Emily Chow
msg tools
Dear gamers,

Our research team is conducting an online study to understand the features of intergenerational play between people aged 55+ and their family members aged 15+. This study is financially supported by one of the eight National Centres of Excellence (NCE) work projects as part of a large NCE grant from 2015-2020 for $36.6 million (http://agewell-nce.ca).

If you are aged 55 and over, and have played digital games with your children, grandchildren, nephews, or nieces, please click the following URL link to complete the online survey:
https://sfu.fluidsurveys.com/s/intergenerationplay-OlderAdul...

If you are aged 15 and over, and have played digital games with your parents, grandparents, uncles, or aunts, please click the following URL link to complete the online survey:
https://sfu.fluidsurveys.com/s/intergenerationplay-Young/

If you wish, you can provide your contact information at the end of the survey to enter a draw for three cash prizes of $100.

This study was approved by the Office of Research Ethics SFU.

Sincerely,
Emily Chow, PhD, Post-Doctoral Scholar, Faculty of Education, Simon Fraser University, Canada

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Colombo
United States
Raleigh / Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
BlueLineGameStudios.com
badge
BlueLine Game Studios - Digital Tabletop games since 2011
mbmbmbmbmb
Please post the results of your research here when you're done!

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Emily1985 wrote:
old adults aged 55+

Some of us (perhaps particularly gamers) prefer the word 'older'. (Yes, I know, ironic given my username)

Good luck with your research.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emily Chow
msg tools
TooOld4Games2 wrote:
Emily1985 wrote:
old adults aged 55+

Some of us (perhaps particularly gamers) prefer the word 'older'. (Yes, I know, ironic given my username)

This is a very interesting comment. Some people replied to my posted and said that "55" is not old.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Emily1985 wrote:
TooOld4Games2 wrote:
Emily1985 wrote:
old adults aged 55+

This is a very interesting comment. Some people replied to my posted and said that "55" is not old.

It's all relative, isn't it?

I wish I could take your survey, since I mostly play (and greatly prefer) digital versions of board games. But I don't play with younger folk, so not in your interest group. I do hope you'll publish a summary of the results, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liallan G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Emily1985 wrote:
TooOld4Games2 wrote:
Emily1985 wrote:
old adults aged 55+

That would be me as well, and in fact I found it insulting to say "old adults" and "your old family members." Quite frankly, I think your study is already off to a bad start if that's how you think because you're starting with a faulty premise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emily Chow
msg tools
Liallan wrote:
Emily1985 wrote:
TooOld4Games2 wrote:
Emily1985 wrote:
old adults aged 55+

That would be me as well, and in fact I found it insulting to say "old adults" and "your old family members." Quite frankly, I think your study is already off to a bad start if that's how you think because you're starting with a faulty premise.

Thanks for you comment! We use "old" and "young" to differ two different demographics: people who play digital games with their children/grandchildren and people who play digital games with their parents/grandparents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geneva Ratliff
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
can we still have chance to get prizemodest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to admit that I was shocked by some of the questions, namely the premise that children aged 15+ might need an older person to "guide [them] how to play digital games" or "explain game elements or game mechanisms" to them. We are talking about teenagers and young adults, here. These are people who've been playing digital games since they were old enough to hold a controller or press keyboard buttons.

Later questions ask about my own well-being, but those seem more appropriate to people much older--perhaps in their 70s or 80s: "my family really tries to help me" and "I get the emotional help and support I need from my family" don't seem to target people in their mid-50s, who, unless they have health problems, are not much different than they were in their 30s and 40s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emily Chow
msg tools
Hi, thanks very much for your suggestion!
I revised the post and deleted the confusing words of "old" and "young".

Thanks again!
Emily

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emily Chow
msg tools
SocialBuffy wrote:
can we still have chance to get prizemodest

Yes. You still have chance to get a prize.
Emily

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
msg tools
Emily1985 wrote:
[b]If you are older than 15 and over

???

I assume you just mean 15 and over

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emily Chow
msg tools
EMBison wrote:
Emily1985 wrote:
[b]If you are older than 15 and over

???

I assume you just mean 15 and over

Yes. Thank you very much!
Emily

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.