GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,300 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
37 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: [WIP] EQUAL - 2017 Two-Player PnP Contest - components ready rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Tuck
England
LONDON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

A bit late to the party but here's my entry to the
2017 Two-Player Print and Play Game Design Contest

It's a quick mathematical challenge between 2 players using just a standard deck of cards (and 2 dice).

By combining cards, players attempt to form a calculation to equal, or get the closest possible to, a randomly generated target number.
Drawing additional cards may help but, the more cards a player takes, the more they have to give to their opponent.

Components:
1 deck of standard playing cards
2 D6 dice

Playing Time:
15 - 30 minutes (depending on how quickly you can do your sums).

Ages:
8+ (?)

Categories:
Please consider my game for
Best Art/Graphic Design (only kidding)
Best Casual/Gateway Game
Best Game with Language Independent Components
Best Deck & Dice Game
Best Game

The rules are equally quick, taking up just a single side of paper. You can find them at: EQUAL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice, clever looking game.

But that game logo has got to go. It is somehow hypnoticwow - the red and black E's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know just who this game is perfect for. A report in a few days, I hope...

Hands are dealt face down and kept hidden until scoring. Is this correct?

(Why does the graphic design make me think of a Cold War theme?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
England
LONDON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Narrow Gate Games wrote:
It is somehow hypnotic.

"I want to play this game..I want to play this game.."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
England
LONDON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenTea532 wrote:
I know just who this game is perfect for. A report in a few days, I hope...

Hands are dealt face down and kept hidden until scoring. Is this correct?

(Why does the graphic design make me think of a Cold War theme?)

Yes, that's correct.

Now I look at it, the combination of red and black (meant to reflect the deck of cards) together with the reversed letter E, suggests the style of Russian revolutionary posters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Lund
American Samoa
Ontonagon
Michigan
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gl!

I'm still working as hard as I can to get my game done :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Predrag Stevanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I got carried away for a moment, hope you don't mind... (free font here)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
England
LONDON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pecaZP wrote:
I got carried away for a moment, hope you don't mind... (free font here)

Not at all - that's a nice font.

However, the equals sign formed by the two letter Es, has been lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Welcome to the contest Mark.

My first impression from your logo was Animal Farm (Orwell, not Agricola).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Predrag Stevanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tucky60 wrote:

However, the equals sign formed by the two letter Es, has been lost.

Wait, what... Oh... I can see now!

Seriously, i haven't got it first time. Great job, as always.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep the logo!

Very nice game, really like this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
England
LONDON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnKean wrote:
Welcome to the contest Mark.

Thanks John. You're doing a grand job running it.

wrote:
My first impression from your logo was Animal Farm (Orwell, not Agricola).

Yes, that book reflects events of the Russian Revolution and the Stalinist era, hence the Soviet look of its associated imagery.
1984's themes of oppression and propaganda produce similar book cover/ poster graphics.

The only connection to EQUAL I can think of is that both 19 and 84 are potential target numbers in the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
England
LONDON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quadrante wrote:
Keep the logo!

Very nice game, really like this!

Thanks Jonas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sals
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmb
I actually like the first logo. It's bold and attention-grabbing. I saw the = symbol right away. And the black and red are classic colors for two sides competing against one another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Hoddinott
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm with david - or is that divide in this game - hehe. First logo was stronger and more math-ee.

PS: I was a chalkie and used to have my classes play a similar game as a break between lessons. Kids hate math but usually love math games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played two-person yesterday! The rules were clear and easy to teach (very important for us). Gameplay was quick and fun and we both want to play again.

Quick notes:
I think it doesn't say anywhere that aces=1. Obviously they are, but the question came up...
Under Using Jokers -- since only two operator cards are used per set and all are discarded between sets, no need to specify "discard operator" when you use a joker.
I think you might need more than two dice per game, esp. if the game goes to best of five.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
England
LONDON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenTea532 wrote:
Played two-person yesterday! The rules were clear and easy to teach (very important for us). Gameplay was quick and fun and we both want to play again.
Thanks for playing and glad you enjoyed it!

Quote:
Quick notes:
I think it doesn't say anywhere that aces=1. Obviously they are, but the question came up...
This is mentioned under 'Components': The remaining cards represent numbers, with the Aces as 1s.

Quote:
Under Using Jokers -- since only two operator cards are used per set and all are discarded between sets, no need to specify "discard operator" when you use a joker.
You're right

Quote:
I think you might need more than two dice per game, esp. if the game goes to best of five.
The idea was that 1 die would track the points from the first 2 hands (maximum 6) and then the score of the third hand would simply be added to this in the player's head (to get the final points for that set). I suppose they could have 2 dice each to represent points up to 9.

