple of many Seekers) let me cheese this a bit too much. For future scenarios, maybe consider doing something for 'final challenges' that chips away at the player a bit more? Like, if I was fending off enemies while doing this, or was punished for committing piles of cards on, or if the Shroud had to have been reduced by at least X amount...?

This is probably detail overkill, but since you are a scenario maker I figured you might like the extra information. I kept a log of the game:

Game music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-heSRbvCErU
Zoey Samaras (2 mental trauma, 2 physical)
Ursula Downs* (3 mental trauma, 2 physical): starts with Charisma in play.

Set up:
Ursula: Guts, Unexpected, Baseball Bat, Lone Wolf, Hyperawareness
Mulligan out Guts, Baseball Bat; gain Kerosene Lantern, Overpower
Zoey: Leo de Luca, Rite Seeking, Physical Training, Cache, Vicious Blow
Mulligan out Physical, Vicious; gain Machete and Oops!

Turn 1: “Let’s get in and out before anyone notices anything.”
PLAYER PHASE: Zoey plays Cache (resources 8). Plays Leo (resources 2, +1 action).
Investigates against Shroud 0 (Ursula ability). Draw Skull. Draw -1. Total -2 = pass.
Investigates again against Shroud 0. Draws -1. Pass.
## The Renaissance Gallery sounds creepy af. Let’s check it out!
Ursula moves to Renaissance Gallery. Then plays Lone Wolf (R 4). Then Hyperawareness (R 2).
## If I’m going to be rich, might as well be able to spend it!
UPKEEP: Zoey draws Amnesia and drops all cards except Machete. R3.
Ursula draws Guts. R3.
Running clue total: 2.

Turn 2: “You try the torch. I’m trying the machete.”
MYTHOS: Doom = 1 of 2. Ursula draws Tricks of Shadows. Fails = 1 horror.
Zoey draws Museum Guard.
## Thank goodness it is aloof, as I don’t have Machete out. I do love the thoughtfulness of having special flashlights for the guards for when you knock them out.
PLAYER PHASE: Zoey moves to Medieval Exhibit.
## Interesting. Could not play Machete, and instead Subdue the Guard using the room’s special. But then the Guard will just keeping waking up and plaguing me due to Hunter.
Zoey plays Machete (R 0). Moves to Greco-Roman room.
## Again, really cool. Leo giving me +1 action could let me use this room quite well. But I’d still need the help of Ursula’s -1 Shroud at a minimum. Now I’m wishing I kept the Rite of Seeking!
Zoey draws a card: Zoey’s Cross!
## (Now that is handy!)
Ursula’s Lone Wolf triggers (R 4). Plays Kerosene lantern (R 2). Investigates with lantern twice: -1 each time passes.
ENEMY PHASE: guard moves to Zoey.
UPKEEP: Ursula R 5, Zoey R 1. Ursula draws Lv 2 Deduction. Zoey draws Prepared for the Worst.
Running clue total: 4.

Turn 3: “Oh God, it’s burning, it’s burning!”
MYTHOS: doom is 2 out of 2. Advances.
## Holy cow that is a lot of new cards! Agenda 2a flavor text is really spooky and atmospheric.
Guard engages Zoey. (R2)
Ursula draws Assassin. It can spawn at either investigator’s location so I choose my own (since I don’t want Zoey getting overwhelmed or the Machete stops working). Zoey draws False Lead (of course!), so commits Prepared to get +1. Draws -2, so she loses all clues anyway.
PLAYER PHASE: Zoey attacks the Guard with Machete several times, drawing the Alien symbol at one point. Guard is chopped to death. Plays her Cross, and then goes to Renaissance Gallery.
Ursula commits Overpower against Assassin, discarding the Lantern. Assassin is incinerated in a ghastly inferno. She then commits Courage + Deduction in a super investigate that draws three clues, and then does a normal investigate that draws a clue.
ENEMIES: are all dead!
UPKEEP: Ursula R 6, Zoey R2. Ursula gets Lucky!; Zoey gets Evidence.
Running clue total: 6

Turn 4: “Machetes don’t solve everything.”
MYTHOS: 1 of 12.
Ursula gets It Moved! Tests Knowledge, and has to commit Lucky to pass (expletive!)
Zoey gets another Museum Guard. When it engages, she fires off Zoey’s Cross to damage it.
## Begone, foul public servant!
PLAYER PHASE: Ursula begins, getting to R6 from Lone Wolf. Three good investigations.
Zoey attacks and misses the Guard no less than four times in a row, mostly due to auto-fails.
## …
ENEMY PHASE: Zoey gets tasered up to 4 damage (of 9).
UPKEEP: Ursula R7, Zoey R3. Ursula draws her special weakness Wanderlust. Zoey gets a flashlight.
Running clue total: 9

