[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [24] | 

Race for the Galaxy» Forums » General

Subject: Race for the Galaxy iOS / Android beta feedback rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Janolen Alther
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just wanted to add how amazing this is for a beta. You seem to have hit all the major points right out of the gate.

I did have one question will we see a pass and play option at some point?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
janolen wrote:
will we see a pass and play option at some point?

This has been discussed in other threads. Pass and play turns out to be unsatisfying for Race, due to the simultaneous play that is at the core of the game. Players end up having to make far too many "micro-decisions" and are constantly having to pass the phone or tablet back and forth to say "ok" or make a discard.

This is one of those things that *sounds* good in theory, but doesn't work out so well in practice.

To implement it, we would probably need to alter the rules of Race (so that more occurs in a single "action"). This is not something we can do easily or will do lightly, so pass and play will not be implemented soon, if ever.

I do understand the desire for it on a long plane flight, but the best way to play Race in this situation is either vs AIs off-line or to use two devices and the airplane's WiFi and play custom games online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
South Lyon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there is a bug when trying to add friends. If you have 4 friends and open the friends menu, the add friends button isn't there. If I open the custom game and add one of my friends, then the add friends button appears. (iPhone 6S MKR72LL/A iOS 10.3.1)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
or to use two devices and the airplane's WiFi and play custom games online.

Would creating a WiFi hotspot with one device work where there is no WiFi either?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamieson Cobleigh
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had a lot of fun playing this on my iPhone. It seems like a really good implementation, I've only seen one crash and the game didn't lose any state. My only complaints:

1) It took me a while to find the "undo" button. I don't remember if this was called out in the tutorial. If it wasn't, it should at least be briefly mentioned.

2) Playing with NW, I continually screw up the starting setup. You need to discard cards from your hand but select your starting world. I keep accidentally selecting a starting world that I'm trying to discard and having to undo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own a hard copy of the game and play it often. So I jumped right in without looking at the tutorial or reading about the interface.

As of three games in, I am able to learn the interface by simply exploring with one exception. When I need to choose a power, the relevant cards are out lined in green. I've tried tapping them, dragging them, tapping other parts of the screen, but I cannot seem to "choose the power". Eventually I'll either monkey punch it or have to do the tutorial to find out.

I love interfaces that are designed for self discovery from the get go. Great job. "Choosing the power" is the only action I haven't been able to self discover.

PS: I'm not going to get anything done today!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
South Lyon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Budapest wrote:
When I need to choose a power, the relevant cards are out lined in green. I've tried tapping them, dragging them, tapping other parts of the screen, but I cannot seem to "choose the power". Eventually I'll either monkey punch it or have to do the tutorial to find out.

Is this happening in the consume phase? I've noticed that if I tap the good it won't work, but if I tap the card outside of the good it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually choosing a power can happen in a few different phases. In my last game I wanted to use the power "discard a development for temporary military might to settle a military world" (I don't recall the name of the development). I eventually got the development in question to change colors and recieved a new prompt asking me to ok discarding the card. But sadly I'm not sure which of my many taps to the screen actually accomplished it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
Tom Lehmann wrote:
or to use two devices and the airplane's WiFi and play custom games online.

Would creating a WiFi hotspot with one device work where there is no WiFi either?

For that matter, I'm wondering if Bluetooth would be an option as well? AFAIK, that seems to be a better option for users. Whether or not it's easy to implement is another thing entirely though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Budapest wrote:
I love interfaces that are designed for self discovery from the get go. Great job. "Choosing the power" is the only action I haven't been able to self discover.

I haven't played yet so take with a grain of salt, but maybe they could highlight powers the same way they highlight cards, allowing you to highlight and select powers clearly that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
entranced wrote:
Budapest wrote:

I haven't played yet so take with a grain of salt, but maybe they could highlight powers the same way they highlight cards, allowing you to highlight and select powers clearly that way.

It is highlighted. I'm just not sure how I activated it. When you get a chance to try out the app you'll be amazed how much information the app is able to convey. The cards that can be used in any given situation (so far) are highlighted in colors that help convey how they can be used. Even better, 6 point developments in your hand, when selected, show what they are worth if you deployed them. I'm sure there is more that will be revealed the more I play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Haskell
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Loving the implementation so far, just playing against AI.

Just discovered when I accidentally placed Pilgramage World (0 cost), I didn't get option to confirm & undo. I don't recall if this was true with other 0 cost builds or not, but it seemed a flaw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stockton-Pitt
United Kingdom
York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a glitch- in a 3 player game against 2 medium AIs one of them used gambling world and lost the anti just as I was discarding for a development. The gambling results are stuck on the screen with the 'OK' option non-clickable. I can choose my action for the new round, but can't click on OK to activate. I've left the app in that state in case you need more info.

EDIt- iPhone 6 with up to date iOS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PenumbraPenguin
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the details of the new start worlds posted anywhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Budapest wrote:
entranced wrote:
Budapest wrote:

It is highlighted. I'm just not sure how I activated it. When you get a chance to try out the app you'll be amazed how much information the app is able to convey. The cards that can be used in any given situation (so far) are highlighted in colors that help convey how they can be used. Even better, 6 point developments in your hand, when selected, show what they are worth if you deployed them. I'm sure there is more that will be revealed the more I play.

Ok I figured it out and found a bug. It looks like I have to swipe left to activate a card power. The bug is when the AI's tableau is expanded I am unable to swipe the card left. When the AI's tableau is shrunk, I am able to swipe left and activate the power. In the game I am testing the card I am activating is my start world Galactic Trade Emissaries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Android version bug?

I noticed that when trying to create a new profile and name it, using the AOSP keyboard results in one of two scenarios:
1. The keyboard opens, but when it is tapped it then automatically disappears and no keypress registers. (Most common)
2. The app will crash.

I had to change my keyboard to Swiftkey temporarily to create a profile successfully.

Using Cyanogen OS 13.1.2, Android version 6.0.1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
msg tools
Good one - I'll try it out w/ that keyboard implementation and see what I can find. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
s1eep wrote:

One thing that I keep messing up is choosing a start world - when exploring, discarding, or paying for developments/worlds, the behavior is to select the cards to be discarded, so I keep reflexively "discarding" the start world I don't want, which actually selects it. Not sure if this is just me, but thought I'd mention it.

Another mistake I made (playing against AI) was accidentally settling a zero-cost world - since there were no cards to choose to pay, I don't think I had the option of confirming or undoing. Definitely user error, but I think I've been spoiled by the undo in Keldon's implementation.

I agree with both of these.

Amazing implementation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found one bug last night trying to setup multiplayer. I was able to add a couple of friend codes (from here on BGG) just fine, but when I went to add them to the game, once I added the first name, even if I selected the second name it populated the game with the first name again (showing twice). I cancelled the game and started a new one, and if I selected the second name first, I was able to get them both listed as in the game. Sorry if that's confusing, let me know and I can clarify further.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me the app does not start on my Huawei P8 Lite phone (specs below). Just black screen.

Will try on my cheap 7" tablet later.

OS Android OS, v5.0.2 (Lollipop)
Chipset HiSilicon Kirin 620
CPU Octa-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A53
GPU Mali-450MP4
2 Gb RAM, 16 Gb internal storage

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Benjamin
United States
California
flag msg tools
jcobleigh wrote:

1) It took me a while to find the "undo" button. I don't remember if this was called out in the tutorial. If it wasn't, it should at least be briefly mentioned.

Good call, I'll see about getting undo in the tutorial.

jcobleigh wrote:

2) Playing with NW, I continually screw up the starting setup. You need to discard cards from your hand but select your starting world. I keep accidentally selecting a starting world that I'm trying to discard and having to undo.

Thanks, yeah a few people have mentioned this - we'll look into making the UI more clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben McClellan
United States
Brunswick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthservo wrote:
Android version bug?

1. The keyboard opens, but when it is tapped it then automatically disappears and no keypress registers. (Most common)

Had the exact same thing happen a short bit ago.

Other than that very minor issue so far, I'm blown away by how polished the app seems. Kudos!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
West Ward Hough
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A first impression comment when going through the installation of Android: I am wondering why the game needs access to my photos/media/files. I assume this is necessary, but I always hesitate with a purchase when it isn't obvious why this is needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Arnold
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
westwardhough wrote:
A first impression comment when going through the installation of Android: I am wondering why the game needs access to my photos/media/files. I assume this is necessary, but I always hesitate with a purchase when it isn't obvious why this is needed.

It can probably save screenshots?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PenumbraPenguin wrote:
Are the details of the new start worlds posted anywhere?

See this thread:

New start worlds...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [24] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.