9 Posts

The Great War» Forums » Sessions

Subject: It's a long way to Tipperary rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R. M.
Belgium
flag msg tools
I bought the game and have been cutting plastic troops for hours. Some of my British troops lost a bayonet, and the German machine gunners didn't want to stay stuck to their guns angry
After that I set up for the first scenario. It almost took half an hour to get al the right terrain tiles and place the miniatures. Almost scared to have another bayonet broken or an MG falling apart, I insisted on being very very careful
Finally, the first game, and we launched a British attack on the German trenches.

Over the top and... into despair. I found it somewhat hard to check the rulebook for almost every single action and reserve artillery attack didn't even scratch the enemy. In no time the Germans had 2 VP for destroying 2 rifle units. The fact that riflemen are only useful in close combat seemed logical, but mortars crossing No Man's Land to be at least effective instead of shelling from their own trenches, felt awkward. Machine guns were better in defense (OK), and because it was the first game there was little too use of the bombers unit ability.

The dice were against me, but I finally chased away a German rifle unit, and the last plastic soldier of another rifle unit kept many Jerries wondering if he was immortal or not.
Af two hours of intense fighting, mostly because firing from a two hex distance brought little damage, I considered the game as lost: most of my men were kicked back to their trenches, shelling areas did little good, and the one unit that broke through never saw any mates for assistance.

Maybe it was the endless and disappointing cutting of miniatures, or the time it took to set up the game, but I was really happy that the session ended. I will give it a second shot, but my first experience was quite negative, and made me doubt to buy the Tank expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C.
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sprue cutting frustration notwithstandng . . . I think the game play evokes the difficulty of WWI trench warfare fairly well. Artillery is inaccurate. Very hard to achieve success across open ground vs. entrenched enemy with MGs. Not easy stuff.

Give it a few few more tries when you're not still angry about broken bayonets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
takes a few tries to get the attacking tactics right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Nemo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ayreon wrote:
I bought the game and have been cutting plastic troops for hours. Some of my British troops lost a bayonet, and the German machine gunners didn't want to stay stuck to their guns angry

Maybe it was the endless and disappointing cutting of miniatures, or the time it took to set up the game, but I was really happy that the session ended. I will give it a second shot, but my first experience was quite negative, and made me doubt to buy the Tank expansions.

Problems with removing from the sprue is a constant problem for everyone.

It takes a few battles to understand how to fight in the Great War style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this is a very different game (tactics wise) from Napoleonics or American Civil War. Need to use terrain to your advantage at all times! Keep trying...you'll get there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harper
United States
Maricopa
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely don't give up on it! I enjoy it as much as I do Ancients and Napoleonics. If you would like an example of play, I can email you a bunch of VASSAL log files from a VASSAL PBEM game. One of my VASSAL buddies, Iain, and I have played all the scenarios in the base game, and are just starting on those that came with the Tank expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
also a bunch of full game VASSAL files in the Tournament section of the fan site
https://www.commandsandcolors.net/thegreatwar/articles/tourn...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Scholes
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't want to bother with the miniatures I have done a set of top down counters that you can print and cut out to use as counters, groups of 4 counters with each counter representing a different sized squad that you change as each individual is removed from the squad. They are in 6 pdfs, which are quite big (~6Mb per pdf) so a little large to post on BGG but PM me with your email id. if you want a set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Raspler
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The trick for attacking infantry is to get up close to the enemy, where the trenches are less effective and your troops roll an extra die. Of course, once you're that close to the enemy trench, it's smart to hop right in and gain the same defensive benefits for your own guys.

Ideally, half the time you play this game, your attack will fizzle and your poor abused Tommies will end up stumbling back to their own lines shell-shocked and exhausted. The other half the time, the outnumbered defenders will start to slip and find themselves overwhelmed and wiped out.

If neither of those World War One-like cases sound like they'll provide you with any entertainment, you should probably sell the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.