Turn 5: “Go big or go home”
MYTHOS: 2 of 12.
Ursula puts an Acolyte into the Greco Roman room.
Zoey draws the Golem!
PLAYER PHASE: Zoey finally murders the poor guard as her sick fancy demanded. Moves to the Greco-Roman room where her Cross explodes the acolyte (plays Evidence to get a clue). R4 from the Golem engagement. Hits the Golem for 2 damage.
Ursula joins, using I’ve Got A Plan plus four resources through Hyperawareness (R 0). Golem is crushed.
ENEMY PHASE: they’re all dead!
UPKEEP: Ursula R 1 and draws Psychosis! Zoey R5 and draws Dexterity.
Running clue total: 10

Turn 6: “The hieroglyphs aren’t moving, the hieroglyphs aren’t moving, the hieroglyphs aren’t moving…”
MYTHOS: 3 of 12.
Ursula gets Echoing Footsteps (Zoey commits Dexterity). Loses an action.
Zoey draws Tricks of Shadows. Awfully, she gets two skulls before a Tablet, so she loses 2 actions on top of taking a horror.
PLAYER PHASE: Ursula spends a resource on investigate: pass. Raw investigate
(## only 1 over = I’m nervous) but it passes. Sadly, that means Wanderlust + Psychosis trigger.
Zoey’s first action advances the act.
## Bit complicated with all the coming-and-going encounter sets and discard mixing, but I think I got it all done right. Egyptian Lore clues, eh? How exotic!
Zoey moves to Hieroglyphs.
## Ooh, a trap! Also, I LOVE that if Ursula had done this instead, she would have ignored it due to her card ability, which is so appropriate! Like Indiana Jones bypassing a rolling boulder trap.
Zoey moves to Egyptian Room and takes the horrible damage! One goes to Leo.
UPKEEP: Ursula R1 and gets ‘Look what I found!’ Zoey R5 and Unexpected Courage.
Running clue total: 0, Egypt 0

Turn 7: “Look everywhere. Between the two of us, surely we’ll find that damn Eye…”
MYTHOS: 4 of 12.
Ursula gets Crypt Chill but passes from Guts.
Zoey gets It Moved!, applies Courage, and passes narrowly.
PLAYER PHASE: Ursula R2 from Wolf. Moves to Zoey. One investigate: passes.
Zoey plays flashlight, and investigates thrice, passing twice (one auto fail).
UPKEEP: R3 Ursula + Fire Axe. R4 Zoey + Knife.
Running clue total: 0, Egypt 3

Turn 8: “Do you hear that?” “Yeah… is that chanting?” “Oh God. From the Sarcophagus Chamber…”
MYTHOS: 5 of 12.
Acolyte spawns in Sarcophagus Room, which immediately gets 2 more doom from Chanting!
PLAYER PHASE: Zoey goes to the Sarcophagus and engages the cultist, who immediately melts under the righteous indignation of her cross. However, she is unable to abide being in this horrific room. She goes to the Artifact Room.
## Although there are no clues here, clearly this is going to be important later. So I may as well progress now!
Zoey tries to smash down the door to the Artifact Room (discarding knife to help). The door explodes inwards! Draws: Rite of Seeking.
Ursula (Lone Wolf: R4) investigates the Culture Room, and succeeds, deciding to pull one clue from the dangerous Hieroglyph room. She goes to the Hierogylphs room (## hoping to Look What I Found! It), and passes a check. Decides to move to Sacrophagus Room as she cannot stand the creeping movement in the Hieroglyph chamber.
UPKEEP: Ursula R5 + Perception. Zoey R5 + Police Badge.
Running clue total: 0, Egypt 6

Turn 9: “I made a deal with the devil. And he gave me… a baseball bat. Hmmph.”
MYTHOS: 6 of 12.
Ursula accepts the Offer of Power (yikes!) putting doom at 8 of 12. Draws a rather useless Baseball Bat and Knife for her trouble
Zoey gets Dissonant Voices.
PLAYER PHASE: Ursula fails the Sarcophagus roll. 2 against Shroud 2 kind of sucks. She investigates twice, trying to bait out a chance to use Look What I Found!, and passes on the second try. Advance the Act! Ursula moves to the Artifact Room to avoid her weakness.
Zoey, stuck with Dissonant Voices, can’t remember the words to intone to draw out her Rite of Seeking. Nonetheless, she tries to contribute, and rummages through enough trash to reduce the shroud by 1.
UPKEEP: R4 Ursula + Preposterous Sketches. R6 Zoey + Guard Dog.
Running Shroud on Artifact: 9

