Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume Omega Leader completely negates her ability if locked but the XWing wiki for OL is confusing here:

"Adding or subtracting dice (i.e. Jan Ors) and canceling die results (i.e. Crack Shot) do not count as modifying dice."

But later it seems to contradict itself.

"However, game effects originating from ships that Omega Leader has locked that add die results (C-3PO, Advanced Targeting Computer, Accuracy Corrector, etc.) do count as modifying dice and cannot be used."

What's the deal here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lozito
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The main distinction between a pilot skill like Jan Ors and Norra Wexley is that Jan adds a die to the pool whereas Norra adds a die result to the pool.

FFG considers adding a die result to be an example of dice modification. Technically I assume it's because you are adding a die that is set to a side ... e.g., modified to be on that side.

Whereas it does not consider adding a die (that you have to roll and take the result) to be a type of modification.

X-Wing Rulebook wrote:
Modify Attack Dice: During this step, players may resolve abilities and spend tokens that allow them to modify attack dice. This includes adding die results, changing die results, and rerolling dice.

So, it would not negate a pilot skill like Jan Ors (adding a die), but would indeed negate Norra Wexley (adding a die result).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can add a die with a particular face showing (Finn), but not a result without a die....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Alliance Overhaul? Are both (the front and rear arc) bonuses negated as well? I assume so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thebard8 wrote:
What about Alliance Overhaul? Are both (the front and rear arc) bonuses negated as well? I assume so.

The front bonus is an additional die, so it's okay. The rear bonus is a die modification, so it's blocked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Alexander
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thebard8 wrote:

No. Omega Leader doesn't stop the extra die to the front. Rolling more, fewer, or extra dice isn't a modification.

OL does stop the focus->crit effect to the rear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thespaceinvader -
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mlvanbie wrote:
You can add a die with a particular face showing (Finn), but not a result without a die....

Wut?

No.

OL blocks Finn. Finn is adding a blank result.

It's not possible to add a result in x-wing without adding a die set to the corresponding face to the pool of dice. That's how adding results works, technically, though a lot of people don't bother.

The distinction lies in whether the die is being added before rolling (e.g. Miranda's ability, Jan pilot's ability, range bonuses, obstruction bonuses, Special Forces and Alliance overhaul front-arc bonuses, etc), or being added after rolling, set to a specific result (e.g. Finn, Backdraft's rear arc ability, ATC, spending an evade token, etc etc etc).

OL:

ONLY triggers when he is attacking or being attacked by the person he has locked. In all other situations, his ability fails to trigger.

When triggered, ONLY prevents modification of dice by the target he has locked, to wit:
- rerolling dice
- changing the results of dice (including changing 0 results, so Keyan can't spend his stress, Garven can't spend his focus to pass it on to someone else)
- adding results

When triggered, dice can be modified by someone other than the target he has locked though, specifically:
- Himself - Juke, Predator, etc
- Palpatine, on a ship other than the one he's shooting/being shot by
- M9G8 on a ship other than the one he's shooting/being shot by
- Other similar cases yet to be published.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right that Finn should not work; I had forgetten how he was worded. Frighteningly, this means that you can't even spend Evade tokens against Omega Leader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thespaceinvader -
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mlvanbie wrote:
You are right that Finn should not work; I had forgetten how he was worded. Frighteningly, this means that you can't even spend Evade tokens against Omega Leader.

Correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cowlishaw
msg tools
Absolutely. The only things you can do against Omega Leader are:

~ Roll extra dice which are rolled freely and stick with the result they roll (such as Range 1 or Range 3 bonuses, Jan Ors, proton rockets, etc.)

~ Modify the dice where the modification is done by another ship which Omega Leader does not have a target lock on . Note that area bonuses that say "a friendly ship at range 1 may reroll" are not good enough; the attacking ship is still modifying, it's just being allowed to by the presence of jonus/howlrunner/serissu/whoever, and is forbidden from using it by Omega Leader. Currently the only upgrades which 'reach in' to the roll from a third ship and modify them themselves are Palpatine and M9-G8.

'Adding a result' is considered to be putting a die into the pool that is set to X result - and setting it to X result would be modifying, so it's not allowed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Somewhat bizarrely, you are allowed to cancel your results so Wampa can turn a natural or Palpatine crit into a face-up damage card. You could also use Accuracy Corrector to remove all your results and then not be able to do more damage (the second part to the ability is optional). Maybe if you had gunner and were worried that your one-hit roll on six dice might be let through....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.