Bussum
Noord Holland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
66d6

Players: 2
Game Time: ~30-60 minutes
Ages: 12+ (possibly higher depending on your local laws due to content)

Current phase: Contest ready

Overview
66d6 is a two-player tactical game with simple rules and lots of dice. Easy to learn, hard to master.
The players both have 33 dice, which act as an army of minions in a battle to take all enemy forces.
Dice rolls determine composition of your army. How you use your army is up to the player. There are no bad rolls; merely changing tactics.

Components
- 1 manual
- 1 playfield (A4/letter or A3/tabloid, full-color or low-ink)
- 66 six-sided dice (or a single dice and minion chips for a realistic feeling of being in hell. Use dice.)

Categories
I'd like to enter this game for the following categories.
Included are the reason(s) why I think my game qualifies for the category.
- Best heavy game
It's heavy, no doubt about that. It may even be a bit too heavy. If your dice are made of lead, it's heavier still.
- Best game
Obviously devil
- Best new designer
Dependant upon the game's standing in either of the above categories.
- Best use of theme
Theme reflects the gameplay and the theme (over-the-top demonic) is used consistantly throughout all components, including the language used in the manual.
- Best art/graphic design
It looks gloomy and dark as the theme demands and of good production quality. Manual is also styled according to theme. Also; I only used public domain images.
- Best Game with Language Independent Components
The board component include language as a helper, but can easily be ignored if the rules are known; they don't have a role in the actual gameplay. None of the 66 standard D6 dice contains any words either.
- Best new mechanic
The most important mechanical innovation is the battle resolution mechanism. I personally don't know any game that requires adding opponents' dice in order to determine the outcome. Use of rolled D6 as unchanging (while in active use) army components may also be new (I certainly don't know any games that do).

Download/components
(You can find all these on the website accompanying this game: http://66d6.toyls.com.
Manual
- A4 (Everywhere except US)
- Letter (US)
Gameboard
A4 (Everywhere except US)
- Dark Board, A4
- Light Board, A4
- Dark Board, A3, Page 1
- Dark Board, A3, Page 2
- Light Board, A3, Page 1
- Light Board, A3, Page 2
Letter (US)
- Dark Board, Letter
- Light Board, Letter
- Dark Board, Tabloid, Page 1
- Dark Board, Tabloid, Page 2
- Light Board, Tabloid, Page 1
- Light Board, Tabloid, Page 2
Minions (Only needed if you don't have 66 dice)
A4 (Everywhere except US)
- Dark, 11mm Minions, A4
- Light, 11mm Minions, A4
- Dark, 18mm Minions, A4
- Light, 18mm Minions, A4
- Dark, 22mm Minions, A4
- Light, 22mm Minions, A4
Letter (US)
- Dark, 11mm Minions, Letter
- Light, 11mm Minions, Letter
- Dark, 18mm Minions, Letter
- Light, 18mm Minions, Letter
- Dark, 22mm Minions, Letter
- Light, 22mm Minions, Letter

Links
2017 TWO-PLAYER PRINT AND PLAY GAME DESIGN CONTEST
Official site
Tabletop Simulator module

Designer
Martijn van der Lee

Artist
Martijn van der Lee
Public domain and CC0-licensed photos and illustrations from various sources.

Feedback
Please provide feedback to help improve my game. You can use the following anonymous polls, sent me a message or post a comment.
Poll
What are your consideration(s) for play(test)ing this game?
I'm going to play it.
Missing some of the non-printable components
Printable components require too much effort
Don't understand the rules/manual
Don't like the theme/flavor
Don't like this type of game in general
Other reason (I'd appreciate it if you could leave a comment)
      7 answers
Poll created by Tynes

Poll: After having played the game:
If you have any additional feedback or suggestions, please let me know in a private message or in the comments.
What do you think of this game?
  1 (terrible) 2 (bad) 3 (average) 4 (good) 5 (perfect)
Overall impression
Explanation of rules
Fairness (balance)
Duration
Theme/flavor
Component requirements
Printable components
Component quality
Manual quality
      1 answer
Poll created by Tynes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn van der Lee
Netherlands
Bussum
Noord Holland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Detailed status
* Basic playable board with working rules.
* Needs more playtesting to settle on publically testable board.
* Need to work out the edge-cases in the rules.
* Rules need to be written in user-friendly form with flavor.
* Having a hard time finding artwork with suitable copyright licenses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dice?
Combat?
Armies?
CARNAGE?

Ok, the last one has not been confirmed, yet, but you've made me curious ...

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Hi Martijn, welcome to the contest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sindre Finnøy
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Like I did on another dice heavy game I would like to recommend the app DnDice for people who don't have a lot of dice.
And if the game requires placing the dice somewhere, you could make some printable pieces for placing.

Great name BTW devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn van der Lee
Netherlands
Bussum
Noord Holland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hi all,

It's been a busy week, shuffling the rules, playtesting and making a gameboard for initial testing available.

Please take a look at the "downloads/components" section for downloadable versions of the game board. Currently it's A4 size, suitable for 8mm and 10mm dice. It can probably be printed at other (larger) size to suit other paper and dice sizes. When the board is more complete, I'll render versions for Letter-size paper and greater resolution for larger prints.

On the gameplay side, I'm quite happy with the mechanics of the game; they're relatively easy to learn but offer good complexity. But there is still plenty of tweaking to be done. The end-game doesn't feel quite right; it can result in stale situations. There is balancing to be done (mostly in the battle resolution numbers) that can only be learned through playtesting. The special actions for each side may be a bit too unbalanced; I'm currently undecided on that one.

@schattentanz; there will be carnage. Oh boy, will there be carnage. Carnage there shall be in abundance!

@Sindrelf; I'm going to take your advice and include printable sheets of "dice faces" to use as replacement for dice. Due to the mechanics of the game, there will have to be a LOT of these, but it's certainly doable. I'll have to make sure they are easy to cut out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sindre Finnøy
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Tynes wrote:
@Sindrelf; I'm going to take your advice and include printable sheets of "dice faces" to use as replacement for dice. Due to the mechanics of the game, there will have to be a LOT of these, but it's certainly doable. I'll have to make sure they are easy to cut out.

Awesome! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn van der Lee
Netherlands
Bussum
Noord Holland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Chips/chits/dice-replacement-markers... I really don't know what to call them, but they're available for download and printing in lots of flavours.

I purposefully given them all a slight rotation, hopefully to make cutting them out easier; no need to be slow and precise if the result is going to be slanted anyway

Please let me know if you need different dice or paper sizes. I generate all components automagically, so it's no problem to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sindre Finnøy
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Looks great.

Just a little nitpick about the logo.
Its a bit hard to see the second 6 as the background is very black behind it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn van der Lee
Netherlands
Bussum
Noord Holland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I'm assuming you mean the logo picture at the top of this forum thread?
That was just a quick hack to have something to show thematically from the start.
It's going to be replaced by an "official" one that's also on the site and will be on the components.
In fact, I'll replace it right now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sindre Finnøy
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Ooooh, lovely angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn van der Lee
Netherlands
Bussum
Noord Holland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Large weekend update:
- Updated all the graphics for the board and minion chips.
- Manual as downloadable PDF.
- Full components for A4 and US Letter paper size.
- Completed the manual (still needs to be spellchecked, proofread and improved in general, but at least everything is in it).
All of it can be improved ad infinitum, but these can serve as "final" versions if needs must.

For now, my focus shifts back to playtesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bogumił Koszałka
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmb
I once bought a package of 144 small (8 mm) dices K6 (for like 3$).
They will be finally useful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn van der Lee
Netherlands
Bussum
Noord Holland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
You could play two boards at once!

Those are pretty much the same type of dice I use for playtesting on the A4 board. Bigger board & dice are easier to play with, but that will work fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn van der Lee
Netherlands
Bussum
Noord Holland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Incorporated some initial playtest feedback into the game:
- Removed the assault action completely. It tended to incourage "dice swapping" behaviour at the expense of tactices.
- Allow the winner of a battle to opt-out of the Victory and/or Evade events, falling back to a "lesser" choice. Turns out that being victorious in battle may leave you very vulnerable to attacks. And again; it encouraged "dice swapping".
- Rebalanced the lower tier of attack scores; it made defense building too weak in comparison. Now the win/loss ratios are identical again, which in itself is nice, as it makes the game easier.
- Improved the manual by adding some clarifications to multiple actions per minion after battles; it's allowed.

