Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JagFred
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is just one man's opinion, but I feel very strongly that the "Live Fast, Die Young" card only makes sense if the person who wins it dies one (or more) Rounds (decades) ahead of the other players.

You're trading in one fewer Round (with several turns based on the number of hourglasses you might have had) for a flat 9 points and hoping it works out for you in the long run. If you're the ONLY person who dies in his 60's, you'll get 9 points and everyone else will get another turn, which may or may not be better than your 9 points.

I don't like the idea of all four players making it into their 70's, say, and each person has only one or two stress spaces left, and each person has only a couple of hourglasses left (after upkeep costs and losing hourglasses to the high stress level) and the first person plays an hourglass and then discards a couple of cards to intentionally die first and gets a BIG FAT 9-POINT BONUS. That's intentional suicide and shouldn't be rewarded. (I'm not talking about the moral implications, here; it's just a game, of course. I'm simply saying that intentionally ending your game early on purpose shouldn't be rewarded with 9 points.) In this scenario everyone had the same number of Rounds, so no one really died "early" (or at least not significantly so).

In the several games I've played, the winning players (and even many of the losing players) scored in the 60 - 70 point range. Other players usually get at least 50 points. Over 7 Rounds (decades) that's about 8 or 9 points per Round. So, giving up a whole Round for 9 points seams equitable. But getting 9 points because you died "a few days" ahead of the other players and the other players only get to use their last hourglass or two is (IMHO) not equitable.

Therefore, our house rule is that anyone who dies ALONE during the Upkeep phase of a decade (and is the first person to die) earns the "Live Fast, Die Young" 9-point bonus. Anyone who dies ALONE during the active (hourglass-playing) portion of a decade (and is the first person to die) earns the "Live Fast, Die Young" 9-point bonus. If multiple people are the first to die during the Upkeep phase of a decade, no one wins the bonus. And if multiple people are the first to die during the active (hourglass-playing) portion of a decade, no one wins the bonus.

It works well for us. Give it a try. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Racer
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad
badge
We are living our lives... Abound with so much information... Come on, let go of the remote,
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad your variant works well for you.

Personally, I don't have an issue with using the card as is. Knowing it's sitting there, you can game your short term happiness in the prior round so you can go first. Part of the game's fun is figuring out how to adjust to the goal cards. Life isn't always fair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have mentioned this in the past that the intent of the discard-rule was never to "abuse" it in order to die more easily and get this objective. So, even though it is not forbidden in the rules right now, I personally advise against it and suggest that people do not allow it during play.

However, whether this is allowed or not, should be clarified and agreed by all players at the start of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.