Michael Korson
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
You don't really want to do that. . .
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Summerer uses this term a fair amount on the podcast, and while I'm willing to accept it might be an alternative-nutrition choice, somehow I doubt he's talking about the appetizing/fiber-content qualities of board games.

What does 'crunchy' mean when describing a game? It's not a term in the BGG Glossary and it's usage by others when I searched the forums doesn't appear to suggest a uniform definition or usage (unless of course when applied to generally accepted food products ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
meaty

as in, "it has some meat to it"

Probably just means it has some depth and/or interesting decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Proud to run STAG - the Sevenoaks & Tonbridge Association of Gamers
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always assumed it meant there was a lot of "number crunching" to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
A game you can sink your teeth in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Courtwright
United States
Newport
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
meaty

That's interesting. I've always used 'crunchy' to indicate that a game is rules heavy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RagallachMC wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
meaty

That's interesting. I've always used 'crunchy' to indicate that a game is rules heavy.

Maybe. A game can be "heavy" while having very simple rules. I would still describe such games as meaty or crunchy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Random Fleming
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And not to confuse a game with "chunky". I have heard the DT mention this term before too. I believe Chunky refers to big, beefy components (i.e., King of Tokyo dice).

I mention it because occasionally they will describe a game with many components as being "chunky."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe White
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
Collector
badge
Collector
mbmbmbmbmb
All of these terms are going to mean something different to each person but here are the ways I have heard them typically used.

Crunchy and Meaty are not the same.

Crunchy tends to mean there are a bunch of interacting rules that can be manipulated for the players benefit. This is typically used in a RPG discussion where a system gets "crunch" books (supplement books that add a lot of new rules/deeper systems to get more of what the player/gm want). It also pertains to deeper board games where the mechanisms are in the foreground and the multitude of them can be manipulated to interact in interesting ways.

Meaty tends to mean that the game has deep and thoughtful decisions, "something on the bone" that makes for a more fulfilling experience.

They can both apply to the same game but don't have to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Sheridan
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My impression when Eric uses it is in line with those who have said it has something to do with being rules heavy, or somewhat difficult to learn...this may also be a meaty game, but not necessarily

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Korson
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
You don't really want to do that. . .
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
RagallachMC wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
meaty

Maybe. A game can be "heavy" while having very simple rules. I would still describe such games as meaty or crunchy.

It doesn't appear that my initial finding that there's no consistent understanding/definition was too far off base whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Frank
United States
Brooklyn
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maklen9 wrote:
Eric Summerer uses this term a fair amount on the podcast, and while I'm willing to accept it might be an alternative-nutrition choice, somehow I doubt he's talking about the appetizing/fiber-content qualities of board games.

What does 'crunchy' mean when describing a game? It's not a term in the BGG Glossary and it's usage by others when I searched the forums doesn't appear to suggest a uniform definition or usage (unless of course when applied to generally accepted food products ).

In the immortal words of Justice Potter Stewart, "I know it when I see it." To me, it shorthands a bunch of concepts, including but not limited to complexity, rules, length of play, time to explain/learn, and strategic decisionmaking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Selander
United States
Ooltewah
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I might want his meaning to have something to do with neo-hippies, I think he very simply means that the game's decision-making gives a lot for your brain to chew (crunch) on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
A game you can sink your teeth in.

Both literally and figuratively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bonnie Doiron
Canada
London
Ontario (ON)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just imagine that Eric is munching on it between takes and therefore can unequivocally say whether or not the game is 'soft' or 'crunchy'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always interpreted "crunchy" as "thinky", as in, when it's your turn, it takes a lot of thinking to figure out the best move to make. I'll sometimes conflate it with "heavy", but I've never intepreted it to mean "mathy". I could see "meaty"....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Mack
United States
Warrenton
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always took it as an off-shoot of the phrase "crunching numbers" which traditional means doing a lot of math or problem solving to figure something out, like a complex calculation or statistic. Translated to board games I would tend to think that means a game with some complex interactions in the mechanics. In other words; If I take Action A, then this happens which also causes this happen, which means I can't do this, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KenshinPhoto wrote:
I've always took it as an off-shoot of the phrase "crunching numbers" which traditional means doing a lot of math or problem solving to figure something out, like a complex calculation or statistic. Translated to board games I would tend to think that means a game with some complex interactions in the mechanics. In other words; If I take Action A, then this happens which also causes this happen, which means I can't do this, etc.
I agree. Number crunching is the way I have taken him to
mean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Waddingham
United States
Maryville
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bulkoth wrote:
All of these terms are going to mean something different to each person but here are the ways I have heard them typically used.

Crunchy and Meaty are not the same.

Crunchy tends to mean there are a bunch of interacting rules that can be manipulated for the players benefit. This is typically used in a RPG discussion where a system gets "crunch" books (supplement books that add a lot of new rules/deeper systems to get more of what the player/gm want). It also pertains to deeper board games where the mechanisms are in the foreground and the multitude of them can be manipulated to interact in interesting ways.

Meaty tends to mean that the game has deep and thoughtful decisions, "something on the bone" that makes for a more fulfilling experience.

They can both apply to the same game but don't have to.

This. In my mind, Meaty/Crunchy/Heavy are all unique terms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dignam
United States
Lithia
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It goes great with milk and doesn't get soggy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Selander
United States
Ooltewah
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The crunch enhancer is a non-nutritive cereal varnish. It's semi-permeable, not osmotic. It coats and seals the flake, preventing the milk from penetrating it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
Life Ain't No Zombiefarm
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have guessed, that a crunchy games not need to have necessarily meat, but definitely bones. If you would take out the bones, it wouldn't be crunchy, would it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I've always taken it to mean games with lots of interlocking mechanisms, like gears crunching together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A crunchy game, to me, is one where there is a lot of consideration that has to be given not only to mull through your choices of action but also the possible reaction and then trying to combo everything up in your brain and coming up with the choice with optimal positive outcome and minimla negative outcome. The "crunch" need not just be straight numbers but any kind of relevant empirical data.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Control Denied
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
maklen9 wrote:

I always thought it meant that there were miniatures. ::shrug::

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
denyeverything wrote:
I always thought it meant that there were miniatures. ::shrug::

Only if you step on them.

Have you ever stepped on LEGO(tm) bricks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.