Subject: When fun becomes work (updated with new scores) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Intro

Sentinels of the Multiverse (SotM) is a cooperative card game where players take the role of superheroes and take on the bad guy together in an epic battle.

Pros

The setup time is less than 5 mins which is a HUGE plus for me. Since each heroes, villains, and environments have their own respective decks, it is relatively simple to just grab them out of the box and set it on the table. The comic theme really brings out the "superheroesque" feel of the game. It is also a cooperative game that comes with a set of easy to learn rules. It took my group just under 15 mins to learn the basics of the game which is definitely a huge plus! There is also a lot of replayability with a large and growing selection of villains.

Cons

Information management overload! There are a lot of stuff to keep track of including environments, villains, and math. Controlling the villain is a whole new level of work by itself with it's multiple triggers and upkeep to keep track of. This drains the experience of the game and makes it more of a tedious work than a fun game. Battle also becomes a chore as I have to now add the buffs and debuffs to the calculation. This glaring problem however, is mostly eliminated by the Sentinels Sidekick app which I highly recommend you get to manage the fiddly nature of the game.

Final Verdict (updated): 7/10

I gave this a 4/10 previously due to it's fiddliness and clunky game mechanic. However I recently found out about the Sentinels Sidekick app and the use of tokens to represent beginning, end of turn, and trigger mechanics, which essentially erases most of the problems I've highlighted. I played the game again using the app and it was a MUCH more pleasant experience. All of the headaches of accounting and fiddliness are being managed and taken care of by the app. The app is available on Android and IOS for $4.99 with the only complaint being that android app lacks the sync feature which the IOS has. If you want to play this game, I would highly recommend you buy the Sentinels Sidekick app (best used on a tablet or multiple devices using the app's sync feature) to go with it as it let people focus and enjoy the gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Do the right thing. It's usually obvious.
badge
I has a stick! A tiny green stick!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: When a fun becomes work
The fiddliness becomes easier to cope with with time, but when we were starting out we would use mini poker chips (1/2" diameter) to mark cards. A red chip meant the card had an end of turn effect, then blue for beginning of turn and green if a card was triggered by an event.

This system greatly reduced play time, but after a few years, we no longer needed it.

(Also, check out the video version from Handelabra Games.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jovel Castaneda
Philippines
Makati / Marikina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
The fiddliness becomes easier to cope with with time, but when we were starting out we would use mini poker chips (1/2" diameter) to mark cards. A red chip meant the card had an end of turn effect, then blue for beginning of turn and green if a card was triggered by an event.

This system greatly reduced play time, but after a few years, we no longer needed it.

(Also, check out the video version from Handelabra Games.)

oh wow! i wish i thought of this before hehehe...anyways, i'm beyond hating the game for it's fiddliness since i've become used to it already...love this game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enral wrote:
Information management overload: There are a lot of stuff to keep track of including environments, villains, and math. Controlling the villain is a whole new level of work by itself with it's multiple triggers and upkeep to keep track of. This drains the experience of the game and makes it a tedious work than a fun game. Battle also becomes a chore as I have to now add the buffs and debuffs to the calculation.
Radulla wrote:
There is also the Sentinels of the Multiverse: Extra Token Pack, which we have found useful to have around as alternate HP tokens for games that provide poor methods of tracking HP (like Attack on Titan: Deck-Building Game). The additional tokens include "start of turn" and "end of turn" reminder tokens and damage modifier tokens (+1/-1 dealt/taken) to aid tracking game effects.

enral wrote:
It's a pity that this game is bogged down by it's deeply flawed AI and battle system which contributed in it's clunky game management.
"flawed AI"? It may be too fiddly for your tastes, but as far as game play goes, it works fine.
enral wrote:
This could be mitigated however with a dedicated game master who controls the villain, environment, and battle math exclusively.
If this is really your only complaint about the game, it does sound like you would prefer the computer implementation better. It is available for iOS and Android tablets, as well as through Steam.
enral wrote:
Having one or two players take on the role of controlling the villain and environment takes away from the fun and enjoyment of the game.
In about 100 plays of this game, this has never been an issue for any of the people I have played this with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexa Elvrayen

California
msg tools
This... Is a really bad review. "Pros: its good. Cons': but also bad!" Without actually going into detail to explain either side. Then a completely arbitrary rating over an aspect of the game that really isn't as complex as you think it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I've just updated my review after playing it with the Sentinels Sidekick app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexa Elvrayen

California
msg tools
Small nitpick: There are no more planned expansions. There is one that is currently being finished, and that's it. They're finished with the game after that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Alexa_Elvrayen wrote:
Small nitpick: There are no more planned expansions. There is one that is currently being finished, and that's it. They're finished with the game after that.

Good catch. Edited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls