Seven
mbmbmbmbmb

Discussion
a game of conversations
2 Players
18 minutes
Components: 18 cards

Summary
Discussion is a 18 cards microgame in which you try to create a coherent speech using your resources at hand and your memory, and forcing your opponent to flip its ideas.

This is an entry for the 2017 Two-Player Print and Play Game Design Contest

Contest categories:
* Best Date Night Game
* Best Game to Play with Your Child
* Best Casual/Gateway Game
* Best Game with Language Independent Components
* Best Use of Theme
* Best Art/Graphic Design
* Best Game

----------

Game status: playtesting - components ready
Rules: may 2017
Cards: front RED | back RED | front GREEN | back GREEN
Box: sleeve box
Video: setup and first turns
Game page: Discussion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The files for front red and front green are the same. Is that correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
I play games
badge
Seven
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenTea532 wrote:
The files for front red and front green are the same. Is that correct?

Yes, they are the same. Only the backs differ.

EDIT: I've just updated the files. Now they are different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like a game for the english classroom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
Welcome to the contest.
Can you please indicate in your top post which contest categories you wish to enter.
You may also want to add a fuller description which I can use in the game list.
Cheers,
JK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Really interesting theme! I'll try to get this one printed out and played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
Hiya. Just had a read of the rules. Simple and elegant little game. It's actually very similar to my own (incomplete art) entry, Wolfe & Co - they say that great minds think alike!

A couple of things to consider...

Red and green may not be the best choices for the main colours because it makes the game impossible for colour blind players. Apart from that, the graphic design is great.

It would be good to clarify what you mean by "disconnects another card ot group of cards". I assume you mean from the rest of the played cards, though it's a bit confusing since your aim is to connect cards of one colour so I initially thought you weren't allowed to break up a group of one colour. Also, would a card be disconnected if it is only touching diagonally by a corner?

There's a spelling mistake "ballon" for balloon. It took me a second to figure out what you mean, because in my country they are mostly called speech bubbles rather than balloons.

For scoring, have you considered counting the number of adjacent edges rather than adjacent cards? This would encourage a denser tableau. For example four cards in a square have 4 shared edges, but four cards in a line have only 3.

I hope that's helpful!

JK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
I play games
badge
Seven
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Thanks for your replies!

ex1st wrote:
Looks like a game for the english classroom
Hiya, Charles! Great to have you here. I’am afraid I’m not going to improve my English with this game

JohnKean wrote:
Welcome to the contest.
Can you please indicate in your top post which contest categories you wish to enter.
You may also want to add a fuller description which I can use in the game list.
Thanks. I’ll try to do it now.

njshaw2 wrote:
Really interesting theme! I'll try to get this one printed out and played.
Great to hear it. I hope the gameplay can hold the theme.

JohnKean wrote:
Hiya. Just had a read of the rules. Simple and elegant little game. It's actually very similar to my own (incomplete art) entry, Wolfe & Co - they say that great minds think alike!
Oh! I’ll take a look and I’ll playtest it. Maybe I could steal some more ideas ;-).
Jokes aside, I really wanted to keep the game simple. My inspiration for Discussion is the game Mentalis. I wanted to do something similar with 18 cards.

JohnKean wrote:
A couple of things to consider...
Red and green may not be the best choices for the main colours because it makes the game impossible for colour blind players. Apart from that, the graphic design is great.
Shame on me, I didn’t think about it. What colors do you suggest?
In the meanwhile I hope it could be played paying attention to the different shapes of the speech bubbles.

JohnKean wrote:
It would be good to clarify what you mean by "disconnects another card ot group of cards". I assume you mean from the rest of the played cards, though it's a bit confusing since your aim is to connect cards of one colour so I initially thought you weren't allowed to break up a group of one colour. Also, would a card be disconnected if it is only touching diagonally by a corner?
Yes, if the cards are touching diagonally they are disconnected. I’ll work with the rules to clarify this. You are allowed to break one color group if it doesn’t disconnect the played cards on the table.

JohnKean wrote:
There's a spelling mistake "ballon" for balloon. It took me a second to figure out what you mean, because in my country they are mostly called speech bubbles rather than balloons.
So, I’ll go for bubbles instead of balloons. I really didn’t now which one was the best option. I did a quick search and the wikipedia offered both.

JohnKean wrote:
For scoring, have you considered counting the number of adjacent edges rather than adjacent cards? This would encourage a denser tableau. For example four cards in a square have 4 shared edges, but four cards in a line have only 3.
No, I haven’t consider it and it is a good suggestion. My only concern (without thinking it twice) is that the score will be less intuitive.

JohnKean wrote:
I hope that's helpful!
Yes! Very helpful. I’ve a lot of things to think about and that is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
I play games
badge
Seven
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve just updated the rules, added a description in the original post and a list of categories I wish to enter.

I only have a little request, John. In the game list, can you credit the game to María Blasco and Enrique Blasco?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
7isprime wrote:
I’ve just updated the rules, added a description in the original post and a list of categories I wish to enter.

I only have a little request, John. In the game list, can you credit the game to María Blasco and Enrique Blasco?

Thank you! JK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Lund
American Samoa
Ontonagon
Michigan
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck man!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just because I love reading about words ... have a look at this fun Wikipedia entry:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speech_balloon

Ballons and bubbles are used interchangeably -- either is fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A very neat little game, but I have some questions. When you place a card of any color back next to a face down card of your opponent's color, you flip both cards? If that is correct, what happens when you place a card next to a card that is face up and is you opponant's color on the front but not the back?