Boards, manual and site have been updated accordingly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Without having played your game (yet), a question:

Tynes wrote:
Allow the winner of a battle to opt-out of the Victory and/or Evade events, falling back to a "lesser" choice. Turns out that being victorious in battle may leave you very vulnerable to attacks. And again; it encouraged "dice swapping".

So, a battle can leave you vulnerable, which is not really surprising per se: after all, you fought against an opponent en par to you.
The question is: does your game allow strategies compensating that vulnerability?
Such as drawing in reinforcements or plan your movement more wisely?

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn van der Lee
Netherlands
Bussum
Noord Holland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
@Kai; The entire gameplay is essentially about planning ahead.

The specific rule change you quoted is meant to compensate for the vulnerability. Victory means your enemy minion becomes yours and you get to stay where you were, possibly attacking again. The problem was that if that attack was your last move; you would become an easy target for the enemy.

Each player gets 6 actions in turn; essentially move and attack, with low dice for defence and high dice for attack. You can spend all those actions on rushing in and attacking or you could move defense and attack forces simultaneously and keep going longer. Basic strategic concepts such as flanking and supply lines apply.

In practice, you'll probably start your first rounds rushing in. This mechanic takes a while to sink in; the balance is precarious, there is usually a lot of sacrifice involved and strategy takes a while (lots of turns) to pay off. This game can be somewhat slow to start. Currently, my focus is mostly on trying to balance the attack action resolution to promote the use of strategy. My general feel is that every action can have opposite consequences when done in the wrong context. In that regard I may well (partially) revert the Victory and Evade (which are attack resolution outcomes) opt-out; the ability to opt-out may make a 6 denomination too strong. Perhaps Victory should only be able to opt-out to Evade, so the victor can't move to complete safety without having planned his retreat in advance. (sorry, thinking out loud here).

Atleast that's what I want the game to feel like It has the potential to be a lot deeper than it first looks, but balancing this one is delicate business; I just hope I get it right before the deadline!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tynes wrote:
Easy to learn, hard to master.

shake

I think we can drop this sentence now. It bears no meaning anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn van der Lee
Netherlands
Bussum
Noord Holland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
@Razoupaf: Got to lure 'em in with the marketing speak! whistle

In all seriousness, I meant that the rules were simple to learn, not the learning how to actually win devil.

I still think it's easy to learn; the rules are straightforward and deterministic with a single rule applying to each situation, so no conflicting rules and no dead-ends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn van der Lee
Netherlands
Bussum
Noord Holland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Did some more playtesting, and more rulechanges coming.
Mostly to speed up the game and to balance some more.
Still thinking about exactly what it the best way to achieve the effects I want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn van der Lee
Netherlands
Bussum
Noord Holland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
New changes to the rules after a long playtesting session:
- Make `Victory` opt-out only to `Evade`. The opt-out to `Revive` made these attacks too powerful.
- Renamed `Defeat` to `Retreat`. Due to change in `Defeat` occurance, making the name mismatch the "story" of the game.
- Two steps of `Revive`, rest is `Defeat`. Attacking light defenses with a high dice was too easy a choice; it had no cost for the attacker. With this change, the attacker will lose his high minion on such attacks.
- `Slaughter` becomes insta-kill and reroll home. The old rule (+1 ATK) didn't have a high enough reward/punish balance for low dice. New rule means death to the defender always, reroll attacker always, otherwise like normal attack (so less complicated too, which is a nice bonus).

New boards and manuals are downloadable. The boards now also have correct DPI set in the file, making them easier to print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn van der Lee
Netherlands
Bussum
Noord Holland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Just a photo of a game on a "Light" style A4 gameboard with 10mm dice.

The bowl contains the dead minions devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn van der Lee
Netherlands
Bussum
Noord Holland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Minor update for the manual and accompanying website; some game icons added for nr. of players, time and age, etc. No part of the content is changed.

As I have these in high-res (1024x1024) Photoshop PSD format, I'll post them as CC0-licensed (effectively public domain) on the forum.

Posted in this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn van der Lee
Netherlands
Bussum
Noord Holland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Fixed some typos in the manuals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mb
PLAYTESTER SPOT PRIZES

This game is eligible for a playtester spot prize for the next week!

See this post for more details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.