Subject: The 'worst' things about Solitaire gaming rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is meant as a light hearted topic! I know we talk a lot about how great our hobby is, but I was thinking about some of the negative aspects of solitaire boardgaming - these are very much 'first world problems' type negatives

thumbsdownthumbsdown I buy games to play solo and with my wife, but in playing them solo I get so good at them my wife doesn't want to play!

thumbsdown I get to play games so often, I can burn out on a game quickly and need to buy another

thumbsdown There is no one to gloat to when you win, or discuss how amazing that last move was

Please add your own
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boo da
msg tools
That look people give you when you tell them you played a game solo and the response of "You played it by yourself?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Andrews
Wales
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For me the biggest downside is analysis paralysis. Because there's no timer of another playing I tend to take far too long drawing the game out over several days usually. Sometimes I even lose interest in the game as it's been too long since I started. I've taken to using timers in my games and have been enjoying the added against the clock element
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Festian wrote:
That look people give you when you tell them you played a game solo and the response of "You played it by yourself?"

A friend of my wife visits and stays with us every few months, and this is her stock bloody phrase. "I don't understand how you could do that..."

Annoyingly, she actually likes board games, and always wants to play something with us (which is good)...

Of all the stuff on the shelves, which one does she keep asking me to teach her? Mage Knight.

Yeah. No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Boulter
United Kingdom
Bristol
UK
flag msg tools
badge
knowledge is power
mbmbmbmbmb

You spend an age setting up the game and/or your miss some subtle but REALLY important rule.

And there is no one there to either share the sadness/or blame
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup An intelligent, challenging, witty and, though he'd be the last to admit it, unerringly modest opponent

thumbsdown Being trapped in a room with a raging egomaniac for company - and one I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsdownthumbsdown Not being able to share the experience directly. Typing it up for others takes longer and isn't quite the same as being in it together when the spaceship blows up or you manage to save the last person from the burning building at the last minute.

thumbsdown You have to reach for all the components yourself and can't ask the person at the other end of the table to pass you that stack of cards. (My arms aren't all that long. I get up a lot for the bigger table space hoggers...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsdown No one to nudge me when I nod off to sleep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave van Zundert
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Always be the one to figure out how a game works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marble911 wrote:
thumbsdown You have to reach for all the components yourself and can't ask the person at the other end of the table to pass you that stack of cards. (My arms aren't all that long. I get up a lot for the bigger table space hoggers...)

That's a good one.. It took me three games of Scythe to realise I didn't HAVE to put the combat cards on the back breakingly far top corner laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike De Groote
Belgium
Heist-op-den-berg
antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
try using vertical storage for those big hoggers of space.
I use this

For those who do not know what it is : nail polish rack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sheppard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't really think of any negatives tbh
Indeed judging by the comments, what is considered a negative is a positive for me!

My main problem is lack of energy due to health issues. The thought of set up puts me off a lot, and lack of space, not having anywhere to set up atm

Knowing I won't get much game time from any new shiny game means I am more able to resist spending hundreds of pounds sterling wot I don't got on all the latest KS, so I don't have problems with peer pressure from you lot

Taking time over turns is actually a positive for me. Not having to feel pressured about time and can walk away for as long as I need until my concentration returns if I need a rest.
Would feel horrid if I was playing with friends and had to keep stopping or quit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gribbon wrote:
marble911 wrote:

That's a good one.. It took me three games of Scythe to realise I didn't HAVE to put the combat cards on the back breakingly far top corner laugh

It's cruel when boards have dedicated areas for certain cards not on but around the board, on all sides, like The Captain Is Dead. I find it much harder to go with my own, easier-to-reach set-up when there are spaces where things should go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ofiesh
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gribbon wrote:
marble911 wrote:

thumbsdown I'm becoming so accustomed to setting up the table for my convenience (reach and numbers) that I forget how to set it up for a group, as well as regular rules - like taking turns. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me Mister...
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsdown Can't use the age old "Sorry I can't help pack things away but I've just remembered I have to pick someone up..." excuse

thumbsdown Impossible to blame noxious odours on someone else

thumbsdown No-one else makes the bloody tea

sobluelaugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsdown Knowing that most of these games are more fun being played multiplayer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United Kingdom
Bishops Stortford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Avoiding innuendo.

"How was your weekend?"

"Yeah, it was good actually. I played with myse... I solo'd a game I got recently"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
benosteen wrote:
Avoiding innuendo.

"How was your weekend?"

"Yeah, it was good actually. I played with myse... I solo'd a game I got recently"

Knowing that you spend so much time soloing, they actually said 'weak end'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Herne
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsdown not being able to share the passion and excitment
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hebart-Coleman
Ivory Coast
Abidjan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The way my wife comments "Losing to yourself again?!" when Im muttering darkly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
The trash talk that happens when I play is a little offputting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel W
Germany
Minfeld
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The worst thing about solo-gaming:

thumbsdown I do not have to explain, why i bought the game. If i want a game, thats solo playable, i'll buy it. I don't have to ask myself... will it fit the gamegroup, or will my wife like it/the theme....

That's the expensive part
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stéphane Martineau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gribbon wrote:

thumbsdownthumbsdown I buy games to play solo and with my wife, but in playing them solo I get so good at them my wife doesn't want to play!

Funny! I was having the same discussion with fellow soloist friend last week and my point was that some games become less enjoyable to play with other when you played that game a lot solo. With competitive game your chances to win are higher and with coop game you can easily become a alpha gamer even though you don't want to because you are more familiar with the character abilities and the different strategies. I'm thinking of games like Mistfall, Sentinels of the Multiverse, or even flashpoint where i'm playing solo at higher level of difficulty and lower with my friends who are casual gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The worst thing about Solitaire gaming is you're playing by yourself instead of with a group of friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Coins
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
martis08 wrote:
Gribbon wrote:

Funny! I was having the same discussion with fellow soloist friend last week and my point was that some games become less enjoyable to play with other when you played that game a lot solo. With competitive game your chances to win are higher and with coop game you can easily become a alpha gamer even though you don't want to because you are more familiar with the character abilities and the different strategies. I'm thinking of games like Mistfall, Sentinels of the Multiverse, or even flashpoint where i'm playing solo at higher level of difficulty and lower with my friends who are casual gamers.

This is my biggest "problem" with solo gaming. Converting to multi-player when that does happen. Though I also struggle with the fact that I can't just take all the time in the world, and have to wait on others then. I get so habituated to gaming solo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.