Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: [WIP] 66d6 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ricardo Gonçalves
Portugal
flag msg tools
I found this game by chance while looking for PnP games and I have to say, I've been having a good time with it. I've introduced it to my gaming group and reception has been positive and I'm also looking forward to a larger game meet where more people might play the game.

Anyway, onto the comments.

Tynes wrote:
liq3 wrote:
Also, rule clarification: the rules strongly imply that if the defender has a dice equal to the attacker he must use that one. It's a contradicts some other rule statements though. Specifically, where it says "The minion chosen must be greater or equal if available in the field." and then says "If you have a 3 and 5 and are attacked with a 3, you must defend with the 3." The second statement seems to contradict the first.
Looking at the rules again, they are indeed ambiguous. The example is wrong and should have been "If you have a 3 and 5 and are attacked with a 5, you must defend with the 5.". I don't quite know how this slipped through, but it did. I'll change the downloads accordingly.

Besides this, I think there might be something missing from the rules, In the attacking/defending table, on the defender's side, there doesn't seem to be an entry for 11. Based on the board's instructions and the "symmetry" of the game, I assume an 11 result for the defender results in a "Defect", but I would like a confirmation.

Some comments about the game:

- The A3 board is just big enough for 18 mm dice, so I ended up making an A2 board that came out quite nicely.
- It's really hard to play(test) alone, mostly because being just one guy you tend to only thing in one way throughout the game.
- I've never seen the need to use the special action of either side. Not to say that they aren't useful, but as of now I'm only seeing the special actions as a way to rebalance the Devil's home (if there are excesses of ones and sixes) and from the way the game has been played, it doesn't happen often enough.
- It's really exciting to strategise, but also very tricky, because of two main factors: the position on the board both dictates yours and your opponent's effort and it isn't easy to make a lasting strategy, so you have to play based on the circumstances available.

I have a lot of good things to say about the game, but I haven't played it much yet. Hopefully, that'll change in the upcoming weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn van der Lee
Netherlands
Bussum
Noord Holland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSpiffyClean wrote:
I found this game by chance while looking for PnP games and I have to say, I've been having a good time with it. I've introduced it to my gaming group and reception has been positive and I'm also looking forward to a larger game meet where more people might play the game.
Glad you liked the game!

MrSpiffyClean wrote:
Besides this, I think there might be something missing from the rules, In the attacking/defending table, on the defender's side, there doesn't seem to be an entry for 11. Based on the board's instructions and the "symmetry" of the game, I assume an 11 result for the defender results in a "Defect", but I would like a confirmation.
You are correct regarding the 11. The guide on the edge of the board also listed this already, but the manual and site didn't. I've updated both to include 11 in the table.

MrSpiffyClean wrote:
The A3 board is just big enough for 18 mm dice, so I ended up making an A2 board that came out quite nicely.
Curious to see how the A2 board looks. Did you use the 2 A3 files or the A4 file? I would love to see a picture of it!

MrSpiffyClean wrote:
It's really hard to play(test) alone, mostly because being just one guy you tend to only thing in one way throughout the game.
Indeed it was. Knowing the tactics of the other player kinda spoils the challenge of it. I didn't find any way to do solo rules either.

MrSpiffyClean wrote:
I've never seen the need to use the special action of either side. Not to say that they aren't useful, but as of now I'm only seeing the special actions as a way to rebalance the Devil's home (if there are excesses of ones and sixes) and from the way the game has been played, it doesn't happen often enough.
Honestly, the special actions are mostly there to unbalance the game a bit. They mostly are handy in the end game but you'll typically use them just a few times at most.

MrSpiffyClean wrote:
It's really exciting to strategise, but also very tricky, because of two main factors: the position on the board both dictates yours and your opponent's effort and it isn't easy to make a lasting strategy, so you have to play based on the circumstances available.
I must admit that strategy and tactics such as 66d6 requires isn't my strong point, but in my experience planning ahead as far as you can pays of most. A lot of typical wargame tactics seem to apply as well. Misdirection also works if you're willing to sacrifice some minions.

MrSpiffyClean wrote:
I have a lot of good things to say about the game, but I haven't played it much yet. Hopefully, that'll change in the upcoming weeks.
I hope you'll have fun with it. If you do, I'd appreciate it if you could rate the game in the BGG database (66D6), own it, add photo's, etc. Not only will this help my game, but it'll help PNP games in general by making them more visible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Gonçalves
Portugal
flag msg tools
Tynes wrote:
MrSpiffyClean wrote:
The A3 board is just big enough for 18 mm dice, so I ended up making an A2 board that came out quite nicely.
Curious to see how the A2 board looks. Did you use the 2 A3 files or the A4 file? I would love to see a picture of it!

I wasn't thinking a lot about it at the time, so I ended up cropping the A4 into 4 parts using XnView, transformed them into a .pdf file, so that Adobe Reader could print them. I printed them on 180g paper with bleed on such that there were no margins and I could achieve a seamless join between pages. I made the joins with a bit of masking tape I have, and it does the job well.

(for size comparison, a 50 cent coin and 3 blank 18x18 mm dice)

In retrospect, I made the right decision. Although I didn't remember when I made it, the A3 pages have a "matching side" pattern on the sides, that I've assumed to be gluing points. However, my first board (the full color A3) ended up warping at the join due to both the glue having spread to the sides and also because I forgot to add a bit of slack to the joins.

As it is really easy to take lots of pictures, I was thinking about the best way to post them in a coherent structure. I'll most likely make a blog (post) later on describing what I've done, because besides the board, I made a neat box to hold the dice, that I've also made myself.

Tynes wrote:
MrSpiffyClean wrote:
It's really exciting to strategise, but also very tricky, because of two main factors: the position on the board both dictates yours and your opponent's effort and it isn't easy to make a lasting strategy, so you have to play based on the circumstances available.
I must admit that strategy and tactics such as 66d6 requires isn't my strong point, but in my experience planning ahead as far as you can pays of most. A lot of typical wargame tactics seem to apply as well. Misdirection also works if you're willing to sacrifice some minions.

That's where the fun of the game lies at, I believe: to see that a long strategy ends up being worthwhile.

Tynes wrote:
MrSpiffyClean wrote:
I hope you'll have fun with it. If you do, I'd appreciate it if you could rate the game in the BGG database (66D6), own it, add photo's, etc. Not only will this help my game, but it'll help PNP games in general by making them more visible.

Would an actual review (plus the rating) help? From what I've read, it would depend on a higher-up's approval, but a review could give a more in-depth view on the game. I'd have no problem in doing both,although I'd only do it in the following weeks, as I'd want a bigger range of experiences before I make my opinion.

As for the rest, I'm still trying to grasp the functions of the site. For the time being, I've just used it to log played games, despite having registered a couple of months ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn van der Lee
Netherlands
Bussum
Noord Holland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSpiffyClean wrote:
Looking good!

MrSpiffyClean wrote:
the A3 pages have a "matching side" pattern on the sides, that I've assumed to be gluing points
The A3 board was really intended to be both used as two separate parts.
If you're interrested, I can probably create a board at a higher resolution for A2 sized printing and upload it somewhere; they were a bit too big to put on my own site.

MrSpiffyClean wrote:
As it is really easy to take lots of pictures, I was thinking about the best way to post them in a coherent structure
By all means, please share your other pictures. I'd love to see the box too! If you would like to have some of the game art for your box, I'd be happy to share it.

MrSpiffyClean wrote:
That's where the fun of the game lies at, I believe: to see that a long strategy ends up being worthwhile.
It is quite rewarding, though I must admit that it's quite hard to manage it. I pretty much lost consistently while playtesting.

MrSpiffyClean wrote:
Would an actual review (plus the rating) help?
As long as they're positive I quite enjoy any kind of feedback on my games, including negative.

MrSpiffyClean wrote:
From what I've read, it would depend on a higher-up's approval, but a review could give a more in-depth view on the game.
In my experience the approval is mostly to stop trolls, blatant advertising and other nastiness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Gonçalves
Portugal
flag msg tools
Tynes wrote:
MrSpiffyClean wrote:
the A3 pages have a "matching side" pattern on the sides, that I've assumed to be gluing points
The A3 board was really intended to be both used as two separate parts.
If you're interrested, I can probably create a board at a higher resolution for A2 sized printing and upload it somewhere; they were a bit too big to put on my own site.

There's no problem with me passing the A4 to A2, even when printing. Doing a back-of-the-envelope calculation with the file's dimensions gave me a PPI of about 150 which is more than enough for relatively good printing. Also, I doubt most people will have dice as big as mine.

Tynes wrote:
MrSpiffyClean wrote:
As it is really easy to take lots of pictures, I was thinking about the best way to post them in a coherent structure
By all means, please share your other pictures. I'd love to see the box too! If you would like to have some of the game art for your box, I'd be happy to share it.

So, I've finally managed to write an actual build log regarding all the work I put into the project. As I didn't want to flood this with my own pictures, I ended up making a blog post detailing most of what I've done. You can see all of it here: 66D6 - A Build Log. Hope everyone enjoys reading it as much as I did writing.

Tynes wrote:
MrSpiffyClean wrote:
Would an actual review (plus the rating) help?
As long as they're positive I quite enjoy any kind of feedback on my games, including negative.

After finishing a couple of games and also presenting the game to some others, a review is in the works. No ETA on that though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn van der Lee
Netherlands
Bussum
Noord Holland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSpiffyClean wrote:
Also, I doubt most people will have dice as big as mine.
That's probably true I saw your build blog; those dice look really good! I tried doing my own wooden dice a while back, but those things are really hard to get balanced! The box looked good too. Nice idea to fit it in such a way as to make "counting" the dice easy.

MrSpiffyClean wrote:
After finishing a couple of games and also presenting the game to some others, a review is in the works. No ETA on that though.
Looking forward to hear how people enjoyed (or hated) the game.

p.s. If you enjoy making PNP games, perhaps this is of interrest to you: Official 2017 PnP Secret Santa Forum Announcement. I'm not joining in on it myself (too busy thinking of game ideas), but apparently there's a lot of quality builders there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  |