Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack S
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all!

I'm interested in picking up Extra! Extra! given its theme, but I do already have a few other worker placement games (Waterdeep + exp,Argent: The Consortium, Kingsburg, Yedo, and Euphoria).

Is this game still worth picking up? Should I go for other games instead? Any thoughts or ideas would be helpful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have quite a few games in my collection, and this game is unlike any other worker placement. There are enough mechanical twists to make it stand on its own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack S
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you elaborate on what twists you find engaging here?

Thanks =D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stickdood wrote:
Could you elaborate on what twists you find engaging here?

Thanks =D

Well the two main aspects that come to mind, are the tile based player boards, and the procedural action resolution. The player boards provide a minigame-like puzzle that must be dealt with, and factored in when deciding which actions are going to be taken and when. And the action resolution, in a very specific looping order and arrangement actually adds a push your luck type feeling to your decisions about where to place.

Don't take my word for it - check out the videos for it on BGG to better explain than I could.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a bidding mechanic that gets people fighting over certain spaces, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bond
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FunkyBlue wrote:
There's a bidding mechanic that gets people fighting over certain spaces, too.

Extra! Extra! is not a worker placement game. It uses a simultaneous auction mechanism together with set collection and a minor Tetris-like puzzle aspect to the placement of stories on your newspaper. Very cut throat if you play it right.

(I'm the designer.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Nicastro
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
before deciding to pick this game up take in account how poor his components are tho

the game is nice and has quite some particularity, deciding how long the game will be when choosing a scenario is something i like a lot (the first two scenarios help learning and teaching the game removing quite some variables, that is a really nice idea as well, for me), the worker placement mechanic has this auction aspect which makes people fighting over specific spots, and the action resolution order is another really particular mechanic.

however, i find it particularly slow with two players cause you turn only two cards each turn.

the biggest problem of this game is the production value tho.
the art is terrible, all the components are really poor, some even wrongly cut (i contacted the publisher for fix of those components and they replied that every copy have them wrong, so no fix, just keep them like they are), the board is confusing and really messy, the meeples are the worst i have ever seen and the list could probably go on for a while.

so my final suggestion is to get the game if you manage to find a good price for it, but it's not worth the ~65$ it is listed at.
i found it in the discount rack at 20€ and, even if i like it, i question myself if it was worth or not, cause for me spending two hours with really poor and ugly stuff in front of me is really difficult, so it doesn't get played as much as it should.

i would love to see a reprint with completely renewed art and high quality components tho (and i'm not talking about minis)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Donnelly
Canada
Unspecified
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Nicastro
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sunray11 wrote:

if it was referred to my reply i just think it is an important aspect to point out.

good component don't make a bad game into a good game, but really bad component make a good game into a game i don't want to play, maybe i'm the only one, but it's worth mentioning.

(and, if it wasn't clear, i really like this game, i rated it 8/10! )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.