Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The mobile version of Tokaido is a great way to experience the game quickly.

Tokaido is a game that will win most people over immediately with its art and relaxing, zen experience, but may feel a little devoid of decisions, light, or random in their first several games. But it will impress people more and more as they keep playing and discover it's possibilities, the subtle strategies of those key times when it does make sense to jump a little (or a lot) further or skip a meal to maximize score.

The app version can really accelerate the time it takes to deeply understand the game and some of its more nuanced strategies, and to test ever so minor imbalances between the characters in repeated plays.

I'm wondering what kinds of scores people have managed to achieve against the AI, and some of the favorite characters players have as they test a lot.

I keep wanting to break 100 points in a competitive game. So far my record is 97 in the app. What's yours?

I like all the characters, but I'm particularly fond of the ones that get meal bonuses: Kinko, Satsuki, and Hiroshige (probably in that order).

And finally, what is on Kinko's head?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Knuckles
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I scored 98 points today in a three-player game. That is easily my best game. I was using the character that gets to draw an encounter card at the interior inns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Amick
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Steel wrote:

And finally, what is on Kinko's head?!

That is a hat known as a tengai that was worn by a particular sect of Zen monks called Fuke who would beg to meet their needs. It signified an absence of ego.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
To me Kinko will always be wearing a paper bag over his head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wine, sunshine by the sea and my first ever game of Tokaido with my spouse. 76 points

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls