Thumb up
1 Posts

The Lamps Are Going Out» Forums » Sessions

Subject: New Game: final report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Bailey
msg tools
I screwed up the ME. The British cannot place more than one unit in a square and the artillery unit is not allowed there. As a result, I teleported both illegal units to France and continued the game, ignoring the ME. As it turned out, it didn't matter much.

1917, Summer – Lenin/Bolsheviks Rise. The German advance pushes the Russians back into Petrograd. British retake Serbia from Greece. Russian Revolution; Russia collapses. First US soldiers arrive in France. Austria rushes troops from the Russian front to Hungary to face the British unit in Serbia.

1917, Fall – Germany moves more troops to the Western front and begins bleeding the WA in Paris. Germany attacks from the Rhine and exhausts three more French units. Germany could attack with its last army in an effort to drive the French from Verdun, but it seems wiser to let them stay for a couple of reasons: (1) even a successful attack would result in one more PP than Germany has for resupply and (2) it would consolidate the WA forces whereas letting the French stay causes the WA to be more spread out and less potent offensively and defensively.

Commentary – at this point the CP has 6 VPs, the ET none. The only areas that are legitimately in the balance are Romania and Serbia. Taking either one will give the CP 7 VPS and the game. (I’m ignoring the ME since I completely screwed that up, but even with the loss of Anatolia, the CP would win by taking Romania and Serbia.) Since the outcome seems inevitable (the Western Front isn’t going to change nor is the Italian Front) and since I screwed up the ME, I’m going to end the game and start a new one.

Conclusions – (1) a Gallipoli invasion is essential; if it works, Russia probably survives; if it fails, the Turk still is pressed too hard to easily recover. In this game the WA never attempted it, but I think if I make it an absolute “must attempt,” then it will happen in future games. (2) the CP should link the German and Austrian armies against Russia ASAP; this allows a one-two punch against a single Russian area over and over; so I think AH should take out Serbia as quickly as possible, then attack Brest-Litovsk. (3) I think the US gets into the game too late to matter; in this game they entered at just about the earliest possible moment, and their only function is to serve as cannon fodder on defense.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.