Kyle Garfield
United States
West Point
flag msg tools
I don't know what role I am really playing in this game because if I have to come up with the Bishop, that makes me a stake president, right, but the rest of it is Bishopric work... I've done a little of this work in real life, organizing every auxilliary presidency, so I thought I'd really dig this game.

Game play

This card game plays round-robin, as you'd expect, you are collection sets of ward members who are suited to fill various presidencies that make up an LDS ward (read: local congregation.) Each organization needs a president, two councilors and a secretary. As soon as you get a complete set, you can play them down, like in Rummy, or Phase 10.

You draw a card every turn. There are attack cards where you can break up a set that someone has put down. This leads to the famous lobsters in buckets. Everyone can pull the one who is pulled ahead down. Not a favorite mechanic of mine, but perhaps it is to help mitigate the luck factor inherent in such a card game.

The first player to reach a certain number of complete organization wins the game.

I hate to tell you what to do but...
I'd play this game without the attack cards and play it as a drafting game instead! Like 7 Wonders or Sushi-go. Collect the same sets, lay them down as you get them, but everyone progresses at the same pace and whoever completes the most by the end wins.

Even though the game is simpler than I like, each card has a different person with a unique quirk about them that pokes fun at LDS culture, in a tasteful way. This helps the theme, and I get sucked in even though I'm only collecting sets of colored cards. That guy is going to be a rockstar Sunday school president! The attack cards make the theme richer too, even though I prefer to play without them.

It's anyone's game and the lobsters make it so.

The attack cards make it so, otherwise, you aren't competing for limited ward members and feeling delight when you snatch an elders quorum president before someone else can. Mostly weak. And I confess, playing it my way doesn't help that. But at least you are competing for limited resources!

Learning Curve
Very, very low.

You do have to wait your turn, but they are short and there's not a lot to analyze. My way, everyone plays on every turn. Just sayin'.

What’s not to Like?
My problem is that I play a lot of boardgames and see this as weak on the mechanic and depth side. I can compensate for that. But if you like what you can generally pick up from the shelf at Walmart and Target, then this is probably right up your alley. I know, I've seen Ticket to ride at Walmart. It was a glorious day.

Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.