Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Kansiewicz
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This question goes back 30 years to an old school The Avalon Hill Game Co game, TV Wars. Is anyone out there able to compare the gameplay of these two titles? Similar? Different? Not even in the same league?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary H
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
harlaquinne wrote:
This question goes back 30 years to an old school The Avalon Hill Game Co game, TV Wars. Is anyone out there able to compare the gameplay of these two titles? Similar? Different? Not even in the same league?

Can't compare all that much. I *just* got an in shrink copy of TV Wars so I read a bit on it. It had auctions, whereas Networks does not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Kansiewicz
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an open copy of TV Wars that I am eager to get to to play, but I haven't played The Networks, from looking at them and after watching a video review by
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that although they have some differences, they look similar, I was just curious as to whether anyone out there had played them both and could weigh in...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Schwark
United States
Manitowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both a few times.

They are similar in that players compete against each other to obtain the best tv shows, stars, and bonuses, then have ratings contests which determine the winner. Players will create a lineup for their networks with shows and modifiers (stars and ads for the Networks and stars and awards/reviews for TV Wars) that will determine viewership. They also both have humorous names for the shows based off of real shows.

The big differences:
TV Wars gameplay is roll and move, which leads to a lot of randomness for when players obtain money, shows, and have ratings wars. It also can lead to big variations in game length. The Networks has a set process of five seasons divided into a drafting session where players purchase their shows, stars, and ads, after which their lineups are scored.

TV Wars has player elimination as the win condition, so shows and ultimately players are eliminated from the game when rating wars occur. The Networks has Victory Points based on viewership as the win condition, so everyone is always engaged. Shows in the Networks will age as the seasons change, so players will want to replace them at some point whereas in TV Wars, their viewership values remain static and are only eliminated in ratings wars by other players' better programs.

TV Wars has events which affect players in the form of game board spaces and a card deck. The Networks has a deck of event cards which players can get during the drafting session.

TV Wars' shows range in length from 30 minutes to 2 hours and players have a five night lineup to fill for ratings wars. TV Wars has 4 genres, and when shows of the same genre go against each other in ratings wars their values are reduced.
In the Networks shows are all 1 hour long. There are up to 5 genres based on how many players are playing. There is no direct competition between the players during ratings wars, but in the Networks shows score better in certain hours in the lineup, and stars and ads are better with some genres and hours than with others. Also, the Networks gives bonuses for picking up shows of the same genre.

That pretty much covers the main differences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls