Race for the Galaxy» Forums » General

Subject: Race for the Galaxy iOS / Android beta feedback rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Theresa Duringer
United States
California
flag msg tools
Got a bug? An idea for a feature? Confused about something? Post here. Temple Gates Games will be checking this thread throughout the beta to make sure the game is ship shape for launch May 3rd.

Beta signup at https://goo.gl/forms/oLtSuB0yoIoYJ3bY2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I take it by virtue of the fact that you are posting this here, we are allowed to talk about our experience with the beta? Even if it is just here on this page?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theresa Duringer
United States
California
flag msg tools
Yes! Please do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TDuringer wrote:
Yes! Please do.

Okay, I mean there was no NDA but I was not sure what you thought appropriate.

That said, I have only four games in now. None of them multi-player (don't expect to get much of that in the beta, but we will see) So far I am just having fun with it, not trying to "break it" but in those games I see the game that will be my "go-to" app for a very long time. RftG has always been one of my favorite games, and I have wanted an iPad version for years. Now that we have it, I have to say, this is a fantastic adaptation.

1) Easy to use
2) Great interface
3) Smooth, fast game play with adjustable speed
4) Effortless ability to add/remove expansions
5) Very true to form graphical representation

In short, so far it seems that you have thought of everything. I'll let you now once the "shine" wears off and I get more games in if anything comes up. Until then, you should be commended. This game should be an auto-buy for any RftG fan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theresa Duringer
United States
California
flag msg tools
Well that is good to hear! If you come across rough edges though, we're happy to jump on them. Also, if you want to help me test multiplayer sometime, my friend code is E9G7NR55.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaphod Beeblebrox
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an issue! I haven't received a Beta invitation yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theresa Duringer
United States
California
flag msg tools
We expanded our beta a bunch today, so check your inbox today and tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
The rich and powerful take what they want. We steal it back for you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just going off of screenshots (since I'm not in the beta...yet ), there seems to be a bit of space off of the opponent's tableaus. Would it be possible to expand their tableaus to show the standard world/dev cost + VPs + other markers? (chromosome, rebel, etc.) This might work at least for tablets.

Also I own both an Android phone and an iPad, so would I need to apply for the beta twice in order to get it for both devices?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Fioravanti
Italy
Roma
italy
flag msg tools
designer
alien frontiers
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Theresa,

what are the chances of being included in the beta program? How many requests?

I'm a BGA online player (user bubbaxis there with about 2600 RFTG game played) and I wolud like to see this online version.

Best regards

Fabio

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just downloaded testflight and the beta app and must say that you've done a very nice job with the interface. Very slick.

The "undo" feature resets to the beginning of a phase. This is probably a good idea but it makes managing payment discards a little trickier. If there were a discard area that you could swap cards around until you've chosen your discards this would be ideal. Probably not enough screen space on a phone, though. I can see why you didn't go with a stepped undo as that could be confusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theresa Duringer
United States
California
flag msg tools
Turbine2k5 wrote:
I own both an Android phone and an iPad, so would I need to apply for the beta twice in order to get it for both devices?

You should sign up twice, once for each device.

bubbaxis wrote:
what are the chances of being included in the beta program? How many requests?

We've had about 1,500 requests in the last 24 hours, we're rolling people in in chunks of about 300 at a time to ramp up. If you signed up already you're most likely to get in, and we would especially appreciate feedback from folks familiar with the BGA implementation, like yourself.

TheOneTrueZeke wrote:
If there were a discard area that you could swap cards around until you've chosen your discards this would be ideal. Probably not enough screen space on a phone, though.

We have tried retaining discards on screen until the discard has been fully committed. In a previous incarnation, you could drag the discards back to your hand if you changed your mind, but the trade-off on not seeing the board pulled us away from this. It may be worth revisiting, though!

TheOneTrueZeke wrote:
I can see why you didn't go with a stepped undo as that could be confusing.

Getting undo just right is something we're still negotiating. For multiplayer, we definitely wouldn't want to ever allow undo after new information has been revealed, but for single player it might be OK to have more lenience.

Turbine2k5 wrote:
there seems to be a bit of space off of the opponent's tableaus. Would it be possible to expand their tableaus to show the standard world/dev cost + VPs + other markers?

The space to the right of the tableaus does get filled a bit if you have multiple opponents. We support up to 4 player right now, but we'd like to include 5 - 6 player in the future and have designed this area it to accommodate that update.

Currently you can expand an opponent's tableau by tapping on it. You can also zoom in on any individual card in your opponent's tableau (or in play anywhere) for a closer look. The plan is to have some additional action buttons here, such as 'discard' to gain three military, but we haven't implemented these yet.

Here's a quick preview.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Initial impression from my first game is excellent. The interface is well designed and easy to use (once I figured out I had to drag cards to the center, it's easy to see the status of opponent's goods and disply, and best of all it ran great on my ipad2...its been awhile since there's been a game release I could say that about
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sleep l
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I think it's a wonderful implementation and a pleasure to interact with so far. I love touches like the pile of VP chips.

One thing that I keep messing up is choosing a start world - when exploring, discarding, or paying for developments/worlds, the behavior is to select the cards to be discarded, so I keep reflexively "discarding" the start world I don't want, which actually selects it. Not sure if this is just me, but thought I'd mention it.

Another mistake I made (playing against AI) was accidentally settling a zero-cost world - since there were no cards to choose to pay, I don't think I had the option of confirming or undoing. Definitely user error, but I think I've been spoiled by the undo in Keldon's implementation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the implementation! Would love a 'next game' button for having multiple async games running.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
Do you need to be friends with someone to play online?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
South Lyon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TDuringer wrote:
Well that is good to hear! If you come across rough edges though, we're happy to jump on them. Also, if you want to help me test multiplayer sometime, my friend code is E9G7NR55.

I tried to add you but it didn't do anything. My friend code is 4J462AKK if anyone wants to add me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
Added

I'm at 8MPLHMTT if you need it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Griffard
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I encountered a bug in iOS (10.2.1) on an iPad Mini (ME277LL/A).

Screenshot:

I was using my second Settle ability from Improved Logistics to place Rebel Colony. I had Rebel Cantina to let me settle military worlds. The app requested that I select a settlement power to place the world, but I was unable to do so. The app wasn't frozen, but I couldn't tap on anything to complete the settlement or advance the turn. I ended up closing the app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theresa Duringer
United States
California
flag msg tools
Yeah, that's a bug. We'll get on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Preston
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This feels like a dumb question, but I've been out of the RftG news for awhile; what is the 'NW' expansion? Is that a new one? AA was the last one I played. I heard there was a new one out. My first game had all 3 expansions selected and I started with a new world I didn't recognize.

Looks excellent so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
NW = New (start) Worlds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Preston
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alex Brown wrote:
NW = New (start) Worlds.

Is this not a full expansion? Just a few new start worlds?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Preston
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend code is QB49FV66

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
briforge wrote:
Alex Brown wrote:
NW = New (start) Worlds.

Is this not a full expansion? Just a few new start worlds?

Yes - but many fans just had one of their RFTG wishes fulfilled . They are all neat - simple and unique.

I've friended a few people but can't seem to create a game (I press Create and nothing happens).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also really impressed with the app (especially for an app in beta! - I have played much worse apps that were 'complete!'). I am still relatively new to RftG (5 games in), and I had a lot of challenges understanding the iconography and game flow. I really appreciate the feature in the app that gives you all the powers as text - this helps me as a newish player a lot. Its very exciting that you were able to include the Keldon AI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [24] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.