$30.00
Eric Buscemi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamie Maltman, first appeared on Episode 86
@jmaltman

1. Introduce yourself. Where are you from? What should listeners know about you?

I'm Jamie Maltman, from Richmond Hill -- a northern suburb of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. So yes, I will use Canadian spelling. I've been playing hobby board games in one form or another pretty much continuously for almost 35 years, since I was a small kid who found a copy of TSR's Dungeon at a yard sale in the early 80s.

2. What games or types of games are you interested in?

I'm pretty much an omnigamer, but my sweet spot is Medium to medium heavy Euros, but I also like hybrids, co-ops and play a ton of family weight games with my 2 boys (5 and 7.5 at early 2017) as well. Not auctions.

3. Do you have a favorite game or games you enjoy most?

My very favourite game is Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization, but I also love Dominant Species, Concordia, and Vital Lacerda's games.

4. What are some of the most memorable experiences have you had with tabletop board games in the past?

I used to play epic length games with my high school friends, and sometimes we'd play games like Empires in Arms (a Napoleonic strategic level game up to 200 hours for the grand campaign) over many sessions during a high school summer, or 10 hour Advanced Civilization games. These days it's when my sons beat me at games, like when my 7 year old son beat me at Star Wars: Rebellion!

5. What is the focus of your WDYPTW segment?

We play a lot of games as a family, and two player my wife and I, so not only do I talk through our many plays each week, I also highlight things that my kids, my wife and I are learning from and through board games each week. Sometimes it's learning things through playing games, other times it's learning things about the games themselves, or about ourselves as it relates to games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Buscemi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to quickly add that Jamie is too modest (probably because he is Canadian) to mention that he is a published author, but you can learn more about that on his website here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Coberly
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamie, I'm taking my first trip to Canada (Vancouver, BC) next month! Any tips to not looking like a tourist up there?? Anything that an American HAS to do while they're in Canada?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Liggett
United States
Celina
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always look forward to Jamie's segments on the cast!

Keep up the good work everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Maltman
Canada
RICHMOND HILL
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MiniBen1 wrote:
Jamie, I'm taking my first trip to Canada (Vancouver, BC) next month! Any tips to not looking like a tourist up there?? Anything that an American HAS to do while they're in Canada?

I wouldn't say there's anything specific that applies to all of Canada. But Vancouver is pretty great. Beautiful city, diverse food (some spectacular Asian food), lots to see. Just make sure you know where the sketchy neighbourhoods are. They're pretty close to some nice restaurant areas- we accidentally walked through one on a work trip once. We were fine, just felt a little nervous.

I've never been, but I would check out Pizzeria Ludica while I'm there - a boardgame pizza joint! And check out his for trade/want list- he actively trades and you never know, you might have a match.

I really like Stanley Park there, right on the inlet. Vancouver Island is gorgeous too if you have a chance to visit it, but that might be a bit much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Maltman
Canada
RICHMOND HILL
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stormchaser wrote:
I always look forward to Jamie's segments on the cast!

Keep up the good work everyone!

Thanks! I look forward to doing them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Maltman
Canada
RICHMOND HILL
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ericbinnyc wrote:
I want to quickly add that Jamie is too modest (probably because he is Canadian) to mention that he is a published author, but you can learn more about that on his website here.

I really need to finish my portion of the editing of the next few books. But I keep writing the next one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamie has been helping us Learn from and through board games since Week 86 of the podcast and his family and friends keep up a pace that boggles the mind. (54:41)

But he was also a guest on one of our early Conversation Thing episodes!!

I don't know if you all know this or not, but Jamie is a pretty huge positive force of nature. A few of us on the show tend to let our negative sides roll out from time to time on the Slack channel, but Jamie always tries to reel us in and I really do appreciate that. I know that I can tend to look past the good and go to the negative a bit too easily from time to time.

One of these days I'm going to get to Toronto to see what's in the air up there.

Thank you for everything Jamie!! Keep on helping us learn from and through board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Maltman
Canada
RICHMOND HILL
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually allergic to negativity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.