Love Letter Premium» Forums » Variants

Subject: How to play 2-4 players with new premium card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Klaser
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/642hzc/rules_fo...

Today I spent some time trying to figure out how to play a 2-4 player game with new cards but still keep game balanced. We have played tested this a few times and we all agree that with these rules it is actually more fun original.

First: building the deck
I wanted keep the card count similar and number spread the close to the same. (#) is number of characters added

9: Bishop (1)
8: Princess (1)
7: Countess (1)
Dowager Queen (1) ... yes two 7s
6: King (1)
5: Prince (2)
4: Handmaid (1)
Sycophant (1)
3: Baron (1) ... yes only one 3
2: Priest (1)
Cardinal (1) ... rule exception to this card, see below.
1: Guard (3) ... yes only three
0: Jester (1)
Assassin (1)

Your deck should have 17 card, one more than a standard deck.

Cardinal exception: you choose any two players, including yourself, to trade hands, however in this version the player who played the card DOES NOT get to look at one of the hands. When there are only 2 players remain this card essentially functions like a King.

Second: Dealing

Shuffle and burn (set aside the top card on the deck, and deal one card to each player clockwise starting with the player how won the last match. Then, set and addition card aside on top of the first card. These are your burned cards, this makes the card count the same as if you were playing the standard deck, but also makes it slightly more difficult to card count and all the more fun.

Rule: the first burned card can NOT be drawn if the last card played was a Prince, the player must take the second burned card.

Third: Winning

4 Players: 6 tokens
3 Players: 7 tokens
2 Players: 8 tokens

This does not make the game any longer. It is needed to make the game last as long normal match because the Jester and Bishop allow players to earn additional tokens.

In case of a token tie at the end of the round (via a Jester), the win goes the player that actually won the final round. The Jester winner comes in sadly at second place. But remember a Bishop winner can win mid round ending the game by guessing a player’s card correctly.

Let me know what you guys think. And if you love it as much as I do, please spread the word!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Williams
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
We tried out this variant yesterday and it worked great! Thanks for your contribution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Rutledge
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
We only occasionally get 5+ players to play Love Letter Premium so finding a variant from 2-4 players using more of the cards was something we were looking for. We just tried this variant. Love it!! It is more fun than the original 2-4 player version. Another advantage is that it gets players familiar with more of the cards so that moving to the full premium version is much easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A C
United Kingdom
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You've put a lot of thought into this. Really nice work.

The people i often play 3 player games with have been wanting to try the other roles, so this might be a nice way to give them a taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls