flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
THE JOUST

Designer - Joseph Propati
Art - Joseph Propati

Entry for the 2017 Two-Player Print and Play Game Design Contest

The Joust is a 2-player card game that uses a standard deck of cards along with the two jokers. You will also need pencil and paper or 4d6 [2- white, 1-red and 1-blue] used to track knight advantage and number of lances broken.

The design is component ready since it needs only a deck of cards and I will post the rules later today.

The Joust is played where two knigjts ride horses in a list with armor and lance trying to knock the othet knight off his horse.

A win will be either unhorsing your opponent "which is an automatic win ir breaking three lances.

As you ride down the list you will try to gain an advantage while also trying to center your lance on your opponents shield on impact.

You will use 8 cards to create the initial list. The jokers will represent each knight, and 9 cards [from each player] will represent each players shield.

COMPONENTS:
A regular deck of cards with the two jokers.
pen/paper OR 4d6 to track progress

I would like to place my game in the following categories:
Best Casual/Gateway game
Best Use of Theme
Best Deck and Dice game
Best New Mechanic
Best Game

FILES:
CARDS - Use a regular deck of cards
RULES https://www.dropbox.com/s/f8mlpnix4w1x1lm/THE%20JOUST%20rule...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a link to the rules

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hb3gjltasfxlox2/THE%20JOUST%20rule...

I know I need to clean them up but I'm hoping someone will read these and point me in the right cleanup direction.

If you have any question please ask!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This is the initial setup using blue and red logo cards to make the presentation of the setup easier to see.

The RED player is on the top and the BLUE player is on the bottom.

You can play the game using one regular deck of cards with the two jokers but if you can use 26 cards from a different colored logo deck "The red player uses all the red cards and the blue players uses all the black cards" it will make the visual of the game play much easier to follow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
Hi Joe, welcome to the contest. I was wondering how long it would be till you made an appearance.

I have added the game to Idea Phase and will move it to Components Ready once you post the rules.

Cheers,
JK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnKean wrote:
Hi Joe, welcome to the contest. I was wondering how long it would be till you made an appearance.

I have added the game to Idea Phase and will move it to Components Ready once you post the rules.

Cheers,
JK

Thanks John,

I'm finishing it up now and should have a link posted soon.
I may have to post a video also since I think people are going to have a lot of questions concerning the mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnKean wrote:

Cheers,
JK

I'm still debating on putting my Dice Wars game over here instead of the 9 card.......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Hoddinott
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Love the Jousting Jokers graphic. Smart!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Edwards
England
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi, I'm hoping to blind test this game for you this week. I like jousting as a concept very much, and traditional playing cards suit the theme perfectly. Where would you like feedback?

Cheers,
Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim Edwards wrote:
Hi, I'm hoping to blind test this game for you this week. I like jousting as a concept very much, and traditional playing cards suit the theme perfectly. Where would you like feedback?

Cheers,
Tim

Right here would be great!!

Thanks Tim!

If you like Jousting games I have two more that might be right up your alley! I even added a solo jousting variant to my other Jousting card game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Lund
American Samoa
Ontonagon
Michigan
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck Joe! Kinda freaking out, still working on my game.. surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hicitup wrote:

Thanks

Which game are you working on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Lund
American Samoa
Ontonagon
Michigan
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kingspud wrote:
Hicitup wrote:

Thanks

Which game are you working on?

It's like a Old fashion dueling game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Edwards
England
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi Joseph,

I came a bit unstuck trying to work out exactly what happens during the shield phase. My main confusion is just getting my head around which shield is which. I think some of the wording in the rules might not be quite as you intend, but I'm not sure. For example, at one point I think you say something like "your lance on your shield", but perhaps that should be "your opponent's shield"? I'm having trouble second guessing that because although I can intuitively assume that the shield on red's end of the list is probably red's shield, it's made of blue's cards so I'm not fully confident in my assumption.

I'm afraid I've also lost my wife/ play-tester for 3 weeks, so I won't be able to do a proper play test for a while. I will be happy to do what I can in a solo capacity though.

Sorry I haven't been able to give more juicy feedback yet!

Cheers,
Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
PLAYTESTER SPOT PRIZES

This game is eligible for a playtester spot prize for the next week!

See this post for more details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tim,

Thanks for play my game!

I understand how it can be confusing because it seems weird while playing but if you put yourself in the knight’s shoes it will make more sense. With the setup as is, pretend you are staring across from your opponent who is a knight with shield and you are looking down the list “the row of cards”. Now that shield he is holding is that same shield you see right in front of you on the table to the right. You are trying to aim your lance at his shield and all the while your lance tip is moving around the shield face with you trying to hit the center upon contact. So the shield directly in front of you on the table is actually the opponents shield and as you flip over cards you are trying to gain the advantage and work your way closer and closer to the center so you can hit the "sweet spot" and earn an unhorsing. As long as you are within the perimeter of the shield when you make contact, you will earn a broken lance and a point. If you are outside the perimeter of the shield upon contact, you miss the shield and don’t earn a point.

I’ve done a major update to the rules that should hopefully make things more clear. Take a look and let me know if you have any more questions.

Here is a link to the rules

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f8mlpnix4w1x1lm/THE%20JOUST%20rule...

Thanks again for the comments

Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Edwards
England
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi Joe,

Thanks very much for that. Your explanation makes perfect sense and it's what I imagined it probably would be. I'll get the new rules and have another crack at it shortly.

Cheers,
Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Koenig
Taiwan
Dan Shui
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I might recommend putting the rules in the initial post. Right now it says "rules, coming soon"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Koenig
Taiwan
Dan Shui
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK so I looked over the rules. I have a few comments about the rules, and once some of those issues are fixed, I would like to try the game out. Here are my thoughts.

----

- I would put an Overview of the game, and "how to win," at the VERY beginning of the rules.
- Make it clear that you don't add the Joker into your deck when you 1st talk about the joker. At first I thought I had to shuffle it, but then later it said that that was not the case.

- In the "Game Overview" section, I would split the List phase and the Shield Phase a little better. Explain briefly what they both do, and then move into the Shield Phase. The problem right now, it that one paragraph is hard to wrap my head around.

- Page 5. #4. Typo with the word SHIELD.

- #5. This is the first time I got very confused. I am not quite sure what this is supposed to look like. I would HIGHLY recommend having a 1,2,3 bullet system of whether whole Shield Phase. Then, explain each of the numbers in detail. As it stands now, this part is what is holding me back from trying out the game, and I feel that this is probably more confusing that it needs to be.

- Page6. #10. "...to PLAY..."

----

As I stated earlier, I think the part that needs the most re-wording is the SHIELD part. I do however, like the theme, and I think that this could be an interesting game. PM me when you have a new version of the rules. I would be happy to look them over.

God Bless,
Wayne
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Edwards
England
flag msg tools
mbmb
One suggestion for a minor cosmetic detail which I think will make the shield phase much clearer:

I recommend having blue and red lay out their shields on their OWN ends of the list. It feels much more intuitive to me that I see my opponent's shield in front of me, and my own shield beside me rather than the other way around.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
I am disappointed to arrive at this site and find that it has no flying ostriches anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:
I am disappointed to arrive at this site and find that it has no flying ostriches anywhere.

Here you go:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim Edwards wrote:
One suggestion for a minor cosmetic detail which I think will make the shield phase much clearer:

I recommend having blue and red lay out their shields on their OWN ends of the list. It feels much more intuitive to me that I see my opponent's shield in front of me, and my own shield beside me rather than the other way around.

Cheers!

That's workable! Let me test this layout
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orwe11 wrote:
OK so I looked over the rules. I have a few comments about the rules, and once some of those issues are fixed, I would like to try the game out. Here are my thoughts.

----

- I would put an Overview of the game, and "how to win," at the VERY beginning of the rules.
- Make it clear that you don't add the Joker into your deck when you 1st talk about the joker. At first I thought I had to shuffle it, but then later it said that that was not the case.

- In the "Game Overview" section, I would split the List phase and the Shield Phase a little better. Explain briefly what they both do, and then move into the Shield Phase. The problem right now, it that one paragraph is hard to wrap my head around.

- Page 5. #4. Typo with the word SHIELD.

- #5. This is the first time I got very confused. I am not quite sure what this is supposed to look like. I would HIGHLY recommend having a 1,2,3 bullet system of whether whole Shield Phase. Then, explain each of the numbers in detail. As it stands now, this part is what is holding me back from trying out the game, and I feel that this is probably more confusing that it needs to be.

- Page6. #10. "...to PLAY..."

----

As I stated earlier, I think the part that needs the most re-wording is the SHIELD part. I do however, like the theme, and I think that this could be an interesting game. PM me when you have a new version of the rules. I would be happy to look them over.

God Bless,
Wayne

thanks for this!!1 I'm working on an update to the rules now!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn van der Lee
Netherlands
Bussum
Noord Holland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Just tried to playtest your game.
I didn't get that far though, as I had too many issues trying to figure out the rules. I don't know if the game itself is actually all that difficult, but there were just too many unknowns for me.

* The layout of the setup is confusing; the opponents' shield is on my side?
* The layout requires quite a lot of space. Perhaps some other layout would be more space-efficient. I ended up rotating some of the cards just to get them all on the table.
* Game setup tells me to take the cards of one color, a joker, then shuffle the cards. Apparently the joker is NOT supposed to be shuffled with the rest of the cards, but this is only made clear several steps down.
* There's a lot of quotes (") where comma's (,) would have been appropriate. This punctuation makes the manual hard to read.
* At several points the manual states that cards are to be played from hand, but it rarely ever makes clear where on the table the played cards are supposed to go. i.e. the advantage cards, the hinder/help cards on the shield.
* Rules question; is an Ace greater than a King or lower than a 2?
* Red palyer get advantage on equal list phase always. Why not assign a start player for this, you already need a start player for the shield phase anyway.

That's as far as I got before giving up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tynes wrote:
Just tried to playtest your game.
I didn't get that far though, as I had too many issues trying to figure out the rules. I don't know if the game itself is actually all that difficult, but there were just too many unknowns for me.

* The layout of the setup is confusing; the opponents' shield is on my side?
* The layout requires quite a lot of space. Perhaps some other layout would be more space-efficient. I ended up rotating some of the cards just to get them all on the table.
* Game setup tells me to take the cards of one color, a joker, then shuffle the cards. Apparently the joker is NOT supposed to be shuffled with the rest of the cards, but this is only made clear several steps down.
* There's a lot of quotes (") where comma's (,) would have been appropriate. This punctuation makes the manual hard to read.
* At several points the manual states that cards are to be played from hand, but it rarely ever makes clear where on the table the played cards are supposed to go. i.e. the advantage cards, the hinder/help cards on the shield.
* Rules question; is an Ace greater than a King or lower than a 2?
* Red palyer get advantage on equal list phase always. Why not assign a start player for this, you already need a start player for the shield phase anyway.

That's as far as I got before giving up.

Thanks for trying to play. I'll be back in town tonight and will get you all the answers tomorrow.
Jere is at least the shield question: the reason the opponents shield is in front of you is because you are looking directly at it as you move dien the list and are trying to center your lance on it as you get closer. If it was in front of the opponent it would be strange running through the same actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.