Turn 10: “My hand trembles at the very sight of it… my God, my God, it is magnificent…”
MYTHOS: 9 of 12.
Mysterious Chanting = a Brigand engages Ursula. Zoey gets rats which die instantly to her cross.
PLAYER PHASE: Zoey engages and dispatches the Brigand easily. She screws up an investigation attempt.
## Ursula is facing Shroud 8 with 4 investigate. Perception + 4 Hyperawareness puts her two over. Four over if Zoey commits a card and Ursula also burns Preposterous. So she tries…
Success! I win!
Experience…
Locations: 1 (Sarcophagus). Enemies: 1 (Golem). Acquired eye: 1. Guards: nope, totally killed them = 0.
Total doom acquired up until this turn = 10 (8 on present, 2 on Agenda 1).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Great log!

I'm working on finishing the 2nd scenario. I thought it was finished but then playtested it with friends and am now tweaking some things. The next one will be slightly bigger and more varied.

To your comments

I'm finding balance really hard to do. Some things scale to different player counts; others are a bit more clunky. And then it varies a lot on the strengths of the investigators playing. I will say that the 3 scenarios will be harder and easier for different specialities. So finding clues will always be a part of it but an investigator who is strongly lean that way may find the first one geared to them but then the other 2 presenting harder challenges. But nonetheless and no matter what, I'm finding balancing difficult. I think the best I can do is see if it comes out about right for the few groups I playtest it with and at least make the rest of it interesting.

Re: the final task, read the back of Agenda 2. You might find the challenge you were looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I've now finished the second scenario: files put into the original post above. This one is Chaos in Cairo. It's larger and more varied than the first one. You'll find criminals, beggars, and maybe a demon here and there. And of course, the cultists. Still after the Eye. Oh, and some new friends and new toys to play with.

As before, the only cards needed are the Core Set. Printing the Scenario Map is entirely optional. All of the locations from the scenario are actual neighborhoods or buildings in Cairo. And the map is a Cairo map with the locations overlaid. So if you want to really get into it, there you go.

It's probably scaled for 12xp, give or take. If you have less than 5xp, you may have some problems. If you have less than 10, I'd give yourself 3 or so extra turns in the first Agenda.

Let me know if you have any comments, suggestions, or spot some errors!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaist Heidegger
msg tools
mb
Excellent work, eager to see the conclusion to the trilogy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Any specific comments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihnea Cateanu
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks fantastic! But man was it a beast to cut. I think I wanna wait for the full campaign and play it all with my GF, since we're stuck in our Dunwich campaign anyway (can't find anything past Blood on the altar in stock).

Is the final scenario still in the works? And would you say that playing it like an official campaign (0 experience at the start) would be ok or is it too tough that way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! The number of cards kept growing but I wanted to make it as immersive and thematic as I could and didn't want to use any cards outside of the core set to make it as accessible as possible.

We just finished Undimensioned and Unseen which a couple people called one of the best scenarios they played. So it's worth hunting down!

I haven't started the 3rd scenario. Before yesterday I hadn't gotten any sign anyone had even played the 2nd and probably spent at least 100 hours making it. But if you guys are playing it, I'll start. I do have the gameplay and endgame in mind.

If you wanted to play it as a standalone csmpaign straight through, I'd say give yourself about 8xp before you start. You'll probably have a rough time if you start with 0.

When you do play it, let me know what you think! Knowing that people have enjoyed it is what makes it worthwhile!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaist Heidegger
msg tools
mb
There's a good sense of adventure with how the locations are handled, in part 2 especially--it's always much more entertaining if there's things going on at locations and it seems like a relatively common pitfall for fan-made scenarios to have most if not all locations just be clue sites (not that a few 'plain' locations is necessarily a bad thing.) I also liked the treachery cards that offered more than one option, too.

Most tweaking suggestions would be just in the line of ease of printing--there's a lot of cutting involved since they're not really in a 'foldable' format, but this is ultimately just a nitpick for convenience sake. Scenario 2 was a lot easier at least in the cutting department, just something you might consider for Scenario 3 if you tackle it.

Similarly a bit of a nitpick, but just following formatting 'standards' from the official cards would be my other suggestion (e.g. a bold R3 instead of saying Resolution 3.)

I'll be pushing to run it with a group next time around and I'll see if we can't put together some more elaborate specific feedback than that--but on the whole, this felt like a very well put-together scenario!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.