3 Posts

Zombicide» Forums » General

Subject: Custom Survivor Balance rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard
msg tools
Hi all,

Just wanted a little advice really on what makes a custom survivor "balanced". Recently tried my hand at making one:

(Hoping to use it with one of these models http://www.hfminis.co.uk/img_cms/product_images/HFA062%20Haz...)

Want a survivor that's pretty hard to kill with a focus on ranged rather than melee in terms of combat. Just not sure how balanced it'd be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosemari Kapp
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
I know this was forever ago, but I was just discussing this with my game group when they wanted to make their own characters, and I made it clear they couldn't just give them any ability they wanted. I took the full skill list from the website and highlighted skilled with 5 colors - blue, yellow, orange, red and green to correspond to what danger level those skills could be used on, with green only being available to zombivors. Any that aren't highlighted can be used at any time.Looking at all the dashboards out there will give you a good idea of what skills shouldn't be available at 1 (and skills that should ONLY be available to start, such as starting equipment skills)I also stated there could only be 1 highlighted skill for each level, so no 3 hardcore powerful skills at red to choose from. I use a modified dashboard with 2/3/3/3 skills since our games tend to get really long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
laniea_nestalla wrote:
...and I made it clear they couldn't just give them any ability they wanted.

And i thought Zombicide was a fully co-op game!

laniea_nestalla wrote:
I took the full skill list from the website and highlighted skilled with 5 colors - blue, yellow, orange, red and green to correspond to what danger level those skills could be used on, with green only being available to zombivors.

That doesn't actually work with the published survivors. Some have powerful skills (e.g. Shove) starting out and some get the same skills much later on.

Character balance in Zombicide is as much a "by feel" estimate as by-the-numbers one, especially since there are no objective numbers, and your subjective "blue" may be my subjective "yellow", and vice versa.

laniea_nestalla wrote:
Looking at all the dashboards out there will give you a good idea of what skills shouldn't be available at 1

*cough*Shove*cough*
*cough*Brother Max*cough*

That approach isn't reliably objective because the published characters are all over the place in term of which skills they have and at which levels they can get them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.