Also, if you use the blue card -- do you force secondary flips based on the fronts or backs of the cards?

I hate to suggest writing long rules, but some examples addressing these questions would really help.

Loooking forward to playing again. Thanks.

Edit: almost forgot ... it occurred to me that blue and yellow cards are very powerful. I wonder if increasing the card count by adding more simple speech bubbles, might be worth thinking about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
I play games
badge
Seven
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenTea532 wrote:
A very neat little game, but I have some questions. When you place a card of any color back next to a face down card of your opponent's color, you flip both cards?

Yes

GreenTea532 wrote:
If that is correct, what happens when you place a card next to a card that is face up and is you opponant's color on the front but not the back?

You only consider the visible face. The cards flip if their visible colors are opposite and then activate (or not) the flipped side.

GreenTea532 wrote:
Also, if you use the blue card -- do you force secondary flips based on the fronts or backs of the cards?

Yes

GreenTea532 wrote:
I hate to suggest writing long rules, but some examples addressing these questions would really help.

Yes you're true. The rules are clear in my head but I find it very hard to translate it into a proper wording. I'll try to put together some examples with images. I also want to record a video of a whole game. I think this would be very helpful to teach how to play.

GreenTea532 wrote:
Loooking forward to playing again. Thanks.

Thanks to you! Let me know any thoughts you'll have.

GreenTea532 wrote:
Edit: almost forgot ... it occurred to me that blue and yellow cards are very powerful. I wonder if increasing the card count by adding more simple speech bubbles, might be worth thinking about.

Yep. It has been shown in the playtesting that a good combo involving yellow and blue cards can complety turn a game. My first thought is that this is good since it rewards aggresive play.

There are two blues and one yellow per player. I can reduce it to one blue and one yellow per player if repeated playtests show this problem.

EDIT: For this contest I want to keep the 18 cards count. I don't want to add more but you made me consider changing one of the blue bubbles for a simple one. I think it will improve the gameplay.

EDIT 2: I've changed the distribution of the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
shake Every time I see this thread I think it's a discussion page about the 18 card contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
I play games
badge
Seven
mbmbmbmbmb
ex1st wrote:
shake Every time I see this thread I think it's a discussion page about the 18 card contest.

Can't stop laughing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
England
LONDON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ex1st wrote:
Me too!

Just like to say that I really like the card design.

Whilst it's difficult for me to play test this game solo, I have read through the rules.
There are a few spelling/grammatical errors in the rules (but certainly nowhere near as many as their would be if my games' rules were in Spanish!):

differentiate
The cards are played on the table showing their back sides.
Each player on their turn should play a card next to another on the table. If you place it next to one of your opponent's ...
...two or more of your opponents color...
...the blue and yellow cards are flipped to show their green or red side

I will allow you color rather than colour
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
7isprime wrote:
ex1st wrote:

Can't stop laughing!

Click bait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
I play games
badge
Seven
mbmbmbmbmb
tucky60 wrote:
differentiate
The cards are played on the table showing their back sides.
Each player on their turn should play a card next to another on the table. If you place it next to one of your opponent's ...
...two or more of your opponents color...
...the blue and yellow cards are flipped to show their green or red side

Great! Corrected!
I really really appreciate this. I know that my English is far from being perfect and I'm always sure that I make a lot of grammatical errors while trying to write rules for my games. But I've found that almost nobody corrects me and it makes me wonder if I'm a kind of genious or they are shy to point my errors.
Please correct me!

tucky60 wrote:
I will allow you color rather than colour

Thanks . I'm used to write 'color' instead of 'colour'. I know they are both allowed but I don't have the faintest idea how one or the other sound to the English speaker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
England
LONDON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
7isprime wrote:
I'm used to write 'color' instead of 'colour'. I know they are both allowed but I don't have the faintest idea how one or the other sound to the English speaker.

Same sound. 'Color' is the spelling used in the US and 'Colour' is used in the UK and in other English-speaking countries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
PLAYTESTER SPOT PRIZES

This game is eligible for a playtester spot prize for the next week!

See this post for more details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
I play games
badge
Seven
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnKean wrote:
PLAYTESTER SPOT PRIZES

This game is eligible for a playtester spot prize for the next week!

See this post for more details.

Thanks! Just in time. I've updated the distribution of the cards so the playtester will have a new fresh version to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn van der Lee
Netherlands
Bussum
Noord Holland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
This looks like an interresting game to try.

Does this work with black&white printing and do the cards need to be printed both sides for the mechanics to work?

I only have a B&W laser printer and thick (non-see-through ) paper sometimes "spins" a bit in my printer, making it hard to get both sides aligned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
I play games
badge
Seven
mbmbmbmbmb
Tynes wrote:
This looks like an interresting game to try.

Does this work with black&white printing and do the cards need to be printed both sides for the mechanics to work?

I only have a B&W laser printer and thick (non-see-through ;)) paper sometimes "spins" a bit in my printer, making it hard to get both sides aligned.

Thanks! It will work well in B&W because you only need to pay attention to the bubbles.

I can't help you with the printer but you can always print the cards in separate sheets, cut them and then glue both sides, or join them inside a card sleeve.

Hope you enjoy the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
I play games
badge
Seven
mbmbmbmbmb
Slightly modified rules just uploaded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.