Eric Morton
msg tools

In a world where forum posts are read in the voice of a movie-trailer narrator, one entry stands alone in the 2017 Two-Player Print and Play Game Design Contest...

Timescape: Legacy
A competitive time-travel game for two players, aged 12 and up.

In this set-collection legacy game, the battles of rival time-travelers are encoded in an ever-changing game board. The players’ choices unlock past, present, and future eras as new battlefields in their struggle for control of time and space. Lead ancient warriors on an epic quest for gold and glory; build engines of industry to power the future; save humanity from a global pandemic; manage a small farm. Your choices will decide the ultimate fate of the universe and the final market price of grain.

Overview

Timescape: Legacy is a set-collection game in which two players assume the roles of time-traveling agents. These rival agents compete for control of time and space by hacking the Omega Machine, an all-powerful quantum computer with the ability to rewrite history.

The agents move particles called qubits through circuits on the Omega Machine’s motherboard, represented by a game board made of playing cards. As they move their qubits, the agents claim resources which they can use to engineer events throughout history. Events that are not engineered by either agent are gradually erased from time. At the end of each game, the agent who benefits from the most remaining events wins.

A typical game lasts 15 minutes, but the results of multiple games are cumulative. The game components preserve the results of past games indefinitely, so any amount of time can pass between individual games.

Component List:

24 event cards
1 standard deck of playing cards
2 cubes of any one color (or 2 red qubit tokens)
2 cubes of any second color (or 2 blue qubit tokens)

Rules and Components

Prototype rules and components are now available in pdf format:

Here is a link to the latest rules.

Here is a link to the latest components.

Note: The components file does not include a standard deck of playing cards, which must be provided by the players. However, many downloadable decks of standard playing cards are available for free online; they can be found by searching the internet for "printable playing cards."

Contest categories:

Best Date Night Game
Best Casual/Gateway Game
Best Use of Theme
Best New Mechanic
Best New Designer
Best Game

Feedback and commentary welcome.

Thank you for reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Morton
msg tools
Re: [WIP] Tic-Tac-Toe Legacy (2017 2-player PnP) - idea phase
[reserved for designer commentary]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Fuhrman
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
you had me laughing with that opening intro. consider my interest piqued.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is very intriguing to me. Sounds like a mash-up of Scythe and one of the dumbest games ever (tic-tac-toe) - how could it not end up being an awesome game.

Ever since I've read your post, I can't stop thinking of the possibilities for this game. I know it's your game, but I hope you don't mind me chiming in with an idea or two.

If you don't want to be polluted by my idea, don't read it, I'll hide it at the end of this post.

You could really do a lot with this, playing off the Tic Tac Toe part of the game. In fact, I am sort of surprised you didn't submit this to the 9 card contest, with the obvious 9 sector layout of tic tac toe. If you change your mind, there's still time. I think their entry deadline is today, April 1.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
April Fools, I assume?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mb
This is where I would normally welcome you to the contest and add your game to the entry list, but in your case I will hold off for a couple of days... Besides, this game has been mentioned in the forums before so I'm not sure it will qualify as new. I will believe it when I see the pnp components and the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Morton
msg tools
JohnKean wrote:
This is where I would normally welcome you to the contest and add your game to the entry list, but in your case I will hold off for a couple of days... Besides, this game has been mentioned in the forums before so I'm not sure it will qualify as new. I will believe it when I see the pnp components and the rules.
That's certainly fair.

As a BGG newbie, I have no idea if I'm retreading old ground. If nothing else, I'm confident I'm taking an obvious parody theme in a less-than-obvious mechanical direction. I'll leave it to you to decide whether or not the underlying game qualifies as new once you've seen the rules.

(You can expect to see a lightweight, set-collection game with worker-placement elements; cards and cubes as the only game components; and an inverted legacy mechanic strongly tied to a time-travel theme.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Morton
msg tools
Narrow Gate Games wrote:
I am sort of surprised you didn't submit this to the 9 card contest...
Funny you should say that. I started this game as an entry for the 9-card contest, but I kept struggling with the contest rule against mechanics that destroy or mutilate cards. Mechanics that destroy or mutilate cards should be the heart and soul of a print-and-play legacy card game like this one.

Thankfully, the 2-player contest started shortly after I reached that conclusion, so this game can compete in a contest in all of its card-mutilating glory. (Assuming I can convince everyone it's a legitimate contest entry and a mechanically-original game, that is.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Hi Eric. I have added your game to the Idea Phase list and await the rules and components with bated breath...

You must forgive some skepticism about your game, for several reasons:
a) the date of entry is April Fools;
b) the description sounds like a mashup of several popular games;
c) your name is reminiscent of a well known April Fools prankster;
d) the art also has associations with that prankster;
e) the game name has been discussed before on BGG in the context of a potential parody game.

In short, this currently comes across very strongly as a parody. If it is not, then I suggest you change the name and post some details as soon as possible (photos of prototype components, draft rules etc), otherwise your entry may well not be taken seriously.

Cheers,
JK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Morton
msg tools
I have updated the original post to include an overview of game play and a list of game components. Links to downloadable rules and components will be made available once editing, graphic design, and page layout are finished.

In the mean time, I'm hoping the added focus on mechanics makes this project sound less like an April Fools joke and more like the card game, Munchkin: an obvious parody that is also a legitimate, playable game.

(That being said, the art direction and game mechanics of Munchkin never really appealed to me. So, in retrospect, that's a terrible analogy. Forget I mentioned Munchkin. My game's nothing like Munchkin.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Morton
msg tools
Re: [WIP] Timescape: Legacy (called Tic-Tac-Toe Legacy on April Fools Day) (2017 2-player PnP) - idea phase
JohnKean wrote:
I suggest you change the name...
Now that April Fools Day is over, I have no reason to stick to the original name. The game's new working title is Timescape: Legacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Timescape: Legacy (called Tic-Tac-Toe Legacy on April Fools Day) (2017 2-player PnP) - idea phase
That's too bad...I really liked it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
magneheeli wrote:

Me too, Tic-tac-time is an option ... Tic-tac-timescape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
magneheeli wrote:

Me, too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Morton
msg tools
Quadrante wrote:
magneheeli wrote:

Me too, Tic-tac-time is an option ... Tic-tac-timescape.
Sadly, there's already a game called Tic-Tac-Time in the database. (I know, right.) And I'm told the concept of a tic-tac-toe legacy game is an old joke on these forums.

Somehow, Tic-Tac-Time and Tic-Tac-Toe Legacy were both preexisting game titles when I started this thread, yet Timescape was languishing, unused as anything more than the subtitle of a Talisman expansion. No more! I'm officially calling dibs on Timescape (with subtitles appended, as needed) as the main title of a game.

Of course, I may want to compete in other contests once I've finished Timescape: Legacy, and I have yet to see anyone propose a legacy version of rock-paper-scissors...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
not a robot wrote:
.... and I have yet to see anyone propose a legacy version of rock-paper-scissors...

It's right there! Use each hand only once...and clarify this with a machete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Morton
msg tools
A beta edition of Timescape: Legacy is now available in pdf format. I've added links to the game rules and components in the OP. (Note: the game requires a standard deck of playing cards, which is not included in the components file.)

As of this post, the components have minimal graphics and no artwork, but they constitute a fully functional prototype. Anyone interested in playing the world's first legacy filler game is encouraged to give Timescape: Legacy a try.

Will you engineer the Longest Viking Road or the Largest Viking Army? A Steam-Powered Renaissance or a Robber Baron Plutocracy? A Miracle Cure or a Zombie Pandemic? Print and play now to find out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Lund
American Samoa
Ontonagon
Michigan
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks like an awesome game! Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mb
PLAYTESTER SPOT PRIZES

This game is eligible for a playtester spot prize for the next week!

See this post for more details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn van der Lee
Netherlands
Bussum
Noord Holland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hi, I just playtested a round of your game. I'm sorry to say that I didn't like it. Mostly it's the manual, but the gameplay itself wasn't to my taste either. Perhaps it's just for a different type of gamer.

Regardless, I hope you can still use this feedback to improve it.

Score after one game: 1:0 for beginning player.

Components
* Please include a bigger border on the cards for cutting.
* The manual refers to a custom deck especially for this game, but I can't find it anywhere.
Manual
* I like the flavor, especially the use of the card icons, but it doesn't seem to "connect" with the gameplay. For a game about time travel, I'd expect the engineered events to have an effect on gameplay.
* The manual at lenght explains flavor, then states at the very end of each chapter that none of it affects gameplay.
* The chapter on Qubits just reads like a long (and unnecessary) apologee for the included qubits parts, offering them as an absolute last options whereas they are probably the best option simply due to the X and O labels.
Rules
* On setup of the qubits (chapter "Place qubits") do I take the cards or just lock them out from my opponent?
* The whole "Legacy" part of destroying cards seems redundant; it doesn't affect repeat games.
Gameplay
* Why would I move my second qubit if I don't need the resource myself? You can only ever move one qubit, so why not just move the one that has just taken a card, since it locks no resource.
* Why stack the event cards? This doesn't seem to affect gameplay.
* Why would I complete a run whose suit isn't on one of the remaining event cards? Runs by themselves have no value. Also; why keep the runs face up for the remainer of the game?

I hope you can use this to improve your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.