Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: The Shadow Rune Project rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karl X
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What new features will be in Valkyrie 2.2?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
mbmbmbmbmb
The most important feature (which will hopefully make it into Valkyrie 2.2) is a rework of random monster group handling.

Currently, due to technical limitations, random monsters can only be used for the most basic stuff, because there is no way to use advanced features (like reacting to a random group being defeated or spawning reinforcements at other points than their original spawn position).

Due to this, and another problem, which causes the possibility of duplicate monster group spawns if random and fixed monster groups are present in the same scenario, it is extremly complicated to create quests with even slight variablity in monster usage. Currently we are effectively limited to fixed monster groups, which also means we are limited to base game content (so 9 groups for all the scenarios).

Once we are able to use random monster groups, we can finally create quests which contain all of the monsters the player has in his collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
Still good to see you're still on it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope I will be able to revisit developing the campaign once 2.2 is out, but I'm currently busy with Embers of Dread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am unsure if I’ll get back to this project. I would love to see it completed but the delay in these updates has pulled my attention to other projects. I’m pleased there are still others interested and hopeful others will help when the time comes. If the problems are fixed and the project continues I will revisit my involvement. I really would love to see this and other campaigns created. Thanks for all you have done Delphidie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tan tum
msg tools
Would be nice to have you back in the project Charles. I have just finished implementing "The Dawnblade" and "Enduring the Elements". I hope it will not take to long for Delphi to add these quests to the campaign.

The last versions of valkyrie have improved random monster usage a bit. Therefore it's not as annoying as before to use random monsters in the quests. Still not perfect but should be enough for most use cases in the Shadow rune campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your work Tantum. I'll try to update the quest this evening.

Edit: The new update is now live.

Changes:
- Added the quests "The Dawnblade" and "Enduring the Elements" by Tantum

Regards,
Delphi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
mbmbmbmbmb
Once again, many thanks to Tantum, who is hard-working and developing new content. Thanks to his effort we were able to release a new update today:

Changes:
- Added the quest "The Ritual of Shadows" by Tantum

Regards,
Delphi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Starmer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for keeping this project alive!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Everyone,

today I'm glad to announce, that the quests of "The Shadow Rune Project" are finally completed and implemented. As of today you are able to play a complete campaign Just grab the newest Valkyrie release (2.4.0.1 or later) and download the campaign inside the application to play it.

At this point I really want to thank all contributors to the project, but especially Tantum, who was the driving force behind keeping the project alive in the last year. He alone designed about half of the quests in the campaign, and the project would be far from done without him.

While the campaign is completely playable, there is still some work to do. Due to the number of quests and their complexitiy, it is pretty likely that there are some minor and major bugs, which could cause all sorts of problem. Due to this, I would be very grateful if you could post any issues you encounter at The Shadow Rune Github repository over here.

We are also planning to update some of the quests, add new features as soon as the are available in Valkyrie, and overall improve the balancing of the campaign. We are also open for suggestions.

Looking back to out first release, which was almost 2 and a half years ago, I'm really glad the project was finally completed. There were a lot of challgenes to face during development, but we made it

Thanks to everyone who still has passion for this game and wants to give the campaign a try.

For the record, here is our latest changelog:

- Added the missing quests "The Desecrated Tomb", "Blood of Heroes", "The Twin Idols", "The Wyrm Turns", "The Wyrm Rises", "Gryvorn Unleashed" and "The Man who would be King" by Tantum
- Completed implementation of the campaign phase (all quests are now playable!).

Important Note: Please use Valkyrie 2.4.0.1 to run the campaign. Older versions will run into an issue which leads to savegame corruption.
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B.
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is amazing! Are there any plans to adapt other campaigns to this system??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking for myself, I don't think I'll be creating another campaign, or at least not in the near future. The project took a lot longer to realize than I had planned, and there were a lot of roadblocks along the way which made it difficult to create a RtL-like experience in Valkyrie.

On the plus side however, Valkyrie is now in a good state, and has almost all the required features to create great campaigns. So, if anyone is interested in developing something themselves, you can use "The Shadow Rune" campaign as a blueprint, if you need an example on how to create a campaign.

For example the travel phase should be easily adaptable for other campaigns, as it already contains all the travel events (excluding Nerekhall's city events).

Before anyone starts to adapt a new campaign, a word of warning though:

Ideally try to assemble a team of willing coders, and have a place to coordinate. Also try to standardize certain functions in as many quests as possible, as this will make it a lot easier to debug them.

Last but not least: The best way to start would be to adapt either "Lair of the Wyrm" or "The Trollfens", as these will require a lot less work, and it will be a good opportunity to learn the ins and outs of Valkyrie before tackling one of the big expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tan tum
msg tools
Me neither.

As I already stated in another thread: Adapting the original campaigns is quite hard because of the game mechanics and has many downsides compared to a custom campaign which is currently made for valkyrie.

But I'm planning to translate the complete campaign to german. And I will continue to fix the last bugs in the Shadow Rune campaign (still waiting for a feature in valkyrie to finish some of them).

And I have some plans for an undead themed campaign. Maybe in the future...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I know nothing about coding, but if you have the text file in english I could try to translate the Shadow Rune to polish

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  |