Dice are then reused for the next set, so, as it stands, players have to remember how many sets they have won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
PLAYTESTER SPOT PRIZES

This game is eligible for a playtester spot prize for the next week!

See this post for more details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
I play games
badge
Seven
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday I had a quick play with my 10 y/o son and it was great. He enjoyed it a lot and me too.

I had one doubt: 2 J 3 Q 5 stands for 2 + ( 3 x 5 ) = 17 or (2 + 3) x 5 = 25 ? I first thought the answer would be the second one because you can always play the cards 3 Q 5 J 2 for the first option. Then I re-read the rules and found that I missed the rule that the first operation always comes first.

We also found that, if we both choose to draw 3 additional cards every hand, the number deck will be exhausted by the 3rd hand. How is it addressed? Do you reshuffle the discards?

Congrats for a neat game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
England
LONDON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
7isprime wrote:
Yesterday I had a quick play with my 10 y/o son and it was great. He enjoyed it a lot and me too.
Thanks for playing and great that your son enjoyed it too.

Quote:
I had one doubt: 2 J 3 Q 5 stands for 2 + ( 3 x 5 ) = 17 or (2 + 3) x 5 = 25 ? I first thought the answer would be the second one because you can always play the cards 3 Q 5 J 2 for the first option. Then I re-read the rules and found that I missed the rule that the first operation always comes first.
It doesn't really matter as you can arrange your cards however you like, as long as the order is N, O, N, O, N.

So, assuming J is '+' and Q is 'x', that hand could be played in any of 6 different ways:
(2 J 3) Q 5 = 25, (3 J 5) Q 2 = 16, (2 J 5) Q 3 = 21, (2 Q 5) J 3 = 13, (2 Q 3) J 5 = 11 or (3 Q 5) J 2 = 17.

This is probably not as clear as it could be from the example given in the rules. Maybe this example would be better?

Quote:

We also found that, if we both choose to draw 3 additional cards every hand, the number deck will be exhausted by the 3rd hand. How is it addressed? Do you reshuffle the discards?
That's true. You'd be 2 cards short. I'll add a rule about shuffling the discard pile.

Quote:
Congrats for a neat game!
Thanks for feeding back!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
England
LONDON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just updated the rules with a couple of clarifications and more examples.

You'll find version 2 at:
EQUAL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Mark,
I did a quick (solo) playtest of this game - all went well. Clear rules, clever little thinker of a game. Some nice decision making: do I take more cards to get better, but then I give my opponent card(s) that may help them.

Target = 30

Top player has 31 = (9 x 3) + 4

Bottom player has 28 = (10 - 6) x 7

Before playing, I thought that getting the target in 2 cards should be worth more, but that actually takes less skill (i.e. 5 x 6 = 30, instead of (10 - 5) x 6 = 30), so I think your rules are fine.

Since this is sort of a push your luck / deduction of how close your opponent may be to the target, I really couldn't do it justice playing it solo, but I think it would work well with 2 players.

Next time I'm bored, with another person, and have a deck of cards, I may try this game - the rules are easy enough that I'm pretty sure I could play this game without them in a week or a month or two.

Nicely done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
England
LONDON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for solo testing the game Scott.

Hope you get the opportunity to try it out as 2 player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Wow, what a find - this game is a blast! Really clever, and a heck of a lot of fun! My only lament is that it doesn't have any extraclever variations(ie: mod as a possible function), but I don't see how you could do that what with every card having a role already (unless it was added as a bonus King power, to have K differentiate from Q I guess). It would be cool, but I'm not sure if it would really have that much utility in gameplay...

Even still, I do love this game. If you have all the assets ready to go, and you have the time / interest, I'd love a card-sized reference sheet (face card effect, game setup, win parameters) to put inside my actual deck of cards for easy travel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
England
LONDON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BizzFoth wrote:
Wow, what a find - this game is a blast! Really clever, and a heck of a lot of fun! My only lament is that it doesn't have any extraclever variations(ie: mod as a possible function), but I don't see how you could do that what with every card having a role already (unless it was added as a bonus King power, to have K differentiate from Q I guess). It would be cool, but I'm not sure if it would really have that much utility in gameplay...

Even still, I do love this game. If you have all the assets ready to go, and you have the time / interest, I'd love a card-sized reference sheet (face card effect, game setup, win parameters) to put inside my actual deck of cards for easy travel.

I did actually try giving the King another function, but it didn't work as well.

No problem in doing a reference card - Poker sized - two sided?
I suppose, depending on amount of info, it could be a small sheet folded in half to become card sized.

I'll let you know once I've got round to it (just got to sort out some questions concerning bulls for my game in the Solitaire contest first!)

Thanks for feeding back and glad you enjoyed the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.