Rogue Trooper» Forums » Variants

Subject: Fan Expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Been revisiting some of the old games had come back across this old favorite to pull out for my new local gaming group.

As we tend to have a full 6 people playing, I was looking to add a bit more variety to the game and started working on a homebrew expansion.

Right now I have 107 cards in various stages:
Type: Total (Draft/Rough/Incomplete)

Encounters: 48 (43/3/2)
Mission: 6 (5/1/0)
Rogue: 30 (25/4/1)
Supply: 19 (15/3/1)
Undecided/Ideas: 22 (0/3/19)

This does not count the Nu-Earth Event Cards - which are about 3 times as wide as a standard card. Should be able to fit 6 to a page - though I have to double check that.

Nu-Earth Events: 18 (0/6/12)

Also started some work on Expansions to the board:
Expansion Hexes: 4 (3/1/0)

Looks like I should be able to print roughly 20 cards per letter sized page - so I will either cut back to 80 total or increase to 100. Though I may well add in the 9 White Dwarf cards and my 1 missing Supply card and call it a day at 120 total new cards. Some cards may also merit duplication in a deck.

Since I am making them for myself, I figured I may as well share and dip into the fount of Rogue knowledge amongst the player base.

I'll likely revisit and clean up all the templates at the end and make one something from scratch, rather than using the scans as a base, but this is at least letting me make some reasonable mock-ups.

Also, as the White Dwarf cards look different from the standard cards, I am leaning toward reworking that set as well. (Edit: ..and so I did)

As a further teaser, here are the card titles (Bold are posted as cards in the replies bellow, Italics need art, Underlined need text):

Encounters
Acidi-Gas (grenade)
Acidi-Pool
Auto-Gyro
Back Stabbers
Back-Up Man (aka Waldos)
Body Looters
Civilians
Clashnikov
Dazzle Missiles
Drill Probe
Driller Transport (from 2006/2017 video games)
EMP Squad (from 2006/2017 video games)
Escaped Prisoner
Fortified Position
GI Paybook
Heavy Support Armour (from 2006/2017 video games)
Hopper Transport
Hov-Ped
Kashar Legion
Krisalis Robo-Sentry (from 1990 vid game)
Krusaders
Lachete
Lamprey Assault Ship
Landing Craft (from 2006/2017 video games)
Laser Armed Sat
Lone Soldier
MedBot
Merc
Military Advisor
Mutagator
Nagan Legion
Nu-Earth Ghouls
S3 Agents
Seed Ship
Self-Propelled Artillery Droids
Shell Shocked Soldier
Souther Renegades
Spandow
Spider Mines
Spyder
Suit Sensor
Support Hopper
Tactical Armour (from 2006/2017 vid games)
Vid-Tape (from 1986 vid game)
Virus X
Vroogmen
Warheads (aka Droidonators)
Wreckage

Missions
Bio-Chip Degradation
Col. Kovert
D.I.D. (Doll in Distress)
Gene-Genies
Genie in a Bottle
Renegade Intel Officer

Rogue
AAC (Auto-Alarm Cube)
Ape Men
Col. Cheng (from IDW Reboot)
Col. Trage (From IDW Reboot)
Combat Nu-Rosis
Deploy micro mines
Disguies
Distracted
Dust Devils
Exposed
Eyes are Playing Tricks
Holo-Decoy (from 2006/2017 video games)
Improvised Weapon
Intercepted Comm Traffic
Kapiten-Inspector Jaegir (from Jaegir series)
Kapiten Natashov (from 2006/2017 video games)
Major Logan & Dr. Kinsella
Mind-Warp Beam
Mortar Troops
Na-Palm Trees
Pinned Down
Rafaella Blue (from 86ers series)
Red Path Tau
Remote Mount (from 2006/2017 video games)
Scan Sector Lazooka Team
Sneak Attack
Snow Troops
Spotted
Top Me Off
Virus X

Supply
Bayonette
Burster Bomb (grenade)
Combat Knife
Fill GP Mags
Fill Plasma Grenades
Fill Sealbursers
Gamma Grenades
GI Support Capsule
Las-Flare
Lazooka Shells
Lox-Bomb
Master Blaster
More Micro-Mines
Oozi
Ox-Bottle
Pazta-Pills
Suit Patches
Underslung Mortar (from 2006/2017 video games)
Walkie-Talkie

Undecided
Aerosols (May discard idea)
Ali (Aliens - may discard idea)
Atmo-Keak (May discard idea as nobody seems to know what they are)
Chatter (Rogue)
Chem Cartridges (Supply or Encounter)
Chem Kit
Decontam Kit
Digi-Map (Supply)
Drill
Hell Cannon (Encounter or Mission)
Identi-Scan
Lava-Bomb (from fan More Millicom Memories)
MilliCom Memories
Nu Earth Rats (from 2006/2017 video games)
Nu Earth Spiders (from 2006/2017 video games)
Porcupines (Particle-Accelerated Armour-Piercing Sabot Micro-Rounds)
Pulse Tracker (Fr1day)
R&R Vid Tape
Sniper Scope (Rogue or Supply) (from 2006/2017 video games)
Submarine
TGInF
Underslung Shotgun (Supply) (from 2006/2017 video games)

Board Extension Parts
Cinnebar
Orange Sea
Oxark Mountains

NOTE : All artwork, unless otherwise noted, is taken from the 2000AD comic progs. In some cases, I had to edit out word bubbles, framing or other elements in the original in order to get the desired effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I have only made mock-ups of 3 (now 35 - though some still need art) Encounter cards - using the Heatseeker image from the other thread as my base image. I tried to stay faithful to the style and format of the cards (though, to be honest, it certainly wouldn't hurt to make the print bigger for my aging eyes) :

The Dazzle Missiles aren't too bad on their own, but could be very painful if combined with a multiple Encounter Sector or with cards that add on to the Encounters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Trying out a new template for the Mission cards.

The Renegade Intel officer is not Rogue Trooper art, but was done by a Rogue Trooper artist, and seemed to fit

I need to work on the wording for the Bio-Chip Degradation card still. But it gets the point across.

I may also add a new type of Mission "GI Mission" (in addition to the pre-existing Contact, Genie and Wedding Bells). The Bio-Chip Degradation and DID would both fall under that (may add another as well). If I do, I'll likely modify the Genie card to look more like the current test tube style.

Here is a quick 'token' for the D.I.D. Mission. For now, it is the same as the card art, but I'll likely make something with a Doll on it in the future.

Here are the tokens for the Genie in a Bottle Mission, you will need 2 of the 'X' tokens. Unlike the D.I.D., these 3 tokens are played face down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my first shot at a Rogue card (and 3 subsequent shots)

I was having a horrible time finding something that had the look of the rest of the game for the Jaegir art - then I came across this lovely piece by Adam(antis). I encourage you to check out his Deviant Art page - there is some fantastic work there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally, some Supply cards.

Print 3 Grenade Counters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding the 9 White Dwarf cards - reworked them to better fit the look and feel of the originals.

I need to redo the art for the Filth Columnist though

I also replaced the Major Magnam chip picture with the actual character - so it wasn't a gun hunting GIs down
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Comments, constructive criticism, and requests all welcome

If a card ability is unclear or could be worded better, please let me know.

If something doesn't fit the flavour of the game or the Rogue Trooper setting, also let me know.

Have a suggestion for a new card? Fire away

Art suggestions - tell me the prog / book !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Expanding by one more spot for some board Sector extensions. These will be some new Sectors that can be placed along the outer edges to represent areas that came up later (such as Cinnebar)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are all really good!

I love this game.

I don't really see any standout issues, though some interactions might be rather deadly. That's probably fine, as the game can be rather random sometimes anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the comment and I appreciate the feed back

The wrong hand really could mess someone up - which is why I tried to include some new Rogue cards to help balance back the other direction (though there are some of those that can be quite unhelpful as well).

Has started to work on the new Sectors - do y'all think it would be better to just lay new map sectors on top or more like an extension board (like the old Talisman games) where you enter the area via a sector and can wander it? I was leaning toward just making cut outs to lay on top of the board to expand the overall size a small bit.

Thanks for the input!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A small extension board would probably work best.

You could even do a zoomed in, more detailed board of specific map areas as well. Something that focuses on an important location where a dozen issues of 2000AD took place like Fort Neuropa or other cool sites like the Glasshouse or any of the major cities. So you would enter the new map from the existing sector on the board, and it would be an expanded and more detailed sub-sector.

Pretty much exactly the way Talisman City or Dungeon worked...or the same expansions from Talisman Third edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the delayed response, was on vacation.

Yeah, I was leaning toward the idea of an expanded board area, akin to Talisman Dungeon and City (as you had mentioned).

Though that would also likely mean specific cards for that new board (like City and Dungeon) as well as cards that mix into the original decks.

For the short term (and practice) I made a quick Cinnabar hex that can be slipped on the board edge below Drop Zone 2. I used the 'Special Sector' symbol for now.

If printed at 300 DPI, it should be the right size.

Coloring can still use some work as well

The original is from the Cinnabar storyline image below:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent.

Rogue Trooper is most definitely a primary influence on Warhammer 40k. Harrison's Death World and Moorcock's Eternal Champion series being the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Adjusted some of the card details after a test run with the group, put in some additional art and drafted up some new cards - all added to the above sections.

Was also thinking I could also toss on a few more single Hex add-ons (Orange Sea and Oxark Mountains).

Was also thinking that there should be a category of Rogue cards called 'Instant' (or something) for cards that can be played during the specified phase rather than having to explain it on each card. Then make a rule to limit the number of Instants played per turn/phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Instant cards could certainly go a long way towards mitigating unlucky rolls.

They would certainly be more flavorful than the Fate mechanic that Talisman adopted later to do a similar thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the Oxark Mountains and Orange Sea.

I would place the Oxark just above Drop Zone 3 adjacent to the Atomic Desert.

Technically, the orange sea and Oxarks should both be to the left of Nu Hamlin. Might make more sense for me to recreate New Hamlin, and make all 3 of these an overlay for that side of the board. This would bump New Hamlin out a sector to the right. Which might also give a reason to travel through there.

DegenerateElite wrote:
Instant cards could certainly go a long way towards mitigating unlucky rolls.

They would certainly be more flavorful than the Fate mechanic that Talisman adopted later to do a similar thing.

So, maybe just the word "Instant" in a similar font size to the "Special Item" to indicate it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
On another note, what about something that is a board wide effect card? Maybe a new card type to represent the changing front of the war going on.

Examples could include:

- Change sector type (ex: shifting front lines that can turn a Nort or Souther sector to a gray sector)
- Increasing / Decreasing Sector card draw totals (ex: major offensives, or cease fires)
- Hazard for a specific sector type (ex: Rough Seas, Desert Sand Storms)
- MilliCom High Alert (ex: auto milli-fuzz encounter in Souther cities, must evade)
- Assassin (put all the player Bio-Chip counters in a cup and randomly draw one. On their next turn they encounter the Assassin. They may attempt to Evade or engage. If they evade, the Assassin will try again next round. Then have a number of rounds before it will leave)

Probably aim to have 20 cards to draw from to provide some variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinKase wrote:
On another note, what about something that is a board wide effect card? Maybe a new card type to represent the changing front of the war going on.

Examples could include:

- Change sector type (ex: shifting front lines that can turn a Nort or Souther sector to a gray sector)
- Increasing / Decreasing Sector card draw totals (ex: major offensives, or cease fires)
- Hazard for a specific sector type (ex: Rough Seas, Desert Sand Storms)
- MilliCom High Alert (ex: auto milli-fuzz encounter in Souther cities, must evade)
- Assassin (put all the player Bio-Chip counters in a cup and randomly draw one. On their next turn they encounter the Assassin. They may attempt to Evade or engage. If they evade, the Assassin will try again next round. Then have a number of rounds before it will leave)

Probably aim to have 20 cards to draw from to provide some variety.

That would be pretty cool. A Nu Earth wide event.

Maybe make a box on the card that can hold a d6. When you draw the card, you roll a die and stick it in that box. Every turn there after you rotate the die down one number and when you rotate the 1 off, the card is discarded and a new one is drawn then or during the next Nu Earth event phase in the following turn. So a one turn reprieve before the next starts.

That would keep the cards around a bit and stop cycling through the deck really fast, since player turns can be quick.

You could also vary the actual effect or strength of the card based upon the current value of the die box. So a roll of 5 or 6 would be a major occurrence that would force players to be extra sneaky and careful, whereas a 1 or 2 would be a minor annoyance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:

That would be pretty cool. A Nu Earth wide event.

Maybe make a box on the card that can hold a d6. When you draw the card, you roll a die and stick it in that box. Every turn there after you rotate the die down one number and when you rotate the 1 off, the card is discarded and a new one is drawn then or during the next Nu Earth event phase in the following turn. So a one turn reprieve before the next starts.

That would keep the cards around a bit and stop cycling through the deck really fast, since player turns can be quick.

You could also vary the actual effect or strength of the card based upon the current value of the die box. So a roll of 5 or 6 would be a major occurrence that would force players to be extra sneaky and careful, whereas a 1 or 2 would be a minor annoyance.

Event Card sounds like the right tone and I like the d6 idea, along with the varying level of the effects. Allows a lot of room for variety. Could even have a varied effect based on Even/Odd as the turns pass for some of the cards. Possibly have specific card categories or the phase they impact at the top.

The cards would need to be larger in size - to fit the die, art and rules. Ideally, there would be some positive events as well (like the cease fire example).

Going to have to come up with a mock-up, thanks for the extra ideas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Making the cards about double the size of normal cards would work well, possibly even larger, same height and triple width maybe.

You would want then to be larger so that they can be more easily seen from various player seats at the table, especially since having a die on them would make picking them up to examine a little bit problematic.

I'm more than happy to help and once you've got the preliminaries down to how you like them, I will print of the cards and run some test playthroughs and give you some more specific feedback.

Same with all the other great components you have been doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Been busy with work, so I haven't had too much time, though I did get a rough framework together. Hope to have a sample by tomorrow.

Also - in the original game, there were some cards that had multiple copies. Are there any cards in these batches that should have multiples? Or should any of the original cards get an increase in quantity?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny W
United States
Long Lake
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Awesome.

Excellent work.

How is the project progressing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheridan Kelly
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
Rogue Trooper is most definitely a primary influence on Warhammer 40k. Harrison's Death World and Moorcock's Eternal Champion series being the others.

I'd never thought of Rogue as being an influence on W40K. Nemesis the Warlock and Termight certainly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheridan Kelly
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loving it all - I've not played the game for a while so won't comment on the play, but the design is great. Good to see some post-Rogue Trooper stuff featured (Jaegir, etc). Art credits that I could spot:
*Dave Gibbons
*Colin Wilson
*Brett Ewins
*Steve Dillon
*Cam Kennedy
*Mike Collins
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
((and now I have learned to subscribe to my own threads so I don't miss things ))

Glad you both are liking it!

Been a bit busy with work and some other projects. But, this project is still ongoing and I have completed cards for most of the missing dozen cards in the first post, along with fleshing out some of the Undecided ideas.

I still need to pull more artwork, but I continue to inch ever closer to a completed set - which will then need to be fine-tuned after player feedback.

For the event cards, I created a rough template that I will try to get posted on here.

I'd really love to find someone who play tested the original multi-player rules that were hinted at in a White Dwarf article - it would be neat to be able to play as Maj Magnum or Venus along with Rogue!

sheridan wrote:
Loving it all - I've not played the game for a while so won't comment on the play, but the design is great. Good to see some post-Rogue Trooper stuff featured (Jaegir, etc). Art credits that I could spot:
*Dave Gibbons
*Colin Wilson
*Brett Ewins
*Steve Dillon
*Cam Kennedy
*Mike Collins

Good eyes Yes, this spans almost the full spectrum of artists that had worked on the various Rogue Trooper comics - along with 1 piece of fan art for Jaegir.

There are some touchups here and there - and I had to fill in the blanks for things that were clipped or covered by word bubbles in the original comics.

The Orange Sea and Ozarks are some art I did over an image of the black hole - I tried to emulate the other 'scenic' tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |